Author Topic: Bill Clinton: New voting laws 'assault' on values  (Read 2607 times)

Offline happyg

Bill Clinton: New voting laws 'assault' on values
« on: February 27, 2014, 08:38:16 pm »
Former President Clinton said Wednesday the greatest “assault” on the United States’ values are new restrictive voting laws springing up across the country.

In a five-minute video, Clinton announced a new initiative by the Democratic National Committee to defend voting rights at a time when, he said, opponents of progress want fewer people to vote.

"There is no greater assault on our core values than the rampant efforts to restrict the right to vote," Clinton said.
He added: "Now all across the country, we are seeing a determined effort to turn the clock back, an effort taking many different forms."

Earlier this week, Vice President Biden went even further, calling laws in North Carolina, Texas and Alabama examples of hate.

Clinton cited laws that have shortened voting hours and pared back early voting, as well as measures requiring increased identification.

"They are all designed to make it harder for working people — especially people of color, the elderly, those with disabilities and young college students — to get to the polls," he said.

Attorney General Eric Holder has launched lawsuits in Texas and North Carolina aimed at the new voting laws.

Clinton mentioned the governor's race in Virginia last year, in which he said Republicans predicted their only path to victory would be decreased turnout on Election Day. Democrat Terry McAuliffe, for whom Clinton campaigned, eventually won the race over Republican Ken Cuccinelli.

The DNC effort will aim to register more people, simplify the process and make sure all voters are counted. Clinton said it would take the form of legislation, education and advocacy.

As an example of past reform, Clinton named the National Voter Registration Act, which he signed in 1993, that allowed people to register to vote when getting a driver's license or dealing with other state or local government agencies.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/199425-bill-clinton-new-voting-laws-assault-on-values#ixzz2uYam0cuX
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Offline sinkspur

Re: Bill Clinton: New voting laws 'assault' on values
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »
The reason that Democrats are not getting any traction with their over-the-top rhetoric about Voter ID is that voters KNOW that Voter ID makes sense.  It's reasonable and rational.

Cutting back on early voting, however, is counter-productive.  It looks mean and it is mean.  Hell, I love early voting and lots of other Republicans do too.  Why cut back on it?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:05:35 pm »
The reason that Democrats are not getting any traction with their over-the-top rhetoric about Voter ID is that voters KNOW that Voter ID makes sense.  It's reasonable and rational.

Cutting back on early voting, however, is counter-productive.  It looks mean and it is mean.  Hell, I love early voting and lots of other Republicans do too.  Why cut back on it?

Agreed.  If we got our butts out and helped our side get to the polls the way the Dims do, no election would be close.

On a related note, I heard Prager mention something recently:  why is it that when recounts occur, only the Dim side finds votes?  The Republicans and Libertarians never do.  That's really odd.  The Dims always find boxes of already-cast ballots in someone's trunk.  He said they vote in 2 places:  at the polls and at someone's trunk.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:34:40 am »
[[ Cutting back on early voting, however, is counter-productive.  It looks mean and it is mean.  Hell, I love early voting and lots of other Republicans do too.  Why cut back on it? ]]

Nope, it's common sense.

Every new-fangled introduction to the voting process, including (but not limited to):
- early voting
- motor voter
- all kinds of "helpful" registration schemes
- provisional ballots
- electronic voting without a paper trail
- mail-in voting
- absentee ballots (with the exception of military and infirm)

... is a thinly-veiled attempt to introduce fraud into the system.

The voting process should be simple, as it was in the proverbial "old days". That is:
- You show up on election day to vote
- If you haven't pre-registered within a specific time frame, you don't vote
- If they don't know who you are, and you can't prove who you are, you don't vote.
- Only absentee ballots accepted are as above (from people who _really_ can't be there)

Call it as mean-spirited as you want, I don't give a damn.

If left unchecked, voter fraud is going to destroy any chance of getting things righted again (not that I believe there's much chance of that, anyway).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:35:28 am by Fishrrman »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:40:48 am »
[[ Cutting back on early voting, however, is counter-productive.  It looks mean and it is mean.  Hell, I love early voting and lots of other Republicans do too.  Why cut back on it? ]]

Nope, it's common sense.

Every new-fangled introduction to the voting process, including (but not limited to):
- early voting
- motor voter
- provisional ballots
- mail-in voting

The voting process should be simple, as it was in the proverbial "old days". That is:
- If they don't know who you are, and you can't prove who you are, you don't vote.
- Only absentee ballots accepted are as above (from people who _really_ can't be there)

If left unchecked, voter fraud is going to destroy any chance of getting things righted again (not that I believe there's much chance of that, anyway).

Uh, there is no widespread evidence of "voter fraud" anywhere.  Yes, there was a recent story of 70 people who improperly voted, and other stories of a person here or there. 

But it's silly to restrict voting opportunities.  Voter ID is an entirely different matter; THAT is where fraud can occur.  But allowing someone to show up a couple of weeks before an election to cast a ballot at their leisure so they don't have to stand in line is only common sense.

I say let voters decide.  I'm betting most voters like the convenience of early voting.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:57:20 am »

Nope, it's common sense.

- early voting
- motor voter
- provisional ballots
- mail-in voting

You saved me a lot of typing, thanks.

One word comes to mind, responsibility. Obama went to NC in 08 and overnight people could vote for nearly 2 weeks before. Now people can still vote early but not for weeks or some states a month ahead. The dems like this because they can stuff the ballot box for weeks busing in voters.

Bill Clinton speaking like this shows he is not a good ole guy from Arkansas that feels your pain. He and his wife are as corrupt as Obama. This also shows the desperation of the democrats that they are complaining about this.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:10:25 am by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:06:32 am »
This is one of the reasons Clinton is screaming all of the voters rights rhetoric.

If someone cannot make time to vote TEN DAYS before the election day, there is a severe problem outside of voting.

Why doesn't Holder cease the law-suit against NC and just bus in his voters and dead people ballots now? Oh wait, the bused in people will need ID.

NC counties reduce early voting hours for primary

By GARY D. ROBERTSON-Associated Press Thursday, February 27, 2014

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Almost a third of North Carolina’s 100 counties have received permission from the State Board of Elections to reduce early-voting hours heading into the May 6 primary below what last year’s elections overhaul law demanded of them.

The law, pushed through by state Republican leaders, remains a divisive issue with legal challenges as the upcoming primary provides a key test of how new rules will work before the November general election.

The law actually decreased the number of early-voting days leading to an election from 17 days to 10, but it came with a qualification. Counties would still have to offer at least the same number of cumulative hours for people to vote ahead of election day - compared to the 2010 primary.

Republican Gov. Pat McCrory had defended the divisive elections law, which also includes photo ID requirements and no more same-day registration during early voting, in part by pointing repeatedly to the hourly requirement. It’s supposed to make counties expand daily voting hours or open additional voting sites during the 10-day period.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/27/nc-counties-reduce-early-voting-hours-for-primary/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:13:21 am by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:13:28 am »
You saved me a lot of typing, thanks.

One word comes to mind, responsibility. Obama went to NC in 08 and overnight people could vote for nearly 2 weeks before. Now people can still vote early but not for weeks or some states a month ahead. The dems like this because they can stuff the ballot box for weeks busing in voters.

Bill Clinton speaking like this shows he is not a good ole guy from Arkansas that feels your pain. He and his wife are as corrupt as Obama. This also shows the desperation of the democrats that they are complaining about this.

Where's the evidence that voters are bussed in "for weeks" anywhere? 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:50:44 am »
Voters were bused in, in WI.
Election workers reporting people bused in to vote.
Dem workers ACORN? were going to mental wards to get the D vote in NC
Overseas military ballots were not counted.
Obama got over 100% of the vote in Philly and some other places.

Do the research yourself.  The woman on the news confessing to busing (riding people) to vote in vans and the reports of people paying people to vote. No matter what I post I have a feeling you will say it is not enough evidence. But common sense prevails that there is a huge Obama get out the vote cheat machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8itpv7yasHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHDyVr61JU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iswh2ZUN8Q

Military Absentee Ballots Delivered One Day Late, Would Have Swung Election For Romney
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/military-absentee-ballots-delivered-one-day-late-would-have-swung-election-for-romney/

http://mediatrackers.org/wisconsin/2012/11/06/federal-job-corps-vans-used-to-bus-voters-in-wisconsin

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=9615

http://www.truethevote.org/news/true-the-vote-announces-new-findings-of-voter-fraud-in-ohio-new-york-florida-and-rhode-island

http://www.truethevote.org/news/how-widespread-is-voter-fraud-2012-facts-figures

http://www.wnd.com/2012/11/the-big-list-of-vote-fraud-reports/

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/22-signs-that-voter-fraud-is-wildly-out-of-control-and-the-election-was-a-sham
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:01:15 am by Gazoo »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:57:26 am »
I don't know...

I see the words "Clinton... assault on values" in one head line and I figure I'm experiencing some sort of messed up 1989 laced crippy flashback, and expect to see pictures of Monica Lewinsky in that stupid beret floating up out of my monitor.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:59:28 am »
Voter ID is the sine qua non of fighting election fraud.  Without a robust means of determining who is, and who is not, entitled to vote, getting rid of all early voting methods won't put much of a dent in existing election fraud because those who wish to engage in fraud will simply use the time-honored methods of rounding up a bunch of "voters", giving them the minimum info needed to satisfy the poll worker - like the name of one of the hundreds of thousands of dead people still on voter rolls - and then running them around to a whole bunch of different polling places to max out the number of votes they cast.

With a robust means of voter ID, it won't matter how early someone wants to vote, their early ballot will be subjected to the same stringent ID requirements, will be tossed if they cannot demonstrate their entitlement to vote, and once the fact of that early ballot is associated with their voter ID in the election district's records, will ensure that they don't try to cast any additional votes.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 04:06:15 am »
Voters were bused in, in WI.
Election workers reporting people bused in to vote.
Dem workers ACORN? were going to mental wards to get the D vote in NC
Overseas military ballots were not counted.
Obama got over 100% of the vote in Philly and some other places.

Do the research yourself.  The woman on the news confessing to busing (riding people) to vote in vans and the reports of people paying people to vote. No matter what I post I have a feeling you will say it is not enough evidence. But common sense prevails that there is a huge Obama get out the vote cheat machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iswh2ZUN8Q

Military Absentee Ballots Delivered One Day Late, Would Have Swung Election For Romney
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/military-absentee-ballots-delivered-one-day-late-would-have-swung-election-for-romney/

http://mediatrackers.org/wisconsin/2012/11/06/federal-job-corps-vans-used-to-bus-voters-in-wisconsin

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=9615

http://www.truethevote.org/news/true-the-vote-announces-new-findings-of-voter-fraud-in-ohio-new-york-florida-and-rhode-island

http://www.truethevote.org/news/how-widespread-is-voter-fraud-2012-facts-figures

http://www.wnd.com/2012/11/the-big-list-of-vote-fraud-reports/

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/22-signs-that-voter-fraud-is-wildly-out-of-control-and-the-election-was-a-sham

Were these people registered to vote? 

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:05:53 am »
I don't know...

I see the words "Clinton... assault on values" in one head line and I figure I'm experiencing some sort of messed up 1989 laced crippy flashback, and expect to see pictures of Monica Lewinsky in that stupid beret floating up out of my monitor.

I thought I told you to lay off the acid!  :silly:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 06:09:44 am »
I don't know...

I have hundreds of jpgs from the "blue dress" days.  They go back to Whitewater.

...wait....there's a knock at the door.....   :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:32 am »
I have hundreds of jpgs from the "blue dress" days.  They go back to Whitewater.

...wait....there's a knock at the door.....   :pondering:

Was it a man that was in a black sedan? Did he look like inspector gadget or men in black?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:27:56 am »
Voter ID is the sine qua non of fighting election fraud.  Without a robust means of determining who is, and who is not, entitled to vote, getting rid of all early voting methods won't put much of a dent in existing election fraud because those who wish to engage in fraud will simply use the time-honored methods of rounding up a bunch of "voters", giving them the minimum info needed to satisfy the poll worker - like the name of one of the hundreds of thousands of dead people still on voter rolls - and then running them around to a whole bunch of different polling places to max out the number of votes they cast.

With a robust means of voter ID, it won't matter how early someone wants to vote, their early ballot will be subjected to the same stringent ID requirements, will be tossed if they cannot demonstrate their entitlement to vote, and once the fact of that early ballot is associated with their voter ID in the election district's records, will ensure that they don't try to cast any additional votes.

You hit it so square on the head I heard the bang of the hammer.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 01:29:03 pm »

Nope, it's common sense.

- early voting
- motor voter
- provisional ballots
- mail-in voting

Spot on!!

goopo

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 02:05:14 pm »
Were these people registered to vote?

Same day registration says yes.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
And just what, pray tell, does Bill Clinton know about "values"???
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »
A subscriber to Obamacare must present  ID to get insured. In Bill's world, if someone doesn't have ID, does that mean that person doesn't get insurance? Would that be suppressing certain people who have no identification? And, that person would be subject to a fine for not having an ID. They want it both ways, and thinking people can see through it.

These people use any means they deem necessary to get votes, including illegal techniques to get their liberal person elected. Republicans should publically laugh this off, and make the democrats look like the idiots they are.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
A subscriber to Obamacare must present  ID to get insured. In Bill's world, if someone doesn't have ID, does that mean that person doesn't get insurance? Would that be suppressing certain people who have no identification? And, that person would be subject to a fine for not having an ID. They want it both ways, and thinking people can see through it.

These people use any means they deem necessary to get votes, including illegal techniques to get their liberal person elected. Republicans should publically laugh this off, and make the democrats look like the idiots they are.

NC protesters of voter ID need to show an ID to Protest

Offline happyg

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:47 pm »
Good one, Gazoo!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
Because the more time you have to vote, the more time you have to run around to multiple precincts to vote. Early voting encourages voter fraud. Keeping the voting window relatively small helps make sure that people can vote, but vote only once.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »
Exactly, because fake voter IDs are SO hard to produce, don'tcha know.

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »
Because the more time you have to vote, the more time you have to run around to multiple precincts to vote. Early voting encourages voter fraud. Keeping the voting window relatively small helps make sure that people can vote, but vote only once.

Then absentee ballots should not be allowed.  period.  are we prepared to take that step?