Author Topic: Brain-dead teen Jahi McMath's mom says girl's "much better physically" since being moved  (Read 1755 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-dead-teen-jahi-mcmaths-mom-says-shes-much-better-physicially-since-being-moved/

The mother of a brain-dead teen who was involved in a legal battle to keep her on a ventilator says the girl is “much better physically” since she was moved to a long-term care facility about a month ago.

Jahi Mcmath’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, said on the “Keep Jahi Mcmath on life support” Facebook page that her daughter has improved since she left Children’s Hospital Oakland in California on Jan. 6. She thanked supporters who helped move her daughter from the medical center to the undisclosed location, adding that she is sure that Jahi is not suffering.

“Thank you to all of the people who view my daughter as the sweet, innocent, 13 year old girl that she is and not a dead body or a corpse, I deeply appreciate that. Thank you to everyone who hasn't forgot how my daughter got into this situation in the first place. No one should have to go through this,” she wrote.

Offline happyg

One of the comments:
Pabsk67
February 20, 2014 9:9PM
This is the same family that disobeyed doctors orders and fed her and made her talk during recovery. Then they themselves suctioned out her bleeding mouth and had Jahi herself do some suctioning. Jahi needed to remain still and silent after surgery yet her family allowed her visitors and food. I truly believe THEY contributed to her bleeding out and now they are trying to blame the hospital.

If true, I didn't know this.

Offline Rapunzel

One of the comments:
If true, I didn't know this.

Don't know if it is true, but did read something similar at the time she was being moved from the hospital.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

After reading about her bleeding, something popped into my mind that happened 60 years ago. My twin sisters, who were six at the time, and I was seven, had our tonsils removed at the same time. They laid me at the foot of the bed because I was bleeding too much. At one point, I woke up and vomited blood all over. It seemed like gallons, and spew on the walls and all over my sister's bed.

I had no buzzer to call the nurse, and when they saw the mess, they gave my sister heck for not calling them. Anyway, my other sister and I were released the next day, and Carolyn, the one I splashed with blood had to stay a few more days because of all the bleeding. It just NOW occurred to me that they kept the wrong kid!  :silly:  How strange to remember this after all that time.

Offline raml

I had my tonsils out at 5 and I also threw up blood all over they had me in a crib and wouldn't allow parents to be near by back then so I laid in blood filled bed for a a very long time and I remember crying and how bad it hurt to cry and being cold my parents later told me it was about 4 hours that I saw no one and no one checked me. That was 63 years ago and I still remember the fear and how the hospital really ignored you back then. They didn't seem to concerned about my throwing up and they let me go home with my folks the same day. I was glad they did I didn't want my parents out of my sight for awhile.

Offline happyg

I had my tonsils out at 5 and I also threw up blood all over they had me in a crib and wouldn't allow parents to be near by back then so I laid in blood filled bed for a a very long time and I remember crying and how bad it hurt to cry and being cold my parents later told me it was about 4 hours that I saw no one and no one checked me. That was 63 years ago and I still remember the fear and how the hospital really ignored you back then. They didn't seem to concerned about my throwing up and they let me go home with my folks the same day. I was glad they did I didn't want my parents out of my sight for awhile.

They treated us pretty rough, too. They promised us ice cream for a snack, but didn't bring it until after we were asleep, and gave us heck for pestering them. Jackie had to go to the bathroom, but there wasn't one in the room, and they had her in a crib because another bed would not fit in the room. She eventually wet the bed, while crying, and the nurses gave her heck. It seemed like the nurses were always hollering at us. We had never been away from home, so were afraid, and even more afraid of the nurses.

Offline Rapunzel

They treated us pretty rough, too. They promised us ice cream for a snack, but didn't bring it until after we were asleep, and gave us heck for pestering them. Jackie had to go to the bathroom, but there wasn't one in the room, and they had her in a crib because another bed would not fit in the room. She eventually wet the bed, while crying, and the nurses gave her heck. It seemed like the nurses were always hollering at us. We had never been away from home, so were afraid, and even more afraid of the nurses.

I was three. Basically remember my grandparents took me for the surgery. I can still remember being on the roll-away bed in the living room (where they could keep an eye on me) and asking for ice cream.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Bringing back memories for me too.  My sister and I had our tonsils taken out at the same time.  I remember the promises of ice cream afterwards, but my sister was throwing up all over the floor and my throat hurt too bad for me to want to eat ice cream.  It was a Catholic hospital, I do remember the nuns were very nice to us though.  But what a rip-off!  I didn't get any ice cream, it hurt too bad to eat! 8888crybaby
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline happyg

Bringing back memories for me too.  My sister and I had our tonsils taken out at the same time.  I remember the promises of ice cream afterwards, but my sister was throwing up all over the floor and my throat hurt too bad for me to want to eat ice cream.  It was a Catholic hospital, I do remember the nuns were very nice to us though.  But what a rip-off!  I didn't get any ice cream, it hurt too bad to eat! 8888crybaby

My throat never hurt. I remember the day I got home, Dad fixed me mushroom soup, and noticed I was eating an apple. He panicked! The worst part for me was ether. As I was going out, I saw lions and tigers roaring at me. I remember fighting like hell and screaming for my parents.

Offline alicewonders

My throat never hurt. I remember the day I got home, Dad fixed me mushroom soup, and noticed I was eating an apple. He panicked! The worst part for me was ether. As I was going out, I saw lions and tigers roaring at me. I remember fighting like hell and screaming for my parents.

OMG!  You just brought up another memory of mine!  I remember the worst part for me too - when I was going out I remember seeing this face - looked like an evil mask - but it was a scary face and hearing it say, "V v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v .....".  It was just a scary voice saying the letter "V" over and over!  God, I had forgotten about that!

Offline happyg

OMG!  You just brought up another memory of mine!  I remember the worst part for me too - when I was going out I remember seeing this face - looked like an evil mask - but it was a scary face and hearing it say, "V v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v .....".  It was just a scary voice saying the letter "V" over and over!  God, I had forgotten about that!

Those masks and ether were something else, weren't they?

Offline alicewonders

Those masks and ether were something else, weren't they?

Yeah, it was probably just the doctor looking at me and the "V" being the sound of a machine or something.  Terrifying for a small child! 

And I remember my parents having it done to me and my sister because we were getting so many sore throats and the doctor advised that they have it done.  I'm sitting here at home right now with a SORE THROAT!  It didn't help!

Offline mountaineer

Yikes, I hadn't thought about my tonsillectomy for years. I was 9 and it wasn't so bad. There was one gruff nurse - kind of a Nurse Ratched -and I drew caricatures of her, which amused my parents to no end. Thankfully, no complications, though. My throat hurt too bad for ice cream and all I could take for a few days was 7-Up, so I lost my baby fat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Luckily, today tonsils aren't yanked out indiscriminately at the first sign of a sore throat.

Nature put them there for a reason. As part of the immune system, the tonsils fight infection; they are first line of defense in the throat, and when they are doing their job fighting infections, you get a sore throat. The tonsils usually swell a bit and get red when that's happening.

Of course, there is an alternate reason. So that doctors can bill. Hey, Cadillacs aren't cheap.

Offline flowers

It was in 72 when my tonsils where removed. I remember the patient in the other bed was Brian Keiths daughter. He came in to see her. I was in the operating room when he came. Mom met him. It was a big tado. All I remember they lied to me telling me I could have ice cream after the operation. They lied it wasn't ice cream. LOL!!!