Author Topic: Obama strives to be 'my brother’s keeper'  (Read 1021 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama strives to be 'my brother’s keeper'
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/199406-obama-strives-to-be-my-brothers-keeper

February 27, 2014, 06:00 am
Obama strives to be 'my brother’s keeper'

By Justin Sink

President Obama on Thursday will establish a new interagency task force charged with promoting opportunities for young men of color through an examination of government policies and programs.

The program, dubbed “My Brother’s Keeper,” will ask businesses and foundations to fund programs across the country designed to keep young minority men employed or in school and out of jail.

“For decades, opportunity has lagged behind for boys and young men of color. But across the country, communities are adopting approaches to help put these boys and young men on the path to success,” a White House official said in a statement. “The president wants to build on that work.”

The president will announce that foundations supporting the initiative have pledged at least $200 million over the next five years to “find and rapidly spread solutions that have the highest potential for impact,” the White House said.

Efforts receiving commitments will include those targeting early child development and school readiness, parenting and parent engagement, third grade literacy, and school discipline reform.

Programs helping reduce minority interactions with the criminal justice system and improve health and economic opportunities will also be among those evaluated by the task force, which has three months to design an plan for coordinating the $200 million in commitments.

According to the White House, the panel will also work across the federal government to assess the impact of federal policies on boys of color, create an online portal of programs that have a proven record of success, and recommend ways the White House can continue to partner with the private sector on outreach efforts.

Obama will announce that the effort will be chaired by Assistant to the President and Cabinet Secretary Broderick Johnson at a ceremony in the East Room of the White House.

Colin Powell, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, NBA hall-of-famer Magic Johnson, and NBA commissioner Adam Silver are also expected to be in attendance, as will business leaders, faith leaders, state and local officials, and participants of a youth guidance program called “Becoming a Man” that targets boys on Chicago’s South Side.

The president has met repeatedly with the group, and heralded it as an example of how small interventions can help keep young minorities out of trouble.

Also in attendance will be Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, according to the network’s media reporter, Howard Kurtz.

During an interview with O’Reilly ahead of the Super Bowl earlier this month, Obama defended his administration’s efforts to address problems within minority communities.

“We address it explicitly all the time. … Talking about the importance of men taking responsibility for their children. Talking about the importance of young people delaying gratification. Talking about the importance of when it comes to child rearing, paying child support, spending time with your kids, reading with them. So, whether it’s getting publicity or not is a whole different question,” Obama said.

Obama first hinted at the initiative in his State of the Union address late last month.

“I'm reaching out to some of America's leading foundations and corporations on a new initiative to help more young men of color facing especially tough odds stay on track and reach their full potential,” Obama said in the speech.

The White House says the effort is necessary because “boys and young men of color, regardless of socio-economic background, are disproportionately at risk throughout the journey from their youngest years to college and career.” A White House official said that black and Hispanic boys are far more likely to read below proficiency levels by fourth grade, and young men of color are more than six times as likely to be victims of murder than their white peers.

The program also corresponds with the president’s “Year of Action” messaging campaign, which has focused on Obama’s efforts to use his regulatory authorities and ability to corral philanthropic support to achieve policy proposals without needing legislation. Earlier this year, Obama rallied private corporations, foundations and universities to improve school access for poor children and end discrimination against the long-term unemployed in hiring practices.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Obama strives to be 'my brother’s keeper'
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:55 pm »
I guess Caucasian at risk white kids aren't considered 'of color' enough to warrant inclusion in the program.  :whistle:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »
Stay tuned tomorrow, he will pull a unicorn out of his hat.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
I am so sick of that phrase being taken out of context.

That statement from Cain was a blatant lie to God, implying that he had no idea what had happened to Abel and that something had happened to him while he was not looking. In fact, Cain knew exactly what had happened to Abel-- Cain had killed Abel. Note that God does not respond to whether or not Cain was his brother's keeper, only that Cain had indeed killed Abel and that God knew it. It was a deflection tactic.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:49:33 pm »
"My Brother's Keeper"?  Whom is that supposed to be?  In the biblical story, Cain was the older of the two; in general, in any pair of siblings it is generally the older who takes care of the younger.

Hence, this is merely a mask for Obama's desire to be everyone's Big Brother.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
The White House says the effort is necessary because “boys and young men of color, regardless of socio-economic background, are disproportionately at risk throughout the journey from their youngest years to college and career.”
Maybe the government should eliminate entitlement programs that essentially have created generations of fatherless boys because they discourage young men from taking responsibility for their offspring or marrying the mothers of their children.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:15:53 pm »
http://www.americanthinker.com/assets/3rd_party/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/02/obama_creates_cabinetlevel_agency_for_people_like_him.html

February 27, 2014
Obama Creates Cabinet-Level Agency for People Like Him

M. Catherine Evans
Today, the Obama administration is unveiling a progressive initiative called “My Brother’s Keeper” to help young black men and minorities train for and get jobs.

From Yahoo News today:
President Obama will announce a $200 million commitment from nine foundations Thursday afternoon to bolster the lives of young men and boys of color.

The president will create a new inter-agency “My Brother’s Keeper Task Force” headed up by Broderick Johnson [Obama For America senior adviser], the cabinet secretary and assistant to the president. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Attorney General Eric Holder, Labor Secretary Thomas Perez and other senior officials will be personally involved in “My Brother’s Keeper,” according to Jarrett.

Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York City who started and funded an initiative in the city aimed at young black men, will join the president for the 3:45 p.m. announcement of the program at the White House. [snip]

“I think he’s committed to being more aggressive,” said Rev. Al Sharpton, who was in the meeting.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »
The program, dubbed “My Brother’s Keeper,” will ask businesses and foundations to fund programs across the country designed to keep young minority men employed or in school and out of jail.

Laudable goals. I believe it can be accomplished. Simply by getting the federal government to stop distorting the market through the mettlesome, costly micromanaging of society.

Another slew of government programs. Oh, joy.

Edit: I didn't even know there was such a word as mettlesome, which means 'spirited'. The word I dictated to Siri should have been "meddlesome."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:41:36 pm by aligncare »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 04:09:23 pm »
Meanwhile, Obama's own brother leaves in a hut in Kenya.

Marxism promotes the expropriation of money earned by productive effort to purchase the political loyalty of those might otherwise have been lifted into independence by family, community and charity, but instead find themselves condemned to permanent dependency.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
Meanwhile, Obama's own brother leaves in a hut in Kenya.

Marxism promotes the expropriation of money earned by productive effort to purchase the political loyalty of those might otherwise have been lifted into independence by family, community and charity, but instead find themselves condemned to permanent dependency.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »
IF I had a brother, he wouldn't look just like.....

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »
IF I had a brother, he wouldn't look just like.....

If I had a brither, he wouldn't be eligible for the program. He'd be white.

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee