Author Topic: Liberal Prof.: Obama Has Brought Us To ‘Constitutional Tipping Point’  (Read 1649 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://freebeacon.com/liberal-prof-obama-has-brought-us-to-constitutional-tipping-point/?print=1

Liberal Prof.: Obama Has Brought Us To ‘Constitutional Tipping Point’
'It’s a dangerous point for our system to be in'

BY: Washington Free Beacon Staff
February 26, 2014 4:12 pm

During testimony before the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday, liberal constitutional professor Jonathan Turley said that the growth of executive power is “accelerating” and that the growth of such power has brought us to a “constitutional tipping point”.

“I believe we are now at a constitutional tipping point in our system,” Turley, who teaches law at George Washington University, said. “It’s a dangerous point for our system to be in, and I believe that your response has to begin before this president leaves office. No one in our system goes it alone.”

Turley noted that while he agrees with the President on most of his policies, it still “does not alter the fact that I believe the means he is doing is wrong” and that the continued acceleration of executive power can be “a dangerous change in our system.”

Turley flatly rejected the Obama administration’s reason for using more executive powers, which the President claims is a gridlocked Congress. “It is simply untrue that we’re living in very different or unprecedented times. The framers lived in these times,” Turley pointed out, noting that back then Congress used the Alien and Sedition Act to arrest opponents and Thomas Jefferson referred to his opponents as the “reign of witches.”

“This is not a different political time, and it shouldn’t be used as an excuse for extra-constitutional action,” Turley warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EYH3kxNmg
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Liberal Prof.: Obama Has Brought Us To ‘Constitutional Tipping Point’
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:51:08 pm »
Notice this left leaning expert witness never once mentioned Obama's skin color or the word conspiracy?

I recall watching one of the many hearings on Obama. In one of the last ones all of the democrats left the room. When the experts said the"I" word. a dem came running back to not listen but to immediately defend.

If anyone calls this partisan they are diverting the issue.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »
An honest liberal and, a patriot. There is hope for America.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:47 pm »
I'd put the warning to liberals even more bluntly:  what comes around goes around; the precedents you set today against conservatives/republicans will be used against you when the balance of power tips, as it always does sooner or later, and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »
Absolutely. I'm certain Jonathan Turley is thinking that exact thing. It might be a good idea for him to pull a few of his liberal buddies aside, especially those in the media, and tell them that exact thing.

Of course he won't say that out loud in these hearings. They don't want to give the game away, do they?

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:05:30 pm »
I'd put the warning to liberals even more bluntly:  what comes around goes around; the precedents you set today against conservatives/republicans will be used against you when the balance of power tips, as it always does sooner or later, and you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

I honestly don't think liberals believe that a Republican will ever win again.

- The continuing, and growing schism in the GOP is a great comfort to Democrats. How can a party elect someone when a substantial number of it's members will reject the nominee?

- The media has dropped any meager attempt at objectivity. Sure, on rare occasion a media outlet will claim objectivity, but it's with a wink and a nod. The media is full on leftist, and everyone knows it. After they got Obama re-elected, in spite of his first term performance, they have to feel they can't be beaten.

- The public is chronically, disturbingly unengaged.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

- The continuing, and growing schism in the GOP is a great comfort to Democrats. How can a party elect someone when a substantial number of it's members will reject the nominee?

- The media has dropped any meager attempt at objectivity. Sure, on rare occasion a media outlet will claim objectivity, but it's with a wink and a nod. The media is full on leftist, and everyone knows it. After they got Obama re-elected, in spite of his first term performance, they have to feel they can't be beaten.

I agree except for the part the public is unengaged. There are plenty engaged alright- I talk to them daily. But they are too busy getting nastygrams from the incompetent and partisan IRS, losing their healthcare/looking for jobs/getting slaughtering with their medicare and social security. There needs to be town halls all over America.

But then again... it always comes back to the Obama dem cheating machine and in this vein I think you are correct they think they will remain the powerful majority.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:17:46 pm by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »
Turley just said he was surprised the legislation and judicial branches are acccepting Obama's unconstitutional power without a fight. The Founding Fathers anticipated that each branch would secure their branches. That is not happening, and allows the government to become a danger.

From three to one branch in a few short years.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:42:18 pm by happyg »

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:36:37 pm »
I agree except for the part the public is unengaged. There are plenty engaged alright- I talk to them daily. But they are too busy getting nastygrams from the incompetent and partisan IRS, losing their healthcare/looking for jobs/getting slaughtering with their medicare and social security. There needs to be town halls all over America.

But then again... it always comes back to the Obama dem cheating machine and in this vein I think you are correct they think they will remain the powerful majority.

By unengaged, I mean not connecting the dots. Sure, people are facing great difficulties. But, for many, the media connects the dots for them. If the dot connecting reveals their problems are all the result of the Tea Party, then that's the answer!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 03:39:39 pm »
Turley just said he was surprised the legislation and judicial branches are accepting Obama's unconstitutional power without a fight. The Founding Fathers anticipated that each branch would secure their branches. That is not happening, and allows the government to become a danger.

From three to one branch in a few short years.

And on this subtopic it has been said the GOP are 'in on it'. They may be PC and acting like dem lites 2.0 but what do they do when Holder is in contempt, Obama claims executive privilege, Rice lies like a rug, and Lerner pleads the fifth? If the GOP are 'in on it' we are all screwed. Obama has refused special council. No amount of  letters signed by anyone will change Obama's mind. So the next logical step is holding expert hearings on Obama's over reach and abuse of power and then a trial Obama cannot refuse, it's called impeachment. This leaves politics and goes into- no one is above the rule of law.

(I corrected the spelling of accepting in my post)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:43:22 pm by happyg »

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »
And on this subtopic it has been said the GOP are 'in on it'. They may be PC and acting like dem lites 2.0 but what do they do when Holder is in contempt, Obama claims executive privilege, Rice lies like a rug, and Lerner pleads the fifth? If the GOP are 'in on it' we are all screwed. Obama has refused special council. No amount of  letters signed by anyone will change Obama's mind. So the next logical step is holding expert hearings on Obama's over reach and abuse of power and then a trial Obama cannot refuse, it's called impeachment. This leaves politics and goes into- no one is above the rule of law.

(I corrected the spelling of accepting in my post)

I'm inclined to agree with you. Why else would they allow the executive branch walk all over them? They are either cowards or dumber than heck, or both.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:34 pm »
 :silly: good thing we have edit for that but grammar and spelling should not be anyones concern. I know brilliant people that can't spell worth a hill a beans so the english teacher and spelling police need to go on vacation and stay there. lol

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »
:silly: good thing we have edit for that but grammar and spelling should not be anyones concern. I know brilliant people that can't spell worth a hill a beans so the english teacher and spelling police need to go on vacation and stay there. lol

I don't worry about others' lapses, but when I catch mine, I get po'd. I mean, who doesn't know the difference between accept and except, except me when I'm in a hurry!  :silly: I sometimes do the same with here, hear and their, there. Why? Old age? I'm certainly not a spelling cop, and agree with your about grammar Nazis!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »
I don't worry about others' lapses, but when I catch mine, I get po'd. I mean, who doesn't know the difference between accept and except, except me when I'm in a hurry!  :silly: I sometimes do the same with here, hear and their, there. Why? Old age? I'm certainly not a spelling cop, and agree with your about grammar Nazis!

I think after the age of fifty we make typing mistakes more. But yeah if I catch mine, you bet I edit and try to fix them. Thank God for the edit button.  :beer:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:01:47 pm »

Offline happyg

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 04:07:05 pm »

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 04:11:23 pm »

what liberals think ain't necessarily so, and things never stay the same; Reagan was a surprise in many ways precisely because his election demonstrated that yesterday's status quo can become today's history.

Offline Relic

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 04:23:31 pm »
what liberals think ain't necessarily so, and things never stay the same; Reagan was a surprise in many ways precisely because his election demonstrated that yesterday's status quo can become today's history.

You're right. I know it's dark now, but eventually, something unexpected will happen. Always does.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:52 pm »
I think this is the entire hearing. I keep getting interrupted from watching the entire thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sHpD5e5eYY

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »
You're right. I know it's dark now, but eventually, something unexpected will happen. Always does.

and the problem with the precedents the democrats are setting now is that they give so much discretionary power to the president that they will continue to have their own freedoms under a republican (or other non-democrat party) president only at the sufferance of that president and solely through his good graces, or lack of will to use their own precedents against them.  If even half their rhetoric during GWB's terms can be believed, then they ought to be scared sh&tless of that possibility.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »
and the problem with the precedents the democrats are setting now is that they give so much discretionary power to the president that they will continue to have their own freedoms under a republican (or other non-democrat party) president only at the sufferance of that president and solely through his good graces, or lack of will to use their own precedents against them.  If even half their rhetoric during GWB's terms can be believed, then they ought to be scared sh&tless of that possibility.

I think they have chosen Hillary and just need the crown. They will be screaming like banshees for impeachment if a non democrat resides in this current over reach. They can, they are the media and the media are them.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »
I think they have chosen Hillary and just need the crown. They will be screaming like banshees for impeachment if a non democrat resides in this current over reach. They can, they are the media and the media are them.

and they can still be shut down using their own tactics against them.  the filibuster is gone and won't necessarily be resurrected in a republican senate, e.g.  And they may scream all they want, but executive orders from a republican president that fit the mold of Obama's will nonetheless go through if that president has the will to do so.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »
and they can still be shut down using their own tactics against them.  the filibuster is gone and won't necessarily be resurrected in a republican senate, e.g.  And they may scream all they want, but executive orders from a republican president that fit the mold of Obama's will nonetheless go through if that president has the will to do so.

Pardon me-Off topic a bit, a random election thought....

Obama will act desperately even more so with each day that passes. Guess what he did yesterday? Big shocker I know, he gave a speech.

On the economy to boot. I caught it briefly but long enough to see the people he paid to clap for him. Remember before Obama won his second term he could not fill a stadium or even a sizable medium venue? Yet he won by cheating in swing states. No one dares speak of the people that saw buses driving people state to state to vote.

The GOP needs to be getting voter ID laws back in more states than NC.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:48:31 pm by Gazoo »