Author Topic: Yes, Atheism and Conservatism Are Compatible By Charles C. W. Cooke  (Read 566 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Yes, Atheism and Conservatism Are Compatible By Charles C. W. Cooke
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »
I know many, many Conservative atheists. Some of the best thinkers on our side like S.E. Cupp and George Will are atheists.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
I know many, many Conservative atheists. Some of the best thinkers on our side like S.E. Cupp and George Will are atheists.

So do I. Conservatives don't have a lock on morality, and I know atheist who are a helluva lot more moral than some so-called Jesus lovers. I believe Jesus is my Lord and Savior, but who I am I judge those that haven't met Him...yet! Or if they ever do.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:13:37 PM by Oceander »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
To set "the particular merits of the American Atheists group to one side" takes the entire quote out of context.

American Atheists is not just an ordinary group of atheists. They, like the Freedom from Religion Foundation, are militant atheists. They do hate Christianity and most other religions. Even though they don't believe God is real, they despise the very concept of God and willfully mock anyone who believes in Him.

There are a couple professed atheist on my local newspaper site that are proud of themselves, and knock any poster who refers to  religion. One the same site, there are atheist, who have nothing in common with these people because of their insults, and demeaning nature.

Merely good deeds might not get a person to Heaven, but it makes it a lot easier here on earth. I'll take an atheist over a false Christian, or a hardened Christian.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »
To set "the particular merits of the American Atheists group to one side" takes the entire quote out of context.

American Atheists is not just an ordinary group of atheists. They, like the Freedom from Religion Foundation, are militant atheists. They do hate Christianity and most other religions. Even though they don't believe God is real, they despise the very concept of God and willfully mock anyone who believes in Him.

I disagree.  As I read it, what the author is saying is to look beyond the political pecadilloes of any one particular group, and consider the broader concept of atheism itself; upon which consideration it should be clear that there is no necessary incompatibility between an atheist and a theist when it comes to politics, particularly under a secular constitutional republic such as the one we have.

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:41 PM »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82 (capitalization of the word god is retained per original; see Positive Atheism's Historical Section)

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:53:52 PM »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781-82 (capitalization of the word god is retained per original; see Positive Atheism's Historical Section)

:thumbsup:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »
I think the religious types get their panties in a knot more often than an atheist does not.  They are made for each other.  Intolerant boobs always come in a pair.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:06:36 AM by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
I would characterize myself as a Christian conservative, and I quite agree. Worshiping the God of the Bible is not a prerequisite to supporting the notions of small government, liberty, personal responsibility and the other values we consider conservative.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
I would characterize myself as a Christian conservative, and I quite agree. Worshiping the God of the Bible is not a prerequisite to supporting the notions of small government, liberty, personal responsibility and the other values we consider conservative.

:thumbsup:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

I'd give another thumbs up!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf