Author Topic: Lois Lerner's lawyer slams Issa, GOP  (Read 795 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Lois Lerner's lawyer slams Issa, GOP
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:02:55 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/199308-lois-lerners-lawyer-slams-issa-gop-for-recall

February 26, 2014, 11:58 am
Lois Lerner's lawyer slams Issa, GOP

By Bernie Becker

The attorney for Lois Lerner blasted the House GOP for recalling the former IRS official to testify next week, saying it would only serve to embarrass her and could increase threats against Lerner and her family.

Bill Taylor, Lerner’s attorney, told House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) that he told committee staff in January that Lerner would continue to invoke her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination if recalled, and that she would "happily testify" if given immunity.

Taylor, of Zuckerman Spaeder, said he heard nothing further from the committee until Issa wrote to him on Tuesday, saying he was hauling Lerner back before the Oversight Committee on March 5.

Lerner is perhaps the IRS official most associated with the agency's targeting controversy, having acknowledged and apologized last year for the extra scrutiny the IRS gave to Tea Party groups.

"I advised the staff that calling Ms. Lerner knowing that she will assert her rights was not only improper but dangerous," Taylor wrote to Issa in a letter dated Wednesday. "Ms. Lerner has been the subject of numerous threats on her life and safety, and on the life and safety of her family. I left with the staff recent evidence of those threats."

Taylor added that it was against D.C. protocol for lawyers to call a witness for the sole reason of having them take the Fifth. "It accomplishes nothing and needlessly embarrasses the witness," he said.

Plus, Taylor reiterated that he disagreed with the Oversight committee ruling that Lerner had waived her Fifth Amendment rights by making an opening statement at a May 2013, hearing.

Issa wrote to Taylor on Tuesday to recall Lerner next week, saying her testimony remained crucial to the investigation into the IRS targeting.

Lerner retired from the agency in September. Democrats have accused the GOP of overreaching and playing election-year politics in recalling her.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Lois Lerner's lawyer slams Issa, GOP
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:06:12 pm »
The attorney for Lois Lerner blasted the House GOP for recalling the former IRS official to testify next week, saying it would only serve to embarrass her and could increase threats against Lerner and her family.

Bill Taylor, Lerner’s attorney, told House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) that he told committee staff in January that Lerner would continue to invoke her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination if recalled, and that she would "happily testify" if given immunity.

How in the heck does Lerner think the people getting nastygram IRS letters and audits feel?

The sad thing is even if given immunity I still don't think she would tell the truth.

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »
Issa has proved to be immensely ineffective. He gives a few good soundbites, and then issues languish in political limbo for years, until he gets a new issue, for his initial tough soundbites.

Has he brought anything to completion?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:36:42 pm »
I wonder if Ms. Lerner's criminal conduct at the IRS - why demand immunity if she didn't do anything criminal? - could be prosecuted under some state law?  The Supreme Court caselaw preventing states from prosecuting federal officials while acting in their capacity as such might not protect Ms. Lerner since her conduct, if also criminal under federal law, could not have been carried out within her duties as a federal official.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:44:46 pm »
She wants immunity?  Hasn't she heard--there isn't a smidgen of corruption?  Wonder why she's worried.  :smokin:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »

Democrats have accused the GOP of overreaching and playing election-year politics in recalling her.

Gotta love how dims NEVER forget a talking point.  Hope none of the points work this time.

BTW ... Somebody needs to put Trey Gowdy in charge of this.  Like now!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:58:31 pm »
Issa has proved to be immensely ineffective. He gives a few good soundbites, and then issues languish in political limbo for years, until he gets a new issue, for his initial tough soundbites.

Has he brought anything to completion?

It isn't Issa's fault! These standing over-site committees are not capable of really getting to the bottom of anything because no member has the time to do any real in depth questioning of anyone! If they were really serious about getting to the bottom of it there would already be a select committee pursuing the matter.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:35 pm »
It isn't Issa's fault! These standing over-site committees are not capable of really getting to the bottom of anything because no member has the time to do any real in depth questioning of anyone! If they were really serious about getting to the bottom of it there would already be a select committee pursuing the matter.

Ha Issa signed the letters to Boehner asking for select committee?  I know 75% have, not sure if Issa is in the 75% or the other 25%…
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:47:42 pm »

Ha Issa signed the letters to Boehner asking for select committee?  I know 75% have, not sure if Issa is in the 75% or the other 25%…

He's likely in the other 25%. Still milking it for mre personal face time on camera!

The truth is that I don't think there are many in Washington who REALLY want to get to the bottom of this!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien