Author Topic: Why Republicans Need the Tea Party By David Horowitz  (Read 681 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Why Republicans Need the Tea Party By David Horowitz
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:54 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: Why Republicans Need the Tea Party By David Horowitz
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
Excellent read--bumping.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
A very thoughtful, and thought provoking, article; thank you for posting it.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Covers the subject thoroughly IMHO and I agree with him.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
Earlier this week I was called by the RNC for the purpose of interviewing me as to what I thought they should do to enhance the future prospects of the party.

It was a long interview and I won't bore you with the rest of it but you should know that we spent most of the time discussing my suggestion that they stop fighting the TEA Party and embrace them instead.

Hopefully I mad a dent in their thick skulls!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
Earlier this week I was called by the RNC for the purpose of interviewing me as to what I thought they should do to enhance the future prospects of the party.

It was a long interview and I won't bore you with the rest of it but you should know that we spent most of the time discussing my suggestion that they stop fighting the TEA Party and embrace them instead.

Hopefully I mad a dent in their thick skulls!

I did the same thing via a letter. I saw something yesterday about Boehner advertising people to go to the main speaker web site (or some web site/) and take a survey along the lines of everything and the tea party. Sadly the only people that will probably take the survey will be trolls from DU.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
Here is the survey

http://johnboehner.com/survey2013

I think they ask enough info about you to make it hard for trollers.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
61% Favor Smaller Government With Fewer Services and Lower Taxes

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Voters have a slightly more favorable view of the federal government this month, but they still want less of it. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 36% have a favorable opinion of the federal government. Most voters (59%) continue to view the federal government unfavorably. These findings include just six percent (6%) who have a Very Favorable impression of the federal government and 25% who view it Very Unfavorably. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on February 20-21, 2014 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/february_2014/61_favor_smaller_government_with_fewer_services_and_lower_taxes

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »
Here is the survey

http://johnboehner.com/survey2013

I think they ask enough info about you to make it hard for trollers.

Looked at it and decided to pass! 

The available answers to the questions were selected to ensure a particular outcome IMHO!

For instance, I am NOT in favor of reforming the current tax code. I'm in favor to throwing it onto the ash heap of history and replacing it with something much more in keeping with that which our founders intended. That option was not included in the possible answers.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:12:47 AM by Bigun »

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
[[ I don't think that sort of name-calling is going to do anything other than backfire.  "Wetbacks"?? ]]

If you don't fight back, and that means gettin' down and dirty, you won't win. At least not win enough of the dirty contests (even if it was the 'rats that defined the contests as "dirty" in the first place). One of the prime tactics of the left is "labeling", using or creating words to frame an argument which they then use against us. Isn't that right out of the Alinsky playbook?

The Republicans get clobbered, and will continue to get clobbered, because (above all) they are afraid that they won't be seen as "nice guys".

When you face demagogues on the level of an Obama or a Hillary, you'd better have a demagogue of your own, a Huey Long of the right. For a growing number of the population, reason doesn't seem to work much any more. You've got to grab 'em by the short-n-curlies.

If you want to win, that is.

You -do- want to win, don't you...?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:58:43 PM by Fishrrman »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
[[ I don't think that sort of name-calling is going to do anything other than backfire.  "Wetbacks"?? ]]

If you don't fight back, and that means gettin' down and dirty, you won't win. At least not win enough of the dirty contests (even if it was the 'rats that defined the contests as "dirty" in the first place). One of the prime tactics of the left is "labeling", using or creating words to frame an argument which they then use against us. Isn't that right out of the Alinsky playbook?

The Republicans get clobbered, and will continue to get clobbered, because (above all) they are afraid that they won't be seen as "nice guys".

When you face demagogues on the level of an Obama or a Hillary, you'd better have a demagogue of your own, a Huey Long of the right. For a growing number of the population, reason doesn't seem to work much any more. You've got to grab 'em by the short-n-curlies.

Which recent GOP President got "down and dirty" in his campaign?  Reagan?   Bush? 

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »

Flinging around terms like "wetbacks" is not going to win the GOP anything other than permanent minority status.

What about articulating in plain English what the GOP actually stands for?  That is what Reagan was so good at and that is in large part why Reagan won his two elections so handily.  And Reagan was one of the least offensive presidents we've had in a while, at least insofar as name-calling goes.

In other words, I don't really think the voters want another potty-mouth who is just going to tell them that the other guys are sh*ts, I think the voters want someone who can articulate what it really means to be an American, as the GOP sees it, what the positives are, and why GOP principles and philosophy are really those that make America, well, America.  And someone who gets off the negative stuff!  Again, to advert to Reagan, he didn't scream about stopping this, putting an end to that - some examples from today might be the lust for the blood of illegal immigrants in some quarters - he would have taken a more positive route, and would emphasize something along the lines of:

"I bear no personal hatred or ill-will to those who are here illegally, what motivates me is that core American principle of respect for the law, and that means not only that the law should be enforced, but that the law itself should conform to reality and to the basic, traditional, American principles of fairness and practicality.  Enforcing an unjust law is as much a violation of that principle as is failing to enforce a just law.  Simply put, trying to put our foot down and stamp out all illegal immigration, with more and more draconian punishment meted out to those who still come here illegally, doesn't work and, when enforced to the literal letter, causes much injustice of its own.  In a nutshell, current immigration laws are unjust, unworkable, and must be reformed.  The key principles that should inform that process are (1) allowing us to know who's coming here, and why, (2) allowing us to keep tabs on those who cause serious trouble so that we can remove them, and (3) fully respecting the rights of those who are entitled to be here and making sure that they aren't subjected to the indignities that come along with having that entitlement questioned."

That, in my own pitiful way, is a sketch of a positive approach to immigration reform, and is much more likely to win over voters than the "No Amnesty!" screeching that to-date has passed for immigration reform "debate" from the GOP side.

I realize full well that this approach will also lose some voters, voters to the right who absolutely insist on total and complete removal of all illegal aliens under current law as a predicate to any sort of reform that might legalize current illegal immigrants, or otherwise allow more foreigners to enter the US to work and live.  So be it, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Political, particularly electoral, calculus requires one to do a minimax computation to figure out how to maximize the number of votes you get while minimizing the number of compromises you must make.  Following that logic, an approach to immigration that looks something like what I've sketched out will satisfy that calculus and result in a net increase in the number of GOP votes.  Shouting "wetbacks" back at the democrats will not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:54:06 PM by Oceander »

Offline evadR²

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
Looked at it and decided to pass! 

The available answers to the questions were selected to ensure a particular outcome IMHO!

For instance, I am NOT in favor of reforming the current tax code. I'm in favor to throwing it onto the ash heap of history and replacing it with something much more in keeping with that which our founders intended. That option was not included in the possible answers.
Amen. There is no such thing as reform. That's a rat term for "forget all our screw ups and start all over".
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online aligncare

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf