Author Topic: NFL could pull Super Bowl if Arizona religious rights bill passes  (Read 250 times)

Offline happyg

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: NFL could pull Super Bowl if Arizona religious rights bill passes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
I believe I see the underlying motivation for this (silly) bill:  the desire to not have business owners who refuse to do business with gay/lesbian individuals forced into specific performance - i.e., forced to provide the withheld goods or services - but there surely must have been some better, more inclusive, way of achieving that goal and, in any event, should have waited to see if any Arizona court would go so far as to impose that sort of legal remedy on a business.  If Arizona courts refused to do so under existing Arizona law, then there would be no reason whatsoever to create such unnecessary grief now, and if an Arizona court does impose specific performance on a business at some later date, then that would be the appropriate time to craft a narrower, more sophisticated bill that addressed the specific issues in such a case; this sort of blanket, scatter-gun approach does nothing but harm to whatever legitimate concerns lie behind this bill.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf