Author Topic: Michelle Obama pushes ban on marketing junk food in schools  (Read 727 times)

Offline happyg

Michelle Obama pushes ban on marketing junk food in schools
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »
Brian Hughes

First lady Michelle Obama on Tuesday called for the federal government to end the marketing of junk foods in schools, a proposal that would eliminate vending machines advertising soda and other promotional material for items not deemed healthy.

“The idea here is simple — our classrooms should be healthy places where kids aren’t bombarded with ads for junk food,” the first lady said in an announcement. “Because when parents are working hard to teach their kids healthy habits at home, their work shouldn’t be undone by unhealthy messages at school.”

The so-called school wellness policy crafted with the Department of Agriculture would go into effect for the 2014-15 school year.

The latest push from the first lady’s office, however, is likely to stoke the GOP narrative that the Obama administration is meddling in decisions that should be left to families. Conservatives have accused the White House of implementing a “nanny state.”

The marketing push coincides with another administration effort to get unhealthy food out of schools. The new rules have yet to be finalized.

Some industry groups have already raised questions about whether the administration is moving too quickly on the marketing push.

The first lady’s latest announcement comes around the fourth anniversary of her “Let’s Move!” initiative.

“The new standards ensure that schools remain a safe place where kids can learn and where the school environment promotes healthy choices,” Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said, joining the first lady in outlining the new campaign.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/michelle-obama-pushes-ban-on-marketing-junk-food-in-schools/article/2544557

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Michelle Obama pushes ban on marketing junk food in schools
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »
I hope this ends up with a whole new generation of youth that hates totalitarianism by having this forced upon them in school.  Not a peep when you mess with the history books - but don't mess with their junk food!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:54 pm »
without even touching the subject of the federal leviathan's ability to regulate what schools sell, I find it unfortunate that soda and other junk food is sold in schools; that ought not be the case.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »
without even touching the subject of the federal leviathan's ability to regulate what schools sell, I find it unfortunate that soda and other junk food is sold in schools; that ought not be the case.

In that respect I agree with you Oceander.  When I was a kid, junk food in school was unheard of!  We had good healthy breakfast and lunch meals prepared on site by the wonderful cafeteria ladies.  But, once the cat is out of the bag, it's hard to put it back in.  Most of today's kids have been raised on junk and fast food.  My mother cooked or packed almost every meal we ate and soda pop was a weekend treat. 

Kids are already complaining about Michele's food - some saying it tastes like "vomit".  I can't think she would be very popular with them at this point.  Maybe that dislike of government interference will spread with them. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:22:24 pm »
In that respect I agree with you Oceander.  When I was a kid, junk food in school was unheard of!  We had good healthy breakfast and lunch meals prepared on site by the wonderful cafeteria ladies.  But, once the cat is out of the bag, it's hard to put it back in.  Most of today's kids have been raised on junk and fast food.  My mother cooked or packed almost every meal we ate and soda pop was a weekend treat. 

Kids are already complaining about Michele's food - some saying it tastes like "vomit".  I can't think she would be very popular with them at this point.  Maybe that dislike of government interference will spread with them. 

I wouldn't go nearly so far as to support the tripe Mrs. Obuttocks wants to force on kids; I say just go back to the good old tried and true, the stuff that was reasonably nutritious and reasonably palatable, and get rid of the real junk food.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »
Liberals sure like their 'bans'.