Author Topic: Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools  (Read 1252 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:38:18 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=C0520CD3-99F5-4217-A536-BCFBA668B821

Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools
By: Tarini Parti
February 24, 2014 11:58 PM EST

First lady Michelle Obama will unveil a proposal Tuesday that would ban marketing junk food and sodas in schools — an unusually aggressive position for the administration that could draw the ire of school districts, food companies and conservatives.

Schools would no longer be able to house vending machines that sport images of their flagship sodas, have posters promoting unhealthy food and drinks or use cups in cafeterias that market high-calorie beverages, among other forms of promotion, according to administration officials.

The proposal — part of an updated school wellness policy crafted by the Department of Agriculture — would require marketing of all food and drinks to fall in line with the same healthier standards that are expected to be required of foods sold during the 2014-15 school year. Both sets of measures, which go beyond the new school lunch and breakfast requirements, stem from the 2010 Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act.

The announcement comes as food companies reformulate their products to fit the new standards, and school districts prepare to implement another round of food-related regulations.

“You can’t market what you can’t sell,” said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest. The new rule “will make sure that schools can’t promote unhealthy meals in schools that undermine the new standards or nutrition education.”

“It’s going to be interesting to see how the industry responds to this. It’s going to be much harder for them to make the case against this because they already can’t sell those products.”

The updated standards for foods sold in schools, which have yet to be finalized, would require snack foods, including those in vending machines, to meet at least one of the following requirements: be a whole-grain-rich grain product; have as the main ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product or a protein food; be a combination of food that contains at least one-quarter of a cup of fruits or vegetables; or contain 10 percent of the Daily Value of nutrients like calcium, vitamin D or dietary fiber.

The foods also would have to meet calorie, fat, sodium and sugar limits.

For beverages, elementary and middle schools are mostly limited to water, unflavored and low-fat milk, or 100 percent fruit and vegetable juice. High school students will be able to buy a certain amount of low- or no-calorie beverages.

Rather than fighting the changes, the American Beverage Association is applauding the first lady for what it says are “common-sense efforts to strengthen school wellness policies, including support for aligning food and beverage signage in schools to reflect what is allowed under [USDA] regulations.”

“Mrs. Obama’s efforts to continue to strengthen school wellness make sense for the well-being of our schoolchildren,” said ABA President and CEO Susan Neely.

She noted that the beverage industry already has moved forward with voluntary guidelines that have “cut the beverage calories in schools nationwide by 90 percent, and set the stage for the USDA’s regulations that take effect in schools this July. Now, we look forward to working with the USDA on their proposed rule to align food and beverage signage in schools with the new regulations as the next logical next step.”

But the food industry will need more details before making final judgments, said Beth Johnson, principal for Food Directions, a food industry lobbying firm.

The new marketing restrictions add to all the regulations associated with school foods that the industry is already dealing with, which will play a role in how they view the proposal, Johnson said.

Although the industry has, overall, been supportive of creating a healthier environment in schools, there are a lot of details that will need to be worked out, she said. The biggest unknown is that the standards for foods that can be sold, which would also be the standards for the products that can be marketed, have not yet been finalized.

“Defining what marketing is has also been a big question,” Johnson said. “That will continue to be a subject of great debate.

“This is potentially the first time the government has set limits on marketing in schools. What kind of precedent does this set?”

Some school districts have already expressed concerns about a potential loss in revenue due to limits on the types of food they could sell a la carte and in vending machines.

Now the proposal on food marketing could refuel those concerns.

“I question the need for regulation here,” said Noelle Ellerson, associate executive director for policy and advocacy for The School Superintendents Association.

“It seems awfully redundant because food companies were already reformulating the products they would sell in schools. A school district should ultimately have the right to refusal if they don’t want a vending machine marketing some products.”

The first lady’s announcement Tuesday is part of the new initiatives the administration is unveiling to mark the fourth anniversary of Let’s Move!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:52:49 pm »
The updated standards for foods sold in schools, which have yet to be finalized, would require snack foods, including those in vending machines, to meet at least one of the following requirements: be a whole-grain-rich grain product; have as the main ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product or a protein food; be a combination of food that contains at least one-quarter of a cup of fruits or vegetables; or contain 10 percent of the Daily Value of nutrients like calcium, vitamin D or dietary fiber.

The foods also would have to meet calorie, fat, sodium and sugar limits.
I wonder which products would be in compliance. Nutrigrain bars?  :shrug:  Probably not.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:53:16 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:36 pm »
updated here
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/michelle-obama-food-marketing-schools-103899.html?hp=r11

Michelle Obama unveils food marketing limits for schools
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:13:34 pm »
Take all food out of schools.  If you want lunch, momma packs it or you don't eat.

Sell milk or kids can fill up a paper cup with water. 

These nazis are intent on shoving their ideology in the form of what we eat down our throats. 

Remove the opportunity.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:14 pm »
Take all food out of schools.  If you want lunch, momma packs it or you don't eat.

These nazis are intent on shoving their ideology in the form of what we eat down our throats. 

Remove the opportunity.

New York City just announced an additional 22,000 dinners will be served by the school system for the 'disadvantaged'.

....betcha they're not eating arugula.

Nope, that boat's sailed, sink!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:53 am »

Works for me, except momma's taken her food stamps and converted them for cash to buy heroin, so there's no peanut butter in the house and the little chilluns are starving. It doesn't occur to Big Gubmint to take the children out of that environment. The answer, apparently, is to give momma even more food stamps and shove jicama down the kiddies' throats at school, cuz Moochelle says so.

Online rustynail

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:20:01 am »
Under what authority does she promulgate these rules?

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:41:15 am »

I was wondering about that, too.  Can't the school districts just tell her to shut up and go away? 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:10:30 am »
I was wondering about that, too.  Can't the school districts just tell her to shut up and go away?

EXACTLY!!! Did we miss an election here? :pondering:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 02:14:20 am »

Do you think that 'Common Core' was debated and accepted at a parochial/district level....with no upward influence? 

This crap infiltrates the system somehow.....   :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:14:51 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:07 am »

Remove the opportunity.
I have no problem with that at all..

I was very traumatized in the first grade. (not a joke)  I was a very picky eater and usually left everything on my plate except the meat.   I could not drink milk as it made me regurgitate.

My first grade teacher "bless her heart!!"  Decided she would make me sit in the cafeteria until I finished the turnip greens and stewed tomatoes that were on my plate along with the whole box of milk!!!!

I sat for hours in tears with a monitor telling me I had to eat it all before I could go back to class or to the restroom.  I kept trying and  finally threw up all over the place. So they sent me home with a nasty note to my mother to teach me how to eat!!!

That was the last meal I had in School until Jr High.  I got sandwiches and chips and koolaid from mom everyday in my NEW Barbie Lunch Box!!!! :tongue2:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:31:06 am »

Question of the day.... and I'd love an to get an answer!!

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »
Question of the day.... and I'd love an to get an answer!!

If Fidel Castro's wife wanted to change the school lunch menu in Cuba don't you suppose it would "just happen?"  These kinds of things "just happen" where tyrants rule. :Obounce:

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »
I have no problem with that at all..

I was very traumatized in the first grade. (not a joke)  I was a very picky eater and usually left everything on my plate except the meat.   I could not drink milk as it made me regurgitate.

My first grade teacher "bless her heart!!"  Decided she would make me sit in the cafeteria until I finished the turnip greens and stewed tomatoes that were on my plate along with the whole box of milk!!!!

I sat for hours in tears with a monitor telling me I had to eat it all before I could go back to class or to the restroom.  I kept trying and  finally threw up all over the place. So they sent me home with a nasty note to my mother to teach me how to eat!!!

That was the last meal I had in School until Jr High.  I got sandwiches and chips and koolaid from mom everyday in my NEW Barbie Lunch Box!!!! :tongue2:

I hated to eat as a kid too--my father would perch me up on a stool and count my ribs to make sure I wasn't wasting away.   Your post brings back memories.  Our moms would make our lunch and pack our lunchboxes at 7am--sammie wrapped up in waxed paper, apple or banana, chips, drink in a thermos.  By the time we opened our lunchboxes 4 hours later, that lunchbox aroma would waft up.   They say scents can be the most vivid of memories.  I am recalling the scent of my childhood lunchboxes as I write this.  ^-^

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »
Remind me why anything this beeyotch is doing to school cafeterias is necessary, let alone permissible?
Obesity Rate for Young Children Plummets 43% in a Decade

Federal health authorities on Tuesday reported a 43 percent drop in the obesity rate among 2- to 5-year-old children over the past decade, the first broad decline in an epidemic that often leads to lifelong struggles with weight and higher risks for cancer, heart disease and stroke.

The drop emerged from a major federal health survey that experts say is the gold standard for evidence on what Americans weigh. The trend came as a welcome surprise to researchers. New evidence has shown that obesity takes hold young: Children who are overweight or obese at 3 to 5 years old are five times as likely to be overweight or obese as adults.

A smattering of states have reported modest progress in reducing childhood obesity in recent years, and last year the federal authorities noted a slight decline in the obesity rate among low-income children. But the figures on Tuesday showed a sharp fall in obesity rates among all 2- to 5-year-olds, offering the first clear evidence that America’s youngest children have turned a corner in the obesity epidemic. About 8 percent of 2- to 5-year-olds were obese in 2012, down from 14 percent in 2004. ...
Rest of story at NY Times

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »
They are dictating. They are forcing their ideals.

They tried to ban bake sales in schools

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/school-bake-sales-become-_n_1478571.html

They lost, I even recall Obama backtracking overall big time on this issue. Oh wait it must have been re-election time because he is dictating AGAIN!

ABC/AP seemed to take such great delight reporting this...

Obama administration announces new rules to limit marketing unhealthy food in schools | abc7chicago.com
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9444987

February 25, 2014 -- Even the scoreboards in high school gyms will have to advertise only healthy foods under new rules announced Tuesday by the Obama administration

Promotion of sugary drinks and junk foods around campuses during the school day will be phased out under the rules, intended to ensure that such marketing is brought in line with health standards that already apply to school foods.

That means a scoreboard at a high school football or basketball game eventually wouldn't be allowed to advertise Coca-Cola, for example, but it could advertise Diet Coke or Dasani water, which is also owned by Coca-Cola Co. Same with the front of a vending machine. Cups, posters and menu boards which promote foods that don't meet the standards would also be phased out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:30:53 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?