Author Topic: Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools  (Read 822 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »

Support the USO

Online mountaineer

Re: Michelle Obama to unveil food marketing limits for schools
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
The updated standards for foods sold in schools, which have yet to be finalized, would require snack foods, including those in vending machines, to meet at least one of the following requirements: be a whole-grain-rich grain product; have as the main ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product or a protein food; be a combination of food that contains at least one-quarter of a cup of fruits or vegetables; or contain 10 percent of the Daily Value of nutrients like calcium, vitamin D or dietary fiber.

The foods also would have to meet calorie, fat, sodium and sugar limits.
I wonder which products would be in compliance. Nutrigrain bars?  :shrug:  Probably not.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:53:16 AM by mountaineer »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
updated here
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/michelle-obama-food-marketing-schools-103899.html?hp=r11

Michelle Obama unveils food marketing limits for schools

Support the USO

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
Take all food out of schools.  If you want lunch, momma packs it or you don't eat.

Sell milk or kids can fill up a paper cup with water. 

These nazis are intent on shoving their ideology in the form of what we eat down our throats. 

Remove the opportunity.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Take all food out of schools.  If you want lunch, momma packs it or you don't eat.

These nazis are intent on shoving their ideology in the form of what we eat down our throats. 

Remove the opportunity.

New York City just announced an additional 22,000 dinners will be served by the school system for the 'disadvantaged'.

....betcha they're not eating arugula.

Nope, that boat's sailed, sink!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »

Works for me, except momma's taken her food stamps and converted them for cash to buy heroin, so there's no peanut butter in the house and the little chilluns are starving. It doesn't occur to Big Gubmint to take the children out of that environment. The answer, apparently, is to give momma even more food stamps and shove jicama down the kiddies' throats at school, cuz Moochelle says so.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Under what authority does she promulgate these rules?

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »

I was wondering about that, too.  Can't the school districts just tell her to shut up and go away? 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »
I was wondering about that, too.  Can't the school districts just tell her to shut up and go away?

EXACTLY!!! Did we miss an election here? :pondering:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »

Do you think that 'Common Core' was debated and accepted at a parochial/district level....with no upward influence? 

This crap infiltrates the system somehow.....   :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:14:51 PM by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »

Remove the opportunity.
I have no problem with that at all..

I was very traumatized in the first grade. (not a joke)  I was a very picky eater and usually left everything on my plate except the meat.   I could not drink milk as it made me regurgitate.

My first grade teacher "bless her heart!!"  Decided she would make me sit in the cafeteria until I finished the turnip greens and stewed tomatoes that were on my plate along with the whole box of milk!!!!

I sat for hours in tears with a monitor telling me I had to eat it all before I could go back to class or to the restroom.  I kept trying and  finally threw up all over the place. So they sent me home with a nasty note to my mother to teach me how to eat!!!

That was the last meal I had in School until Jr High.  I got sandwiches and chips and koolaid from mom everyday in my NEW Barbie Lunch Box!!!! :tongue2:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Right_in_Virginia

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »

Question of the day.... and I'd love an to get an answer!!
"January 20th 2017 will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again."  --  President Donald J. Trump

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
Question of the day.... and I'd love an to get an answer!!

If Fidel Castro's wife wanted to change the school lunch menu in Cuba don't you suppose it would "just happen?"  These kinds of things "just happen" where tyrants rule. :Obounce:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:39 AM »
I have no problem with that at all..

I was very traumatized in the first grade. (not a joke)  I was a very picky eater and usually left everything on my plate except the meat.   I could not drink milk as it made me regurgitate.

My first grade teacher "bless her heart!!"  Decided she would make me sit in the cafeteria until I finished the turnip greens and stewed tomatoes that were on my plate along with the whole box of milk!!!!

I sat for hours in tears with a monitor telling me I had to eat it all before I could go back to class or to the restroom.  I kept trying and  finally threw up all over the place. So they sent me home with a nasty note to my mother to teach me how to eat!!!

That was the last meal I had in School until Jr High.  I got sandwiches and chips and koolaid from mom everyday in my NEW Barbie Lunch Box!!!! :tongue2:

I hated to eat as a kid too--my father would perch me up on a stool and count my ribs to make sure I wasn't wasting away.   Your post brings back memories.  Our moms would make our lunch and pack our lunchboxes at 7am--sammie wrapped up in waxed paper, apple or banana, chips, drink in a thermos.  By the time we opened our lunchboxes 4 hours later, that lunchbox aroma would waft up.   They say scents can be the most vivid of memories.  I am recalling the scent of my childhood lunchboxes as I write this.  ^-^

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »
They are dictating. They are forcing their ideals.

They tried to ban bake sales in schools

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/school-bake-sales-become-_n_1478571.html

They lost, I even recall Obama backtracking overall big time on this issue. Oh wait it must have been re-election time because he is dictating AGAIN!

ABC/AP seemed to take such great delight reporting this...

Obama administration announces new rules to limit marketing unhealthy food in schools | abc7chicago.com
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=9444987

February 25, 2014 -- Even the scoreboards in high school gyms will have to advertise only healthy foods under new rules announced Tuesday by the Obama administration

Promotion of sugary drinks and junk foods around campuses during the school day will be phased out under the rules, intended to ensure that such marketing is brought in line with health standards that already apply to school foods.

That means a scoreboard at a high school football or basketball game eventually wouldn't be allowed to advertise Coca-Cola, for example, but it could advertise Diet Coke or Dasani water, which is also owned by Coca-Cola Co. Same with the front of a vending machine. Cups, posters and menu boards which promote foods that don't meet the standards would also be phased out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:30:53 AM by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf