Author Topic: Harvard writer: free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed  (Read 3712 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Harvard writer: free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:54:56 am »
There simply is no demand for majors like history, philosophy and mathematics any more.

And that itself is a SAD state of affairs if you ask me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:55 am »
Most traditional liberal arts colleges HAVE turned into politically liberal institutions that teach arts.  The rest of them kept the ivy covered buildings and converted to professional and technical subjects.  There simply is no demand for majors like history, philosophy and mathematics any more.

I get that.

The point is that I think that they believe that there's an invisible coma between the words "liberal" and "arts" in  "liberal arts college'. That's the only way that sentence I highlighted makes any sense.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:20 am »
I get that.

The point is that I think that they believe that there's an invisible coma between the words "liberal" and "arts" in  "liberal arts college'. That's the only way that sentence I highlighted makes any sense.

Or maybe a bunch of liberal guys named art went to college....

Offline happyg

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 01:03:47 am »
Or maybe a bunch of liberal guys named art went to college....

I thought it was colleges that taught the art of being a liberal.  :whistle:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:10 am »
[[ “If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals?” asked Korn in her column. ]]

"Heterosexism" ???

What planet is that from ??

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 01:42:10 am »
That ugly bastard needs a haircut.

And just WTF is a "sexuality concentrator" ??

That is all.

:smokin:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 01:51:50 am »
My youngest daughter will graduate May with a mathematics degree from SUNY, Potsdam in upstate New York. Darn proud of that young lady – she made it this far without a getting a tattoo.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 02:13:53 am »
My youngest daughter will graduate May with a mathematics degree from SUNY, Potsdam in upstate New York. Darn proud of that young lady – she made it this far without a getting a tattoo.
And a much better school than Harvard, I'm sure, when it comes to learning something actually useful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14:47 am »
Sandra Y. L. Korn '14, a Crimson editorial writer, is a joint history of science and studies of women, gender, and sexuality concentrator in Eliot House

Her parents are Elizabeth A. Korn, a pediatric endocrinologist, and William D. Korn, whose own Harvard degrees are in economics and business administration.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/bruce-bawer/harvards-rebel-without-a-clue/
 She did do an internship at The Nation, so could be a relative of David Korn. Both are equally stupid.

I don't think she will get married..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 04:15:04 am »
Andy....I'm convinced these 'outrageous' statements and/or actions taken by the government and their followers are a deliberately timed probe...akin to testing the vulnerability of their target.

This comes on the very heels of the FCC monitoring newsrooms...which they've put aside for the moment....at least publicly.

If we step back just a little, we can see there is a full blown Nazi-like takeover going on right now.  And they're well beyond 2nd gear....

What do they have to fear?  The mainstream media fully supports them already.  With 2014 coming, they're redlining....while grinning insanely.

I agree that there is both deliberation and concert inherent in many of the Left's provocations these days.

Which is to say that I believe they are intentionally pushing and prodding those they consider their enemies (i.e. - non-Progressives) to respond - violently, they hope - so that the State may come down upon such apostates with all of the delicious force that Leftists now openly crave.

And yet, spoiled little rich twits like this girl have long envisioned themselves as the Vanguard of the Revolution. I remember them well from the 60s and 70s - children of privilege cavorting with Black Panthers; romanticizing thuggery because reason demands self-evaluation, when Utopia simply will not wait. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 04:19:01 am »
I think I've located Sandy's long-lost twin brother.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 04:21:12 am »

Bravo!!!  If I'd had any smarts when I did the college undergrad thing, I would have gone for mathematics instead of the path of shame I chose.

If she were to get a tattoo, though, which famous equation would it be?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:21:36 am by Oceander »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 04:22:48 am »
I think I've located Sandy's long-lost twin brother.

She certainly sounds like a "Marx" Brother. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline happyg

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:36 am »

Good for your daughter! She is way up north! My son lives in Amsterdam, NY.

rangerrebew

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
Most traditional liberal arts colleges HAVE turned into politically liberal institutions that teach arts.  The rest of them kept the ivy covered buildings and converted to professional and technical subjects.  There simply is no demand for majors like history, philosophy and mathematics any more.

Haven't they also added abortion clinics?

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 02:10:01 pm »

Nice job, AC.   :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »
Bravo!!!  If I'd had any smarts when I did the college undergrad thing, I would have gone for mathematics instead of the path of shame I chose.

If she were to get a tattoo, though, which famous equation would it be?

I totally get what you're saying, O. When I first got into Chiropractic you could actually make money at it.

But my income's been a steady decline since 1985. And now with Obamacare I really wish I had stuck with my original career choice: to be the drummer in a power trio, like Ginger Baker.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 02:22:42 pm »

Congratulations to you both!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien