Author Topic: Disney World hikes admission prices to $99 a day  (Read 1047 times)

Offline mountaineer

Disney World hikes admission prices to $99 a day
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:57 pm »
I suppose Obama will start handing out Disneyworld tickets as part of the "entitlement" package of benefits. I'm glad I have no desire to visit!
Disney's Magic Kingdom has hiked prices for the second time in eight months, bringing the cost of single-day admission to the Orlando theme park to $99 for adults and children ages 10 and older.

Last June, daily admission rose $6 to $95, in what has become an annual rite at the major Orlando parks.

Disney also announced hikes for its other Walt Disney World parks, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, where admission is up $4 to $94 for single-day admissions.

When one central Florida theme park hikes entry fees, the others typically follow suit. Last year, Universal Orlando Resort became the first Orlando theme park to break the $90 threshold for a single-day, single-park ticket when it raised its prices to $92. Two weeks later, Disney announced a price jump from $89 to $95.

Industry observer Robert Niles of ThemeParkInsider.com isn't surprised by the increase, though its timing is a bit unusual.

"It almost seems as if Disney is daring Universal to go over the $100 barrier," he says. "We thought there'd be (an increase) this year, but more likely after Universal's price hike."

Universal will open another Harry Potter attraction, Diagon Alley, this summer in its Universal Studios Florida park. It joins the Wizarding World of Harry Potter -- Hogsmeade, which opened in 2010 in its sister park, Islands of Adventure.

"That should increase demand for multi-park tickets, and whenever there's an increase in demand, there's an increase in price," Niles says.
USA Today
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

Re: Disney World hikes admission prices to $99 a day
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:18:25 pm »
This is RACIST!!  How can the poor afford to go there?  Where are Jesse and Al?  Maybe Obama will order money from the treasury to make up for this injustice. :03:

Offline Millee

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »
$100 to stand in line all day.  I'll pass, thanks.   ^-^

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:15:36 am »
Apparently, the Disney response is to shrug their corporate shoulders (figuratively speaking) and say it's no big deal because most people buy multi-day tickets anyway, so it's not like they're really paying $99 for each day.   :shrug: 

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:42 am »
If the market will bear the price, then it's the correct decision.  In addition to the direct monetary benefits, there is probably another incentive for Disney to try getting as many people as possible to sign up for the multi-day packages and off the one-day tickets which, I am going to guess, are more often purchased on the day it's to be used:  better management of their staffing, inventory, and resource needs.  If most of their visitors are coming in on multi-day passes, which are generally purchased in advance (I'm pretty sure), then they have a much better idea of the levels of staffing and supplies they'll need for each day during the upcoming season, which allows them to more efficiently plan the purchase of, and logistics for, those supplies at one go before the season starts.  Being able to closely predict what they'll need six months in advance for the entire season would allow them to take advantage of the efficiencies of scale by purchasing in bulk for delivery as needed, which is generally cheaper on a per-unit basis than buying day-to-day (or week to week) as needs change.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:28:29 am »
Apparently, the Disney response is to shrug their corporate shoulders (figuratively speaking) and say it's no big deal because most people buy multi-day tickets anyway, so it's not like they're really paying $99 for each day.   :shrug:

Typically that is how people from out of state enter the park through 2 or 3 day admissions that are included with a  flight and hotel package.  I just booked a Disneyland vacation  in that way, with hotel & flight and a 3-day park hopper. I know what the total price I paid is but could not tell you out of it what was park entrance.
The good thing about $99 a day is it does reduce the local riff raff, gang bangers and creeps that have been known to enter the park, particularly in Anaheim.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline evadR

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:39 am »
separarting the riff raff
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
If the market will bear the price, then it's the correct decision.  In addition to the direct monetary benefits, there is probably another incentive for Disney to try getting as many people as possible to sign up for the multi-day packages and off the one-day tickets which, I am going to guess, are more often purchased on the day it's to be used:  better management of their staffing, inventory, and resource needs.  If most of their visitors are coming in on multi-day passes, which are generally purchased in advance (I'm pretty sure), then they have a much better idea of the levels of staffing and supplies they'll need for each day during the upcoming season, which allows them to more efficiently plan the purchase of, and logistics for, those supplies at one go before the season starts.  Being able to closely predict what they'll need six months in advance for the entire season would allow them to take advantage of the efficiencies of scale by purchasing in bulk for delivery as needed, which is generally cheaper on a per-unit basis than buying day-to-day (or week to week) as needs change.

Yes. Improving efficiency should help them reduce costs. Which in turn should help lower the cost of admission so that they can attract more visitors – who will then drive right past the $99-a-day ticket price and visit the boardwalk, instead.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:51 am »
Good point about keeping out riff-raff. I agree, O, they wouldn't raise the price if they didn't think the market would bear it. I'm still waiting for some Dem to say it's a fundamental right, though, and the government needs to step in.  :laugh:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 02:13:39 pm »
Went to the original Disneyland in Anaheim in '72 when they sold alphabet tickets. Now, that was a capitalist marketing plan! If you paid more you got more. If memory serves, the "E" ticket was the Cadillac of tickets with admission to all the best attractions.

Today's pricing structure follows the general trend towards egalitarianism in certain areas of consumer activity such as cellular and Internet plans, where low-volume users subsidize high-volume users.

Not every visitor to Disneyland takes a spin on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:11 pm »
Went to the original Disneyland in Anaheim in '72 when they sold alphabet tickets.
We lived in S. Cal. from 1962-65 and visited Disneyland at least ten times during that period. The whole family visited, that is, so it must have been pretty darn cheap, as we weren't even close to being wealthy.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:10 pm »
Went to the original Disneyland in Anaheim in '72 when they sold alphabet tickets. Now, that was a capitalist marketing plan! If you paid more you got more. If memory serves, the "E" ticket was the Cadillac of tickets with admission to all the best attractions.

Today's pricing structure follows the general trend towards egalitarianism in certain areas of consumer activity such as cellular and Internet plans, where low-volume users subsidize high-volume users.

Not every visitor to Disneyland takes a spin on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Yep.....the E ticket was the best. I remember those little books of tickets. Used to always have the lousy ride tickets left over. Haunted House, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Matterhorn all E tickets I think. Used to go to Disneyland in Anaheim. Been to Disneyland in Orlando way back in the day too. 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »
Went to Boot Camp with a guy who was one of the character actors who wore the Mickey Mouse costume at Disneyland in Anaheim.   He use to get us laughing after the barracks lights went out  imitating Mickey Mouse with a perfect Mickey Mouse voice.   Poor guy had a bed wetting problem though and was forced out of the Navy. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »
Speaking of $99 keeping out the undesirables, there was a story I read during our last visit in 2004 about an old woman who attended the Anaheim park every night and would each night be the last person in line for Peter Pans Flight. She, obviously being a few cans short of a six pack had a fascination with the story and the ride. One theory was she believed she was Wendy incarnated.    Wonder if she still does it. 

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »
Looking at all the comments make me think Disney may have gotten the idea from Obamacare;  one size fits all.  Maybe the price includes "free abortions," even for nuns.