Author Topic: Rep. John Dingell calls it quits  (Read 1250 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rep. John Dingell calls it quits
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:38:06 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/199023-report-rep-john-dingell-to-retire

February 24, 2014, 09:19 am
Rep. John Dingell calls it quits

By Cameron Joseph

Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.), the longest-serving House member in history, will retire at the end of his term, he told the Detriot News in an interview.

"I'm not going to be carried out feet first," Dingell told the paper. "I don't want people to say I stayed too long."

Dingell, 88, has been in Congress since 1955 and is the longest-serving member in congressional history.

The former chairman of the powerful House Energy & Commerce committee cited both health concerns and a frustration with Congress in his decision to retire.

"My doctor says I'm OK. And I'm still as smart and capable as anyone on the Hill. … But I'm not certain I would have been able to serve out the two-year term," he said.

"I find serving in the House to be obnoxious," he continued. "It's become very hard because of the acrimony and bitterness, both in Congress and in the streets."

The longtime congressman, known for his forceful personality, has for decades been a fierce ally of Michigan's auto industry. He has often worked across the aisle with Republicans on legislation, creating friction with liberal House Democrats on environmental issues.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) supported another House member, the more liberal Rep. Lynn Rivers (D), when Rivers and Dingell were forced into a primary against one another more than a decade ago.

Although Dingell won that race, he was forced out of the top position on the House Energy & Commerce Committee by Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) a few years later. He served as chairman of the committee from 1981-1995 and again from 2007-2009.

DIngell played a key role in helping to create Medicare in the 1960s. In 1990, after a decade of disagreement, he and Waxman compromised to craft an update to the Clean Air Act. He also played a role in helping convince more conservative Democrats to support the Affordable Care Act in 2009 and 2010.

When Waxman announced his decision to retire earlier this year, Dingell considered another push to be the Energy and Commerce committee's ranking member. But he faced a challenge in convincing Democratic members that he and not a younger, more liberal member should hold the slot.

Dingell became the longest-serving member in Congressional history in June 2013, passing former Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) for the title.

He is just one of two World War II veterans still serving in Congress, alongside Rep. Ralph Hall (R-Texas), Congress's oldest member. Dingell's father also served in the House, holding the seat from 1933-1955. The younger Dingell has been in Congress for more than a quarter of the time the House has existed.

It is widely expected that Dingell's wife, Democratic National Committee member and former General Motors executive Debbie Dingell, will run for his seat. Debbie Dingell mulled a run for Michigan's open Senate seat earlier this year before deciding not to run. Dingell's congressional seat is safely Democratic.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Millee

Re: Rep. John Dingell calls it quits
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:53 pm »
"I'm not going to be carried out feet first," Dingell told the paper. "I don't want people to say I stayed too long."

Dingell, 88, has been in Congress since 1955 and is the longest-serving member in congressional history.

Uhm dude....you stayed too long.   :nono:

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:00:22 pm »

Too late:  you stayed way too long.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:04 pm »
General Motors executive Debbie Dingell, will run for his seat
I wonder when and how she got that gig?

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
"I find serving in the House to be obnoxious," he continued. "It's become very hard because of the acrimony and bitterness, both in Congress and in the streets."
Interesting, the ones who are leaving are saying the same thing. I wonder what is really going on?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »

Uhm dude....you stayed too long.   :nono:
And he inherited the seat from his father, who had served since 1932-- when that district was created (back when Michigan was still growing). Basically, that district has never been represented by someone not named John Dingell.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Interesting, the ones who are leaving are saying the same thing. I wonder what is really going on?
They're saying what the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is telling them to say. It's an attack point.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »
Is this guys name REALLY John Dingell? John D. Berry. John Dingell Berry.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »
His family has played no small part in the downfall of Detroit, which he "represents." :thud:

Offline raml

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »
He was and is a crook and I imagine any family member who runs will also be crooked just like him. He helped to ruin Detroit. Blacks hurt blacks a lot more than white people do and he is one who proves that statement.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:37:12 am »
Can a Republican candidate be competitive in Dingell's district?

Or is it a democratic "shoe-in" seat?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:59:42 am »
I doubt his retirement has anything to do with the RATS losing control of the House AND Senate....as Rush opined today.

He's 87 freaking years old!!

His wife is probably going to run for his seat.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »
Can a Republican candidate be competitive in Dingell's district?

Or is it a democratic "shoe-in" seat?

Does the name Kwami Kilpatrick ring a bell?  He would be elected Mayor of Detroit in a landslide tomorrow if he could run.  Kwami, Dingell; what's the difference?