Author Topic: Rep. John Dingell calls it quits  (Read 671 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Rep. John Dingell calls it quits
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Millee

Re: Rep. John Dingell calls it quits
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
"I'm not going to be carried out feet first," Dingell told the paper. "I don't want people to say I stayed too long."

Dingell, 88, has been in Congress since 1955 and is the longest-serving member in congressional history.

Uhm dude....you stayed too long.   :nono:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
"I'm not going to be carried out feet first," Dingell told the paper. "I don't want people to say I stayed too long."

Too late:  you stayed way too long.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
General Motors executive Debbie Dingell, will run for his seat
I wonder when and how she got that gig?

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
"I find serving in the House to be obnoxious," he continued. "It's become very hard because of the acrimony and bitterness, both in Congress and in the streets."
Interesting, the ones who are leaving are saying the same thing. I wonder what is really going on?

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:41:20 PM »

Dingell, 88, has been in Congress since 1955 and is the longest-serving member in congressional history.

Uhm dude....you stayed too long.   :nono:
And he inherited the seat from his father, who had served since 1932-- when that district was created (back when Michigan was still growing). Basically, that district has never been represented by someone not named John Dingell.

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
Interesting, the ones who are leaving are saying the same thing. I wonder what is really going on?
They're saying what the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is telling them to say. It's an attack point.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Is this guys name REALLY John Dingell? John D. Berry. John Dingell Berry.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
His family has played no small part in the downfall of Detroit, which he "represents." :thud:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline raml

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
He was and is a crook and I imagine any family member who runs will also be crooked just like him. He helped to ruin Detroit. Blacks hurt blacks a lot more than white people do and he is one who proves that statement.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
Can a Republican candidate be competitive in Dingell's district?

Or is it a democratic "shoe-in" seat?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »
I doubt his retirement has anything to do with the RATS losing control of the House AND Senate....as Rush opined today.

He's 87 freaking years old!!

His wife is probably going to run for his seat.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »
Can a Republican candidate be competitive in Dingell's district?

Or is it a democratic "shoe-in" seat?

Does the name Kwami Kilpatrick ring a bell?  He would be elected Mayor of Detroit in a landslide tomorrow if he could run.  Kwami, Dingell; what's the difference?
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf