Author Topic: Harvard writer: free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed  (Read 3709 times)

rangerrebew

Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed

Posted By Robby Soave On 10:28 PM 02/23/2014 In | No Comments

If this Harvard University student got her way, free speech on campus would be abolished and professors with dissenting views fired, because radical leftism is the only permissible political philosophy and the First Amendment is a barrier preventing modern colleges from fulfilling their proper role as indoctrination camps.

Her name is Sandra Korn. She is a senior at Harvard and columnist for the Harvard Crimson.

In a recent column, Korn unambiguously insisted that the university should stop guaranteeing professors and students the right to hold controversial views and pursue research that challenges liberalism.

“If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals?” asked Korn in her column.

The column’s subtitle was even more direct: “Let’s give up on academic freedom in favor of justice.”

Korn cited several instances of perspectives that clashed with her own being banned from campus as triumphant examples of the way Harvard should be run. The firing of Subramanian Swamy, a Harvard summer school instructor who was dismissed for his anti-Islamic views, was one such triumph.

She also invoked the academic boycott of Israel — something condemned by Harvard President Drew Faust and numerous other university presidents — as an example of the kind of tactics leftists should defend and use in order to get their way on campus.

Korn did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Her sharp rejection of intellectual freedom — a value enshrined by U.S. law and central to the success of American institutions of higher learning — is common among left-wing activists at elite colleges. Last week, Erin Ching, a sophomore at Swarthmore College, took a similar view when she criticized her university for committing the unforgivable crime of allowing a conservative — Christian thinker Robert George — to speak on campus.

“What really bothered me is, the whole idea is that at a liberal arts college, we need to be hearing a diversity of opinion,” she said, according to the Daily Gazette. “I don’t think we should be tolerating [George’s] conservative views because that dominant culture embeds these deep inequalities in our society.”

George, a Swarthmore alumnus, came to campus to debate Cornell West.

Pro-life students at the University of Alabama were victims of a similar belief that conservative views should not be publicly espoused on campus. (RELATED: U. of Alabama censors pro-life students for ‘offensive’ poster)

And at McGill University in Montreal, Canada, merely emailing an inoffensive .gif of President Barack Obama kicking a door triggers an investigation. The perpetrator was forced to apologize for committing a racial insensitivity. (RELATED: Student forced to apologize for emailing pic of Obama kicking a door, because RACISM)

Follow Robby on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/23/harvard-writer-free-speech-threatens-liberalism-and-must-be-destroyed/

Online andy58-in-nh

Re: Harvard writer: free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Yes, I know. She's an silly little elitist snot whose mind is impervious to any discomfiting thoughts, such as might make her question her sense of moral superiority.

But as we've seen, such people sometimes grow up to be President.

In any event, it's almost a relief to now see the heart of Progressivism beginning to give voice to its inner Stalin. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:00 pm »
Ms. Korn will have no one to blame for herself if her mythical conservative bogeyman ever materializes and chucks her into the gulag she so fetishizes, because she so desperately wants to create precisely that set of political conditions that will make it possible for that mythical bogeyman to do so.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:25:58 pm by Oceander »

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »
She's must be a Hillary wannabe. Now, she needs to find her "Slick Willie".

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »

With any kind of luck she will marry a radical imam. :bash:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »
Yes, I know. She's an silly little elitist snot whose mind is impervious to any discomfiting thoughts, such as might make her question her sense of moral superiority.

But as we've seen, such people sometimes grow up to be President.

In any event, it's almost a relief to now see the heart of Progressivism beginning to give voice to its inner Stalin.

Andy....I'm convinced these 'outrageous' statements and/or actions taken by the government and their followers are a deliberately timed probe...akin to testing the vulnerability of their target.

This comes on the very heels of the FCC monitoring newsrooms...which they've put aside for the moment....at least publicly.

If we step back just a little, we can see there is a full blown Nazi-like takeover going on right now.  And they're well beyond 2nd gear....

What do they have to fear?  The mainstream media fully supports them already.  With 2014 coming, they're redlining....while grinning insanely.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:28:22 pm »
Andy....I'm convinced these 'outrageous' statements and/or actions taken by the government and their followers are a deliberately timed probe...akin to testing the vulnerability of their target.

This comes on the very heels of the FCC monitoring newsrooms...which they've put aside for the moment....at least publicly.

If we step back just a little, we can see there is a full blown Nazi-like takeover going on right now.  And they're well beyond 2nd gear....

What do they have to fear?  The mainstream media fully supports them already.  With 2014 coming, they're redlining....while grinning insanely.

:amen: This is plain as day, but the MSM is blind. They see fog on a clear day.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »

I wonder if she's David Korn's daughter?   :pondering:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:51:20 pm »
This is what is being taught at Harvard these days!

Wake up people!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »

I wonder if she's David Korn's daughter?   :pondering:

Sandra Y. L. Korn '14, a Crimson editorial writer, is a joint history of science and studies of women, gender, and sexuality concentrator in Eliot House

Her parents are Elizabeth A. Korn, a pediatric endocrinologist, and William D. Korn, whose own Harvard degrees are in economics and business administration.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/bruce-bawer/harvards-rebel-without-a-clue/
 She did do an internship at The Nation, so could be a relative of David Korn. Both are equally stupid.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
Sandra Y. L. Korn '14, a Crimson editorial writer, is a joint history of science and studies of women, gender, and sexuality concentrator in Eliot House

And what in the HELL is that pray tell???

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
And what in the HELL is that pray tell???

Who knows?  :shrug: To liberals, education is what they say it, not what it actually is. From what I read about her, she is most likely a lesbian. I don't know for sure but...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 06:41:45 pm »
Who knows?  :shrug: To liberals, education is what they say it, not what it actually is. From what I read about her, she is most likely a lesbian. I don't know for sure but...

Never heard of a "Concentrator" until today and I spent a good number of years working in the halls of academia.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:42:14 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »
Maybe she/he is a crossdresser.  A concentrator is a person who philosophizes instead of working; you know, concentrates. :silly:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 06:46:11 pm »
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:48:35 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online rustynail

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »
Bless her heart.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 10:15:53 pm »
You are being kind to her, Luis.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 10:21:36 pm »
a joint history of science and studies of women, gender, and sexuality concentrator
I understand there's a huge demand for her type of degree.   :whistle:  Would you like fries with that?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »
I concentrated very deeply on sexuality for most of my life.  I wish I had known I could get academic credit for it.  From Harvard, no less.

I at least give her credit for saying what most liberals think, but dare not say.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:33:09 pm by massadvj »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:04 pm »
I concentrated very deeply on sexuality for most of my life.  I wish I had known I could get academic credit for it.  From Harvard, no less.

I at least give her credit for saying what most liberals think, but dare not say.

If I had know that I would have more letters behind my name for sure! (I'm pretty certain that Harvard is the ONLY place one can get academic credit for that but I could be wrong!)

ROFLMAO!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:45:46 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:25 pm »
It looks like a few of you were graded by someone other than a Hawvawd perfesser!  :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:47 pm »
“What really bothered me is, the whole idea is that at a liberal arts college, we need to be hearing a diversity of opinion.”

Here's what I believe is the saddest aspect of this entire thing.

Students at two of our top liberal arts Universities think that "liberal arts college" means that these are politically liberal academic institutions that teach arts, instead of understanding that they are colleges that teach literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences rather than professional and technical subjects.

They are ignorant on the most basic aspects of their own academic lives.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:51 am »

Students at two of our top liberal arts Universities think that "liberal arts college" means that these are politically liberal academic institutions that teach arts, instead of understanding that they are colleges that teach literature, philosophy, mathematics, and social and physical sciences rather than professional and technical subjects.

They are ignorant on the most basic aspects of their own academic lives.

Hear Here!!

I couldn't agree more!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:09 am »

Most traditional liberal arts colleges HAVE turned into politically liberal institutions that teach arts.  The rest of them kept the ivy covered buildings and converted to professional and technical subjects.  There simply is no demand for majors like history, philosophy and mathematics any more.