Author Topic: Piers Morgan stepping down from prime-time  (Read 1237 times)

Offline mountaineer

Piers Morgan stepping down from prime-time
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:39 am »
CNN’s Piers Morgan says he’ll be stepping down from his ratings-challenged talk show, noting that his show has “run its course.”

The former London newspaper editor bluntly said that his cocksure British attitude rubbed viewers the wrong way.

“It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” Morgan told New York Times media columnist David Carr.

“I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it.”

Morgan didn’t give an exact time when “Piers Morgan Live” would be yanked from the lineup. It now airs at 9 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The host said he’s been in talks with CNN chief Jeff Zucker to make a graceful exit — perhaps to another role with the Atlanta-based network.

Morgan still wants to work for CNN, and interview news makers.

“I think I can credibly do news and the ratings reflect that, but it is not really the show that I set out to do,” he said.

“There are all kinds of people who can do news here. I’d like to do interviews with big celebrities and powerful people, that are better suited to what I do well.”

An incredibly self-critical Morgan said American TV viewers were clearly getting tired of his act.

Gun owners were among Morgan’s harshest critics. The show host had made gun-control one of his top talking points in the wake of campus and work-place assaults that have plagued America.

“I’m in danger of being the guy down at the end of the bar who is always going on about the same thing,” Morgan said.

“I’m sure there are plenty of people who are pissed off about this British guy telling them how to lead their lives and what they should do with their guns.”
New York Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Piers Morgan stepping down from prime-time
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:01 am »
Don't let the door ... well, you know.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:46 am »
Australian news report:
CONTROVERSIAL TV talk show host Piers Morgan is reportedly ending his three-year run on his CNN show, as it suffers in the ratings. 

Morgan is the host of the 9pm show, but he has reportedly told the New York Times that his time on the show is coming to an end.

“It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” Morgan told David Carr, The New York Times media columnist, who reported that Piers Morgan Live will “probably” see its last episode air this March.

Morgan, the successor to Larry King at the hour, had hosted a show on the network since January 2011.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:55:13 am »
Bu-bye.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:16 am »
Good Riddance to bad rubbish.. I wonder if he heard Jeremy Clarkson was coming over here to "talk" to him.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:52:50 am »
Bu-bye.

Not so fast...I hear he's got a new gig as the latest NFL locker room/sideline bitch......

:whistle:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:53:11 am by Chieftain »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 03:02:09 am »

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:02:16 am »
Who's Piers Morgan?   :pondering:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:15:59 am »
He edited a couple trash tabloids in Britain, where he got fired for first getting a little too pushy into celebrities' personal lives, then publishing fraudulent photos purporting to show American soldiers abusing detainees (not the Abu Ghraib ones, but around the same time). Then he came to America to judge a talent show competition. CNN decided he deserved to replace Larry King on those criteria alone.

All in all, not a very significant man and certainly a strange choice for a national show.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:22:51 am »
He edited a couple trash tabloids in Britain, where he got fired for first getting a little too pushy into celebrities' personal lives, then publishing fraudulent photos purporting to show American soldiers abusing detainees (not the Abu Ghraib ones, but around the same time). Then he came to America to judge a talent show competition. CNN decided he deserved to replace Larry King on those criteria alone.

All in all, not a very significant man and certainly a strange choice for a national show.

OK! Thanks!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:34 am »
Precisely!
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:15:25 am »
Not so fast...I hear he's got a new gig as the latest NFL locker room/sideline bitch......

:whistle:

:bigsilly:

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:03 am »
I've heard of two gigs for him.  Al Jezeerah is looking for a ratings booster with experience. :silly:  St. Algore is looking for an assistant who will continue to lie in spite of all evidence to the contrary. :seeya:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »
'Piers Morgan Live' staffers actually happy CNN canceled show: sources

One insider says the bombastic Brit was 'always such an a------- to people working for him' — especially the makeup girls. Confidenti@l hears Morgan's bad attitude and low ratings led to the show's demise.

BY MARIANNE GARVEY, BRIAN NIEMIETZ AND LACHLAN CARTWRIGHT
Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 2:42 AM
Updated: Tuesday, February 25, 2014, 10:02 AM

His own co-workers are glad he’s getting the boot. Staffers at “Piers Morgan Live” are actually relieved that CNN has canceled the show, sources tell Confidenti@l.

“He was always such an a------ to people working for him,” one insider says of the bombastic Brit. Morgan’s last show is likely to be this week, but no specific date has been set. We hear it was low ratings and a bad attitude that killed it, and the decision was made by network boss Jeff Zucker. “The makeup girls suffered the worst — he was rude and belligerent,” says our source. “The general feeling is Morgan didn’t show any respect to anyone working under him — the people who were trying to make him look good.” ...

Rest of article at NY Daily News