Author Topic: Why the eruption in Kiev could set off a tsunami that will engulf us all: As Ukraine burns, a stark warning from our most authoritative historian of Eastern Europe  (Read 1271 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2565792/Why-eruption-Kiev-set-tsunami-engulf-As-Ukraine-burns-stark-warning-authoritative-historian-Eastern-Europe.html

Why the eruption in Kiev could set off a tsunami that will engulf us all: As Ukraine burns, a stark warning from our most authoritative historian of Eastern Europe

By Mark Almond

PUBLISHED: 18:45 EST, 22 February 2014 | UPDATED: 03:58 EST, 23 February 2014

Television pictures of revolutions can make them seem like a spectator sport.

Having Vitali Klitschko, the world heavyweight boxing champion, playing a starring role in the events in Kiev reinforces that impression.

But the implosion of the Ukrainian state in the last 48 hours is a political earthquake.

Chaos in Kiev could set off a tsunami that will toss Western Europe from its moorings too.

It is a mistake to think we are watching from a safe distance.

Maybe Ukraine is as foreign to the British people today as it was when an obscure crisis on its southern coast in Queen Victoria’s reign became the Crimean War.

But not since the 1850s has this country come so close to colliding with Russia.

Ukraine sits on the fault line dividing Eastern Europe between pro-Western and pro-Russian views. Her people are split over attitudes to the old imperial capital, Moscow.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Am I naive to be of the mind that 2014 Soviet Union and their brand of Communism will NOT be the same as it was since Nikita Kruschev.

China has realized that free-market capitalism....in certain doses...can bring prosperity and contentment to the people.

Let's face it...Obama is of a similar mindset.

He thinks we're too unbalanced between the classes and wants to skim off the ones that are living paycheck to paycheck...so that more suffer.  More suffer?  More votes and and a louder 'voice'.

If the Olympics weren't going on right now, we'd be seeing Russian tanks quelling this "Revolution".

Good timing....since I don't believe in coincidences.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LambChop

Great article.  Things there are much more complicated than many would think.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
From wiki, about origins of the "Rus people" etc. Kiev was the center of the Kievan Rus culture, said to be the origin of Russian culture, over 1000 years ago. There are various versions of the history, but most agree that people from Sweden, Vikings, were involved. The very term "Russia," from "Rus" is derived from Scandinavian influence.

"Slavic sources[edit]

According to the earliest East Slavic record, the Primary Chronicle, the Rus' were a group of Varangians among others like Swedes and Gutes who lived on the other side of the Baltic Sea, in Scandinavia and as far as the land of the English and the French.[9] The Varangians were first expelled, then invited to rule the warring Slavic and Finnic tribes of Novgorod:

The four tribes who had been forced to pay tribute to the Varangians—Chuds, Slavs, Merians, and Krivichs drove the Varangians back beyond the sea, refused to pay them further tribute, and set out to govern themselves. But there was no law among them, and tribe rose against tribe. Discord thus ensued among them, and they began to war one against the other. They said to themselves, "Let us seek a prince who may rule over us, and judge us according to custom". Thus they went overseas to the Varangians, to the Rus. These particular Varangians were known as Rus, just as some are called Swedes, and others Normans and Angles, and still others Gutes, for they were thus named. The Chuds, the Slavs, the Krivichs and the Veps then said to the Rus, "Our land is great and rich, but there is no order in it. Come reign as princes, rule over us". Three brothers, with their kinfolk, were selected. They brought with them all the Rus and migrated.

—The Primary Chronicle[11]

Later, the Primary Chronicle tells us, they conquered Kiev and created the state of Kievan Rus' (which, as most historians agree,[citation needed] was preceded by the Rus' Khaganate). The territory they conquered was named after them as were, eventually, the local people (see Etymology of Rus and derivatives for further details)."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

I wonder if Russia is going to send troops to the Ukraine???
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

Most of what Putin foes hoes underreported, there is a thousand year old town 1000 moles from Moscow, elected s New mayor critical of Putin.. suddenly drug off yo who knows where.. I know this from the report NBC did yesterday on the hockey team who died in a 2011 plane crash there.
 This was their town... I've never heard the story of the now missing mayor until yesterday.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline kevindavis007

Most of what Putin foes hoes underreported, there is a thousand year old town 1000 moles from Moscow, elected s New mayor critical of Putin.. suddenly drug off yo who knows where.. I know this from the report NBC did yesterday on the hockey team who died in a 2011 plane crash there.
 This was their town... I've never heard the story of the now missing mayor until yesterday.

I think Putin is up to something..

Offline Rapunzel

Me, too.  BTW typing on my Kindle it changes my words at times, I really can spell... :silly:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Me, too.  BTW typing on my Kindle it changes my words at times, I really can spell... :silly:

I have the same problem on my #$%@^ phone!

Drives me bananas!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

For me it is the spell check on tablet and smartphone.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Of course he is! He wants the Ukraine firmly back under Russian control and that is what he shall have regardless of the consequences!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Outstanding article.

Must agree with the majority opinion here.  This is clearly written ... and chilling.

Thanks for posting.