Author Topic: DeMint: Republicans Had Little Choice on Debt-Limit Vote  (Read 727 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
DeMint: Republicans Had Little Choice on Debt-Limit Vote
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »
Sunday, 16 Feb 2014 03:14 PM
By Sandy Fitzgerald

Last week's debt-limit vote brought criticism from many conservatives, but Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint said he believes Republicans did the only thing they thought they could do.

"It was a defining vote this week," DeMint told NBC "Face the Nation" host Bob Schieffer. "I think it showed that all the Democrats in Congress were completely willing to give the president a blank check to borrow whatever he wanted. Most of the Republicans weren't."

However, the former South Carolina GOP senator said, Republican leaders, like House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, have figured out that they either give President Barack Obama "all the money and debt he wants or he's going to close the government down and blame it on them. So I think they did what they thought was the only thing they could do."

DeMint said he doesn't blame Boehner or other Republicans for their vote, but he also does not believe people who share his brand of conservatism feel well-represented in the nation's capital, and many Americans, "regardless of political labels," feel the same way.

"I hear it all over the country and I think that's why you see a stirring in the country,” DeMint said. “Frankly, people are less interested in the label of Republican and Democrat and they're tired of that but they will unite around some principles that will give us a stronger economy, a strong society, a strong America... America's not nearly as divided as it looks like they are in Washington.”

DeMint said he is concentrating on his work with the Heritage Foundation, which is working to promote conservative goals. He said he is not involved in the super PAC he founded, Senate Conservative Fund, which aims to oust moderate Republicans, including making a push this past week to remove Boehner as House speaker.

http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/debt-limit-vote-jim-demint/2014/02/16/id/553086

If I trust anybody I trust DeMint. But I have been scratching my head wondering recently... Just how far the republican establishment has gone into shutting down the tea party voice, if they have at all. My results of brief research, were not good I will post them in another thread.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:06:32 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline evadR

Re: DeMint: Republicans Had Little Choice on Debt-Limit Vote
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »
DeMint said he doesn't blame Boehner or other Republicans for their vote, but he also does not believe people who share his brand of conservatism feel well-represented in the nation's capital, and many Americans, "regardless of political labels," feel the same way.

Obviously I do not share his brand of conservatism...
and I am completely unrepresented in my nation's capital.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »
"I think it showed that all the Democrats in Congress were completely willing to give the president a blank check to borrow whatever he wanted. Most of the Republicans weren't."

What it demonstrated once again is that the republicans have no spine.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »
However, the former South Carolina GOP senator said, Republican leaders, like House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, have figured out that they either give President Barack Obama "all the money and debt he wants or he's going to close the government down and blame it on them. So I think they did what they thought was the only thing they could do."

Sadly, DeMint is correct. Obama knows with full certainty that he can blackmail and intimidate Republicans. They allow Obama to do whatever he wants because of the knowledge that the President can successfully blame the consequences of opposition, real or imagined, on Republicans.

Obama can do so for three reasons: first, because the news media is nearly uniform in its support for Democrats and for their agenda, and is equally hostile to the GOP. The second reason is, lacking a broad national vision and any discernible communicative ability, Republicans have not yet figured out how to overcome the first.  The third reason is that the elected GOP leadership shares with nearly all Democrats a fondness for Big Government and for the centralization of power and influence in Washington... just a bit less of it, and without the Left's ideological hostility to business and traditional values. 

For these reasons, even if the GOP today controlled the Senate, Obama would still be working his will - with greater difficulty and at a slower pace - but he would ultimately get his way, via veto threats, Executive Orders, filibusters and the free commercials known as Presidential press conferences, as broadcast by a news media that acts as Obama's press agents and public relations managers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:27:56 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »
"I think it showed that all the Democrats in Congress were completely willing to give the president a blank check to borrow whatever he wanted. Most of the Republicans weren't."

What it demonstrated once again is that the republicans have no spine.

I agree. The republicans problem of we HAVE TO DO THIS (raise the debt ceiling) and wait and see what we will do when we have the majority, is as old as Obama's promises.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »
Sadly, DeMint is correct. Obama knows with full certainty that he can blackmail and intimidate Republicans. They allow Obama to do whatever he wants because of the knowledge that the President can successfully blame the consequences of opposition, real or imagined, on Republicans.

Obama can do so for three reasons: first, because the news media is nearly uniform in its support for Democrats and for their agenda, and is equally hostile to the GOP. The second reason is, lacking a broad national vision and any discernible communicative ability, Republicans have not yet figured out how to overcome the first.  The third reason is that the elected GOP leadership shares with nearly all Democrats a fondness for Big Government and for the centralization of power and influence in Washington... just a bit less of it, and without the Left's ideological hostility to business and traditional values. 

For these reasons, even if the GOP today controlled the Senate, Obama would still be working his will - with greater difficulty and at a slower pace - but he would ultimately get his way, via veto threats, Executive Orders, filibusters and the free commercials known as Presidential press conferences, as broadcast by a news media that acts as Obama's press agents and public relations managers.

Great analysis Andy and I agree with you completely.  I do think though that if the Republicans can seize the Senate this year then we have an entirely different ballgame for the last 2 years of Obama.  He can write all the EOs he wants, but if the Congress doesn't fund it the program he tries to go around them with is useless.

And keep in mind that Dusty Harry Reid has successfully changed a number of important rules in the Senate, so that now all that is required to pass anything is a simple majority, instead of the super-majority that the old filibuster rules imposed.  So for example, a Republican Senate could indeed pass a repeal and replace bill for Obamacare, the President would veto it, and the Senate would promptly over-ride his veto with only 51 votes.  The Democrats will be screaming bloody murder when it happens, but happen it will. 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:40:00 pm »
Great analysis Andy and I agree with you completely.  I do think though that if the Republicans can seize the Senate this year then we have an entirely different ballgame for the last 2 years of Obama.  He can write all the EOs he wants, but if the Congress doesn't fund it the program he tries to go around them with is useless.

And keep in mind that Dusty Harry Reid has successfully changed a number of important rules in the Senate, so that now all that is required to pass anything is a simple majority, instead of the super-majority that the old filibuster rules imposed.  So for example, a Republican Senate could indeed pass a repeal and replace bill for Obamacare, the President would veto it, and the Senate would promptly over-ride his veto with only 51 votes.  The Democrats will be screaming bloody murder when it happens, but happen it will.

When the day comes that the dems lose majority of course they won't want this anymore. Can they change it?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:43 pm »
"DeMint said he doesn't blame Boehner or other Republicans for their vote, "

Some people had better start putting the party back together, or forget about moving towards holding more political power by winning elections.

He sounds like he gets that.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln