Author Topic: Getting the message across using work of fiction?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline drbell2022

Getting the message across using work of fiction?
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:15 am »
There are many excellent serious books dealing with the consequences of our policies of central planning and excessive government, but sometimes it feels like these books end up preaching to the choir and the message is not getting across to the broad population. In frustration, I decided to write a book that is serious "on the inside" but is wrapped into a fast-paced action, in hope that this approach will get through to more readers. The book is fictional but it is based on real facts, a political/financial thriller set in 2022 that tries to portray the results of our current policies and their impact on the US and the world. Some reviewers’ comments: “The story is well written and highlights the dangerous path the US is on,” "This is a cautionary tale wrapped in an action thriller."

You can see more about the book and what other reviewers thought of it at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGM63II/. If you think you might be interested in reading it and perhaps writing a review on Amazon, I’ll gladly send you a complimentary copy in Kindle, ePub, or PDF format. Just e-mail me with your request at drbell2022@gmail.com.

Best regards,
DR

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Getting the message across using work of fiction?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:04 am »
So Doctor Bell, to be certain that I am understanding you, and at the risk of getting my ass chewed by one of the more sensitive Mods here for being overly abrasive, rigid, unwelcoming in my demeanor, un-necessarily profane, less than culturally sensitive and un-appreciative of "expanding diversity" on the website for what they insist is more than just another spamming FNG who just wants to waste my time and the website's free and overly accessible bandwidth, let me see if I get this correct.

You joined this discussion forum today, and make your first (and likely {hopefully} last) post here, a bloody advertisement for your book??  And you can take your complimentary kindle edition and put it where the electromagnetism can get to it, as I deal with real books only, over.

Welcome aboard. So glad you decided to post.  Honest. Try peddling this shit over at that OTHER site and see how long you get away with it.

And I mean all of this in a GOOD way.

That is all.

:smokin:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:12:45 am by Chieftain »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:21:30 am »
I'm giving it a shot. Couldn't hurt.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:17:56 am »
By the way, what a welcoming touch there, Chief. Gave me the warm fuzzies.

Offline drbell2022

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:23 am »
To Chieftan: sorry, I did not mean to upset. I did not think that offering a free book would be offensive, but perhaps I was wrong and crossed the line, especially being new to the forum. I can't remove my post since it's the first in the thread, but I'll report myself to the administrator and ask him or her to remove it.
Thanks,
-dr

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
Not a problem and no need to remove it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »
To Chieftan: sorry, I did not mean to upset. I did not think that offering a free book would be offensive, but perhaps I was wrong and crossed the line, especially being new to the forum. I can't remove my post since it's the first in the thread, but I'll report myself to the administrator and ask him or her to remove it.
Thanks,
-dr

Let me say that, for my part, I do not take issue with what you did.  I think Chieftain over-reacted.  Bandwidth isn't free, but it practically is, and for my part I think we should encourage members to post information, even if it is self-promotional.  If others are uninterested, then the thread won't get bumped and that will be that.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00:34 pm »
There are many excellent serious books dealing with the consequences of our policies of central planning and excessive government, but sometimes it feels like these books end up preaching to the choir and the message is not getting across to the broad population. In frustration, I decided to write a book that is serious "on the inside" but is wrapped into a fast-paced action, in hope that this approach will get through to more readers. The book is fictional but it is based on real facts, a political/financial thriller set in 2022 that tries to portray the results of our current policies and their impact on the US and the world. Some reviewers’ comments: “The story is well written and highlights the dangerous path the US is on,” "This is a cautionary tale wrapped in an action thriller."

You can see more about the book and what other reviewers thought of it at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGM63II/. If you think you might be interested in reading it and perhaps writing a review on Amazon, I’ll gladly send you a complimentary copy in Kindle, ePub, or PDF format. Just e-mail me with your request at drbell2022@gmail.com.

Best regards,
DR

I'm downloading it. Thanks for posting. No need for the complimentary copy, it is only 99c on Amazon. :)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »

:silly:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »

Bad choice of words...need I remind you what supposedly gave Richard Gere his warm fuzzy feelings??  Maybe you need a gerbil avatar instead of a cat......

:beer:

Offline drbell2022

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »
For the record, I did ask the moderator to remove the thread. He kindly suggested that I grow thicker skin and try to contribute instead. OK. The fact of being labeled an FNG (I had to look it up) and a spammer is actually liberating, I can speak freely without worrying about my reputation, establishing myself in a new (to me) forum, etc. With that, I really don't care if you guys buy my book, you are not the target audience, I have little interest in preaching to the choir. And with the book being offered for $0.99 (this is the lowest price that Amazon allows on KDP Select and I can assure you that my share does not cover promotional expenses) or outright free (on request from me, plus whenever Amazon allows to make it free - which will be March 3-5), i have no financial incentive to try to convince a few people on this forum to buy it. But I would have liked some more reviews, if the book gets traction there will be a crowd of "one star reviewers" of the other political persuasion and I wanted to proactively prepare for this. So, Chieftan, you got me, I have a selfish motive here, I am not an altruist. Personally, I run as far away as I can from self-professed altruists, they scare me.

It looks like you have a great forum here. I see DeMint and de Tocqueville in subject lines. I am sure that Levin and D'Souza and Steyn and others are being quoted. All great writers in the cause of liberty, democracy, limited government, free markets, etc. I personally enjoy their writings. But here's a nagging suspicion that I developed after the last elections: I think they are being read by those that agree with them and those that disagree with them, but there is a huge group in the middle that does not read them. And it's important to reach that group.

I am new to the forum and don't know enough about it, so please forgive an impertinent question: do you feel that you are bringing in and convincing new people or is it mostly like-minded people participating? And if you don't find a way to reach out to people that don't currently participate or share your views, do you think the outcome in November 2016 would be different? Just asking, I don't know the answer.

I had an interesting (at least to me) observation in the process of trying to promote the book: I have divided the resources (time and money) between two groups, one being apolitical internet book promotions and the other conservative websites and blogs, the second group mostly to give away free books in order to gather reviews as explained above. The effectiveness of the first group exceeded my most optimistic expectations. Reaching out to the second group produced practically nothing. This forum is the only place where there was any reaction (not all positive, but at least a reaction). I don't want to be a walking definition of insanity, so I'll let the ads on conservative sites run out their already-paid-for course and die. But the phenomena was kind of interesting.

TBR has picture of Ronald Reagan, the last great American president IMHO. Reagan built his "big tent": "The Republican Party, both in this state and nationally, is a broad party.  There is room in our tent for many views; indeed, the divergence of views is one of our strengths.  Let no one, however, interpret this to mean compromise of basic philosophy or that we will be all things to all people for political expediency."  And I think that this reaching out and building a "big tent" is kind of missing now. If you do bother getting my book and you search for "Republican" or "Democrat," you'll get zero hits. It's this way on purpose. I think that much of the GOP establishment is just as guilty of the current FUBAR situation as the Democrats. And when the time comes to pay the piper, we'll all be in this together regardless of which party you belonged to.

The moderator asked me if I can offer sections of the book. Amazon's TOU for KDP Select prevent me from offering the book via any websites or blogs, only to reviewers via individual e-mail. But I attached a small excerpt, plus the first 10% on Amazon are free preview. And the whole book will be free there On March 3-5.

Now please feel free to take your shots at this FNG, just spare me Richard Gere and his gerbils.

Respectfully,

DR (my initials, not "Doctor")

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:45:03 pm »
Speaking for myself I'm glad you joined and feel you can bring dome New perspective to our site.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:47:19 pm »
TBR has picture of Ronald Reagan, the last great American president IMHO. Reagan built his "big tent": "The Republican Party, both in this state and nationally, is a broad party.  There is room in our tent for many views

This was exactly our intent when we formed TBR......welcome aboard!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:06:26 pm »
Welcome aboard, DR! 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:39 pm »
Welcome. Hurray if you plan to get more voters, for the center-right coalition if there still is, or can be such a thing.

Maybe you could cut-and-paste the jist of your approach for converting young voters to conservative-libertarian viewpoints.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:09 pm »

but there is a huge group in the middle that does not read them. And it's important to reach that group.

I am new to the forum and don't know enough about it, so please forgive an impertinent question: do you feel that you are bringing in and convincing new people or is it mostly like-minded people participating?

Now please feel free to take your shots at this FNG, just spare me Richard Gere and his gerbils.

Respectfully,

DR (my initials, not "Doctor")

Hi DR not doctor,

I think the moderates/libertarians are less on board with the dem party in general. Obama himself lost the independent vote in polls.

You have a valid point that there are some non political junkies that don't have a clue. That may well be, a good audience to attract.

Regarding this forum. I don't want it to be an echo chamber yet at the same time I like to vent here, i e...express the complete frustration and downright horror in disbelief of Obama and what he is doing and getting away with under the guise of his huge race card he plays when he is dared to be questioned.

The country is upside down and each day Obama shocks with his radical ideals and partisan bully tactics. AGAIN, you're correct some don't have a clue how upside down it is. But I would like to think if they get health insurance, medicare or need a job; they are waking up to new clues daily. Obama's tactics of taking his law of the land/rules/policies back- only after he sees they harm him politically and blaming others. Is transparent to, I would hope, most with half of a brain.

0005a  and I have to go look up FNG myself and  :3:   <----------------regarding Richard Gere's gerbils.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 10:34:27 pm »
I think Dinesh D’Souza, has done more than what anyone may realize in reaching out, possibly the 20 year olds can get a lot out of his films?

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:18 pm »
Thanks,
-dr

Forgive the rudeness and the gerbil comment.  Most here don't have the manners of a meth lord.   Thank you for visiting the site and offering up your book.   :patriot:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
Forgive the rudeness and the gerbil comment.  Most here don't have the manners of a meth lord.   Thank you for visiting the site and offering up your book.   :patriot:

Word..... :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline drbell2022

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:23 pm »
Welcome. Hurray if you plan to get more voters, for the center-right coalition if there still is, or can be such a thing.

Maybe you could cut-and-paste the jist of your approach for converting young voters to conservative-libertarian viewpoints.

The approach is basically the subject of this thread: integrate conservative-libertarian viewpoints into works of popular fiction. Ayn Rand did this with her philosophy 60 years ago. I am not in any way comparing myself to her, just illustrating that this has been done before and can be influential if the fiction is good and finds decent following. Whether my attempt is any good, I'll let others judge.
Cheers,
DR

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »
Welcome aboard D.R.!

I HOPE we aren't just "preaching to the choir" here!

Down loaded the book to my Kindle if I can find the time to read it! Right in the middle of our primary down here in Texas so busy as a one armed paper hanger!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 02:47:19 pm »
Sorry to sound stupid - but what does FNG mean?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 02:58:27 pm »
Sorry to sound stupid - but what does FNG mean?

F'n new guy! I think!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:58:57 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:35 pm »
F'n new guy! I think!

Oh, okay thanks Bigun.  I guess it could also be F'n new girl, too!

We were all FNGs once.   :beer:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 03:45:28 pm »
Oh, okay thanks Bigun.  I guess it could also be F'n new girl, too!

We were all FNGs once.   :beer:

:beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien