Author Topic: Republican firing squad: Shooting conservatives, not defeating liberals  (Read 552 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.commdiginews.com/politics-2/the-republicans-sem-circular-firing-squad-shooting-other-conservatives-not-defeating-liberals-10004/

Republican firing squad: Shooting conservatives, not defeating liberals

By Judson Phillips, Communities Digital News

WASHINGTON, February 21, 2014 – Hang around Republican circles long enough and you will hear, “We have got to stop these circular firing squads.” The logic is simple; Republicans are killing themselves with internecine wars instead of going out and defeating liberals.

It is a great theory. Perhaps the best word for it is theory. As conservatives are discovering, though, what Republicans who complain about the circular firing squad really want is a semi-circular firing squad. These voices in the Republican Party want conservatives to stop shooting at them, while they try to take out insurgent conservatives.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz is probably the poster child for the semi-circular firing squad right now. Barack Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the left do not have to lift a finger to go after him. The Republicans are doing it for them.

Steve LaTourette is allegedly a Republican. He is a former representative from Ohio and his primary claim to fame is serving for eighteen years in Congress without any major accomplishments. He founded the badly misnamed “Defending Main Street” PAC after he retired from Congress to become a lobbyist. Defending Main Street PAC is allegedly a Republican PAC, but it’s mission is not to defeat Democrats; it is to stop the influence of the Tea Party. LaTourette’s PAC is mostly funded by big Wall Street firms and left wing unions.

And LaTourette has made it his mission to go after Ted Cruz. He was recently on MSNBC in full semi-circular firing squad mode. He claimed it was “reprehensible” that Ted Cruz forced Republicans to live up to what they claim to believe and said that Ted Cruz should be forced out of the GOP.

Famed Conservative William F. Buckley founded the National Review. Today that once conservative standard-bearer is little more than a mouthpiece for the “Republican Establishment.” Mona Charen, a National Review writer, this week went on the attack against Cruz: “Cruz Aims at His Own Side — Again. He may be doing more damage to the GOP than are the Democrats.”

In a week that featured not only the usual Obama assaults on freedom and liberty but an Obama plan that would destroy freedom of the press in America, what does Charen think it is important to write about?

She attacks Ted Cruz for standing up for Republican values!

Conservatives should not put down their guns. Conservatives should not stop the so-called “circular firing squad.” Conservatives should fire faster!

The real problem the Republican establishment has is denial. For decades, conservatives dutifully sucked it up and worked for moderate candidates after conservatives were fairly and often unfairly defeated in inter-party contests.

Conservatives finally grew tired of a Republican Party that looked and acted very much like the Democratic Party. The rise of the Tea Party in 2009 was the first shot in the modern Republican Civil War.

But this time, unlike the past, conservatives are not going to go quietly back to support establishment candidates in the name of party unity. Conservatives are not simply going to walk away, because conservatives know they are a majority in the Republican Party.

The Republican establishment plans to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in 2014, not to defeat the Democrats but to defeat Tea Party Republicans. Karl Rove spent $325 million in 2012 for moderate Republicans; what does he have to show for it?

Conservatives are not afraid of the circular firing squad, and this time, it is not the conservatives who will surrender in the last chapter of the Republican civil war.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Republican firing squad: Shooting conservatives, not defeating liberals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:26 pm »
Excellent piece, thank you for posting it.

And let me put it this way:  For me, it isn't about "liking" Ted Cruz or Mike Lee or Louie Gohmert, and not "liking" John Boehner or Mitch McConnell.

It is about the fact that I believe (with all of my mind and heart) that continuing along the Establishment path is never going to fix anything, and just continue to make it worse.  I'm not sure if it is already "too late" (in many respects I think we all understand that it is), but it is pretty apparent that we need a radical change in direction (such as offered by Cruz, Lee, and a small group of others) if there is to be any hope at all.

And I know that many will not agree with this part, and that is fine by me, but I also don't believe a Senate and House majority (if it is led and filled with Establishment Republicans) is going to do anything that will amount to a hill of beans to stop the decline and begin to fix the problems.  I simply just don't.  It is as many have expressed here: the Establishment Republicans just want to be the ones managing the Big Government, they seriously have no interest in dismantling it.

Of course this is one of those propositions that I would love to be proven wrong on.  Very much so.  So maybe we will see, maybe they will defeat all/most  of the primary challengers and win enough seats to create a Senate Republican Majority led by Mitch McConnell.  And then maybe we will see what happens....  As I said, this is one in which I hope that I am totally wrong (for the sake of our children and grandchildren especially).  I'd love to eat crow on this one, big time.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »
Excellent piece, thank you for posting it.

And let me put it this way:  For me, it isn't about "liking" Ted Cruz or Mike Lee or Louie Gohmert, and not "liking" John Boehner or Mitch McConnell.

It is about the fact that I believe (with all of my mind and heart) that continuing along the Establishment path is never going to fix anything, and just continue to make it worse.  I'm not sure if it is already "too late" (in many respects I think we all understand that it is), but it is pretty apparent that we need a radical change in direction (such as offered by Cruz, Lee, and a small group of others) if there is to be any hope at all.

And I know that many will not agree with this part, and that is fine by me, but I also don't believe a Senate and House majority (if it is led and filled with Establishment Republicans) is going to do anything that will amount to a hill of beans to stop the decline and begin to fix the problems.  I simply just don't.  It is as many have expressed here: the Establishment Republicans just want to be the ones managing the Big Government, they seriously have no interest in dismantling it.

Of course this is one of those propositions that I would love to be proven wrong on.  Very much so.  So maybe we will see, maybe they will defeat all/most  of the primary challengers and win enough seats to create a Senate Republican Majority led by Mitch McConnell.  And then maybe we will see what happens....  As I said, this is one in which I hope that I am totally wrong (for the sake of our children and grandchildren especially).  I'd love to eat crow on this one, big time.

Well said.

It saddens me to see what has happened at NRO. To think people like Kathleen Parker and David Frum were allowed to reside there speaks volumes about what has happened. Rich Lowry isn't even a pale copy of Buckley.   These days their biggest event is the yearly cruise which is pretty much nothing but a GOPe-like vacation... and the following is the type of thing that comes from those cruises...

what Republicans who complain about the circular firing squad really want is a semi-circular firing squad. These voices in the Republican Party want conservatives to stop shooting at them, while they try to take out insurgent conservatives.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 11:54:04 pm »
It is very painful Rap, and you are totally correct about NRO.  What troubles me the most is that had more of us (myself included, I put myself at the top of the too "fat and happy" and self-absorbed for too long list) been paying attention decades  ago, we may have been able to prevent a great deal of this decline.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
katz I am glad to see you posting more..I do enjoy reading your posts.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:20:55 am »
Good posts, Katz and Rap! The republicans don't have the taste for doing the job correctly, particularly when something uncomfortable applies. They can be equated to doctors who get sick at the sight of blood. Neither can be successful at their jobs.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:26:09 am »
katz I am glad to see you posting more..I do enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks, Myst.  I have periods when I can't bring myself to post much, just sort of read and grit my teeth.  Then I go through periods when I can't keep my big mouth shut!!  lol

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:53:03 am »
The establishment is getting REALLY worried me thinks!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:35 am »
The establishment is getting REALLY worried me thinks!

All the money in the world won't force people to vote and without the votes the establishment is in big trouble,
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:39 am »
Conservatives are not afraid of the circular firing squad, and this time, it is not the conservatives who will surrender in the last chapter of the Republican civil war.

Then they're idiots.  Nobody survives a circular firing squad - that's where the term's metaphorical impact lies.