Author Topic: Oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America? Location of Fort Caroline may be in Georgia  (Read 759 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140221111218.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Ffossils_ruins+%28Fossils+%26+Ruins+News+--+ScienceDaily%29

Oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America? Location of Fort Caroline may be in Georgia

Date:
February 21, 2014

Source:
Florida State University

Summary:
In an announcement likely to rewrite the book on early colonization of the New World, two researchers have proposed a location for the oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America. They believe that the legendary Fort Caroline, a long-sought fort built by the French in 1564, is located near the mouth of the Altamaha River in southeast Georgia.

The Fort Caroline site has not yet been excavated by archeologists.

continued at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

pretty cool!  the article is worth the read.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SouthTexas

Neat!

We had a French fort near year.  The Karankawas had them for lunch.