Author Topic: Thomas Sowell Makes the Case for Ted Cruz  (Read 331 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Thomas Sowell Makes the Case for Ted Cruz
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Thomas Sowell Makes the Case for Ted Cruz
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »
In the German elections of 1932, the Nazi party received 37 percent of the vote. They became part of a democratically elected coalition government, in which Hitler became chancellor. Only step by step did the Nazis dismantle democratic freedoms and turn the country into a complete dictatorship.

The political majority could have united to stop Hitler from becoming a dictator. But they did not unite. They fought each other over their differences. Some figured that they would take over after the Nazis were discredited and defeated. Many who plotted this clever strategy died in Nazi concentration camps. Unfortunately, so did millions of others.

I was not aware Sowell said this. This is ludicrous, no ifs ands or buts about it.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
I was not aware Sowell said this. This is ludicrous, no ifs ands or buts about it.
What that Sowell said about history in Germany in those two paragraphs is not true?

Can you expand upon your objection with something besides "ludicrous?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
Please stop being obtuse, the article and post says he used that as an example in comparison to Cruz.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
What that Sowell said about history in Germany in those two paragraphs is not true?

Gazoo has no awareness of context.  His awareness is a mile wide and an inch deep.  Earlier today he waded into a back-and-forth on the Catholic Church and quickly realized he was in over his head.

I suspect the same could be said for 20th century European history.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »

Let me save some time and re post it for you, as in the not so far off past I have learned you cannot have a reasonable discussion, even after you take things the wrong way and then are apologized to.

In it, Sowell warns against the politics of self-interest and the dangers of failing to unify at delicate points in history. More to the point, he accuses Ted Cruz of working against such unity and invokes some historical context as part as an example of the potential consequences of what Sowell apparently believes to be recklessness.

The example he uses has been the source of much controversy.

In the German elections of 1932, the Nazi party received 37 percent of the vote. They became part of a democratically elected coalition government, in which Hitler became chancellor. Only step by step did the Nazis dismantle democratic freedoms and turn the country into a complete dictatorship.

The political majority could have united to stop Hitler from becoming a dictator. But they did not unite. They fought each other over their differences. Some figured that they would take over after the Nazis were discredited and defeated. Many who plotted this clever strategy died in Nazi concentration camps. Unfortunately, so did millions of others.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:45:03 PM by Gazoo »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
Gazoo has no awareness of context.  His awareness is a mile wide and an inch deep.  Earlier today he waded into a back-and-forth on the Catholic Church and quickly realized he was in over his head.

I suspect the same could be said for 20th century European history.

I did not back off of discussion of Catholicism because I was in over my head. I don't discuss theology with hotheaded know it alls such as yourself. You have no humor and are as thin-skinned as a little girl.

I am not a he.

I have now responded to you and if you so chose to get your panties in a wad and whine at my response so be it, you will not destroy this thread. I'd prefer you put me on ignore as I will you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:03:46 PM »
Once again, what historical facts concerning Germany in the 1930s does professor Sowell have wrong?

If you are coming up with a blank, you might read books by William Shirer, including "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," and you would then realize Sowell is conducting a history lesson.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
I did not back off of discussion of Catholicism because I was in over my head. I don't discuss theology with hotheaded know it alls such as yourself. You have no humor and are as thin-skinned as a little girl.

I am not a he.

I have now responded to you and if you so chose to get your panties in a wad and whine at my response so be it, you will not destroy this thread. I'd prefer you put me on ignore as I will you.

You didn't engage is a discussion of Catholicism because you don't know jack about Catholicism, even if you, yourself, are Catholic.

I'm virtually brimming over with humor, but don't cast pearls.

I've decided to take you off ignore because it's too much fun piercing your slovenly grasp of facts.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »

When you boil it all down, it seems this is a fight about who's going to hold the wings and who's going to...........the chicken.   :laugh:

Cruz wants to be the voice of the Republican Party.

And guess what?   If leader means spokesperson, he deserves to be.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf