Author Topic: Dem Candidate for DA in Texas: Domestic Violence 'Overrated'  (Read 636 times)

Offline happyg

Dem Candidate for DA in Texas: Domestic Violence 'Overrated'
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »
By Cathy Burke
A Democratic candidate for district attorney in Texas says domestic violence is "so overrated," and complains that the issue takes up too much court time.

"That’s my issue, right there," Harris County district attorney candidate Lloyd Oliver told the Texas Observer in a story published Wednesday.

"Family violence is so, so overrated," he asserted, saying that "just me touching you" would be considered "an act of family violence," adding: "An inordinate amount of time [is] spent on that when we could get more criminals out of Harris County by doing what I suggest, I guarantee."

Oliver said the best way to deal with such cases is to ensure they get super-speedy trials.

"The district attorney will have a trial going at every court at every hour every day when I’m elected," he said. "Justice delayed is just no damn justice at all. And that’s what I see. You see those filthy baby-rapers — they get tried, what, nine months later? A year later? Why not two months later? How long does it take to prepare a case?"

Oliver, a criminal defense lawyer who’s run for judge five times in Harris County as both a Republican and a Democrat, and who in 2012 beat a favored Democratic candidate in the primary and then came within 5 points of winning the general election, faces prosecutor Kim Ogg in this year’s Democratic primary.

"It’s my race to lose," he told the Houston Chronicle. "My strategy is to watch a lot of TV, I think. That’s all I’ve been doing."

In the paper’s endorsement of Ogg, the editors wrote: "Primary voters should give Oliver the thrashing he deserves for making a mockery of our elections."

Oliver has stirred up controversy before, referring in 2012 to local Democratic leaders as "frustrated homosexuals," the Texas Observer noted, and suggesting victims of domestic violence should "learn how to box a little better." He also said battery can be a "prelude to lovemaking.”

"I love to see justice done," he told the Texas Observer about his domestic violence platform.

"I love to see some man and his wife and children put back together again, and their relationship, they’re working on their relationship to make it better, better, better. And maybe there’s an act of violence. Maybe there’s a positive side to that. They get help and the family stays together . . .  And if the law is stupid, let’s reform it. It is stupid. It’s stupid."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Lloyd-Oliver-Texas-domestic-violence/2014/02/19/id/553654#ixzz2tsjnU9R8
 Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Dem Candidate for DA in Texas: Domestic Violence 'Overrated'
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:10:56 pm »
sheesh......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Re: Dem Candidate for DA in Texas: Domestic Violence 'Overrated'
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »
"Family violence is so, so overrated," he asserted, saying that "just me touching you" would be considered "an act of family violence," adding: "An inordinate amount of time [is] spent on that when we could get more criminals out of Harris County by doing what I suggest, I guarantee."
I suspect most "just me touching you" cases never get to trial anyway, assuming charges are filed in the first place.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org