Author Topic: Cruz Storms GOP Establishment Stronghold in Sunshine State with Record-Setting Crowd  (Read 3896 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/02/20/Cruz-FL-Event-Catches-Fire

by Matthew Boyle 20 Feb 2014, 3:14 PM PDT

SARASOTA, Florida—The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) just held its winter meeting here, and the wealthy beachfront communities that dot the coast are typically considered one of the beating hearts of the Establishment GOP's donor community.

Tonight, though, it's Cruz country.

An event originally scheduled as a small rally for potential 2016 presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) mushroomed into a major political event after nearly 2,000 people RSVP'd online.

“We are shocked at the level of interest that we’ve received for doing this rally,” Sarasota GOP chairman Joe Gruters told Breitbart News.

“It’s obvious that the state is aware that he is listening, and they’re excited about what Ted Cruz is saying and it certainly cuts across the bow of the establishment in D.C., which is maybe not trying to ‘stifle’ what Sen. Cruz is saying but certainly that Cruz is getting so much attention at the local level in a county like Sarasota shows you that he’s a major player and that people should watch out for and everything that the guy is doing,” he added.

Cruz opened his remarks here with one his signature phrases. “I spent all of last week in Washington, D.C.," he said. "It is great to be back in America.”

Following what will now be a sizable rally at the Sarasota Hyatt – participants are already lining up “like Black Friday campers at Best Buy,” one organizer emailed – Cruz will attend a $500 per person VIP fundraiser and, to wrap up the evening, a $5,000 per couple private donor dinner.

The fundraising proceeds are going to the Sarasota County GOP party.

Organizers say 1,800 people signed up for the rally and at least 200 for the dinner.

It's unusual for an event like this to catch fire, Gruters said, because the community is known less for its conservative activists than its business-minded GOP donors.

“We are a center right community,” he said. “If you look at all of our individuals and officials on a local level, they’re all pretty much just barely center right. The interest and the energy that’s being created as a result of this event is that Cruz—to me, it’s just amazing. From my standpoint, Ted Cruz is a serious political player—and it’s amazing he’s able to attract these large crowds.”

When reached by phone early Thursday afternoon, organizers told Breitbart News they were still rearranging chairs because they needed to ensure there was enough standing room in the venue so as not to break the fire marshall code.

Originally, organizers had planned on having a rally with several hundred people where Cruz would receive the Sarasota GOP “Statesman of the Year” award. Past winners have included Sean Hannity, Donald Trump and Haley Barbour. But when the party announced the event online, an unexpected swarm of GOP activists from the grassroots sought to ensure they had the opportunity to get in to see Cruz in action. “If you have a single candidate rally and you get 500 people in the room, it’s a great day,” Gruters said. “To have almost 2,000 in the room for a single candidate—it’s amazing.”

Gruters also made a strong pitch for other GOP officials to make a stop in his back yard.

“I like to say ‘Sarasota is the new Iowa,’” Gruters said. “If you want to be a serious presidential candidate, you better stop at Palm Beach and you better stop at Sarasota because we have the donors and we have the base activists. My question to everybody is: ‘Go to a rally somewhere else and see how many people you get,'” he said. 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Hmmm doesn't look like he is an embarrassment to anyone but the GOP establishment.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

Real republicans applaud Ted Cruz. We have few true republicans who vote with the platform of the party in mind or even the constitution they made an oath to protect as leaders right now. The real republicans know this and turn out for someone who does.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

It's unusual for an event like this to catch fire, Gruters said, because the community is known less for its conservative activists than its business-minded GOP donors.

“We are a center right community,” he said. “If you look at all of our individuals and officials on a local level, they’re all pretty much just barely center right.
The interest and the energy that’s being created as a result of this event is that Cruz—to me, it’s just amazing. From my standpoint, Ted Cruz is a serious political player—and it’s amazing he’s able to attract these large crowds.”

My goodness, don't all these people realize that Ted Cruz was responsible for the government shutdown?   :shrug:

Offline evadR

My goodness, don't all these people realize that Ted Cruz was responsible for the government shutdown?   :shrug:
My goodness, don't all these people realize that Ted Cruz was credited with the government shutdown? 

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline sinkspur

Yep.  It's an instinctive reaction.

Drivers slow down for car wrecks, too.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yep.  It's an instinctive reaction.

Drivers slow down for car wrecks, too.

Wow..everyone is wrong about Cruz except for the Fab 3 or is that 4 here on TBR..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline sinkspur

Wow..everyone is wrong about Cruz except for the Fab 3 or is that 4 here on TBR..

I'm just joshin'.

Lots of Republicans love Cruz.  He's an important facet of the Republican Party.

I wish those who love Cruz thought the party was big enough to include people like John Cornyn and me.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Ted Cruz and company have The Washington establishment REALLY worried for the first time in a LONG time!

And that includes those who post here!

And although I have no way to know it for sure I would be VERY surprised if they don't have some special interest in keeping things as they are in Washington.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:02:22 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Ted Cruz and company have The Washington establishment REALLY worried for the first time in a LONG time!

And that includes those who post here!

Nobody's worried about Ted Cruz.  If he expects to have a national impact, he will have to learn how to get along with other members of the GOP. So far, he thinks he can lead without the consensus of other GOP politicians.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I'm just joshin'.

Lots of Republicans love Cruz.  He's an important facet of the Republican Party.

I wish those who love Cruz thought the party was big enough to include people like John Cornyn and me.

I have no trouble with Cornyn other than the fact I wish he was more conservative...but I wish that on all Repubs..including you...lol
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have no trouble with Cornyn other than the fact I wish he was more conservative...but I wish that on all Repubs..including you...lol

I think John Cornyn has been a senator long enough, Thank him for his service, and want him to come home now! Working very hard to arrange that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'm just joshin'.

:beer: 

Damned right there's room for you, Sink! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

I'm just joshin'.

Former Rep. Steven LaTourette said Cruz should leave the party. I wonder how many agree with him? The party is big enough for everyone, but everyone is not welcome. Cruz comes to mind.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Former Rep. Steven LaTourette said Cruz should leave the party. I wonder how many agree with him? The party is big enough for everyone, but everyone is not welcome. Cruz comes to mind.

You know....you have to remember that just today, John McCain came to the conclusion that Barack Obama is the most naive, inept POTUS on foreign policy since Jimmy Carter.

IOW...he STILL thinks Barack Obama loves his country and is as much a Patriot as you or I.

ERGO....it must follow that there are other 'gentlemen' of the rulling class in the GOP that don't see the destruction of the free market system and the systematic takeover of personal choice and freedom through the Affordable Care Act as a threat to the Constitutional form of government.

Mr. LaTourette certainly fits the definition.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:06:46 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

I think John Cornyn has been a senator long enough, Thank him for his service, and want him to come home now! Working very hard to arrange that!

See. Here ya go.  Cornyn doesn't toe the TP line (even though he votes 98% with the Tea Party), so he's too old to be a Senator, even though he's a solid conservative.

Let's replace him with a guy with no legislative experience who thinks it's cute to compare sitting Senators to turtles, or a lunatic who aspires to an office he barely campaigns for.

If Steve Stockman somehow drives the primary to a run-off, will he take the buck-ninety-eight he has in his campaign fund and run off to the Middle East again?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Yeah Bigun, the biggest problem with Cornyn, McConnell, McCain, etc - is that they've been there TOO LONG!  They are out of touch with ordinary Americans trying to survive in this "Great Recession" - the one that these career-for-life politicians have created over the decades they've been living high on the government teat! 

They may have had high ideals when we first sent them to Washington, but over the years they've just turned into big fat bloated ticks. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

That's not me.  Cruz is a Republican I voted for.

But he's going to have to learn something 5-year olds get in Kindergarten:  how to play well with others.

Offline sinkspur

Yeah Bigun, the biggest problem with Cornyn, McConnell, McCain, etc - is that they've been there TOO LONG!  They are out of touch with ordinary Americans trying to survive in this "Great Recession" - the one that these career-for-life politicians have created over the decades they've been living high on the government teat! 

They may have had high ideals when we first sent them to Washington, but over the years they've just turned into big fat bloated ticks.

So Republicans should support raising the minimum wage? 

What policies do they not support that would help "ordinary Americans trying to survive in this "Great Recession"?  Are you aware that the recession ended FIVE YEARS AGO?

Are you aware that the great hero of the GOP--Ronald Reagan--raised taxes THREE TIMES in his presidency?  McConnell, Cornyn, even McCain--none of these Senators has voted to raise taxes on "ordinary Americans."

Offline alicewonders

See. Here ya go.  Cornyn doesn't toe the TP line (even though he votes 98% with the Tea Party), so he's too old to be a Senator, even though he's a solid conservative.

Let's replace him with a guy with no legislative experience who thinks it's cute to compare sitting Senators to turtles, or a lunatic who aspires to an office he barely campaigns for.

If Steve Stockman somehow drives the primary to a run-off, will he take the buck-ninety-eight he has in his campaign fund and run off to the Middle East again?

Sink, the problem is the "legislative experience".  That's all these guys know how to do - is create more and more laws, and how to play political tit-for-tat with the other side so they can all stay in Washington for life. 

And when do they ever UNDO any of these laws?  Never!  They don't enforce the ones they've got so they have to make a big show about making new laws.  It's like a snake eating it's own tail!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:24:49 am by alicewonders »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ I think John Cornyn has been a senator long enough, Thank him for his service, and want him to come home now! Working very hard to arrange that! ]]

If I was advising one of Mr. Cornyn's primary opponents, I'd suggest they run a TV ad that said, "It's time for Mr. Cornyn to earn his FOURTH pension!"

Offline sinkspur

Sink, the problem is the "legislative experience".  That's all these guys know how to do - is create more and more laws, and how to play political tit-for-tat with the other side so they can all stay in Washington for life. 

And when do they ever UNDO any of these laws?  Never!  They don't enforce the ones they've got so they have to make a big show about making new laws.  It's like a snake eating it's own tail!

Congress makes laws; the Executive Branch enforces them.

By my reckoning, the GOP House tried FORTY TIMES to repeal Obamacare.  They couldn't do it because they didn't have the Senate or the Presidency.

Sometimes, I think some TPers live in a fantasy world in which simply desiring something strong enough will make it so.  Do you know how politics works?

Offline sinkspur

[[ I think John Cornyn has been a senator long enough, Thank him for his service, and want him to come home now! Working very hard to arrange that! ]]

If I was advising one of Mr. Cornyn's primary opponents, I'd suggest they run a TV ad that said, "It's time for Mr. Cornyn to earn his FOURTH pension!"

Cornyn's opponents don't have any money.  They can't run TV ads.

Offline alicewonders

So Republicans should support raising the minimum wage? 

What policies do they not support that would help "ordinary Americans trying to survive in this "Great Recession"?  Are you aware that the recession ended FIVE YEARS AGO?

Are you aware that the great hero of the GOP--Ronald Reagan--raised taxes THREE TIMES in his presidency?  McConnell, Cornyn, even McCain--none of these Senators has voted to raise taxes on "ordinary Americans."

No, they should not support raising the minimum wage - that will only make it worse.  Obamacare is a raise in taxes, and these old-timers aren't doing anything to try to stop it.  They're not FIGHTING anymore - Lord, they're not even trying to create a facade of fighting anymore.  They have become ineffective at keeping the promises they throw so loosely at us come re-election time...it's just lip-service and we can see right through it.

We don't want Republicans to smile and call each other "my friend across the aisle" and yield compromises that the Democrats never, never, never reciprocate to.  The Republican party seems to be content being the loser party. 

And how about that strategy of treating the guys that we send to Washington based on their promises of changing the way things are done - and when they try to do something - they are scorned, mocked and ridiculed even to the point of telling them they should leave the party?  How's that any way to treat a significant number of your base? 

We're mad at the empty promises, the out-of-control spending and the scorn.  The anger is palpable now. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Nobody's worried about Ted Cruz.  If he expects to have a national impact, he will have to learn how to get along with other members of the GOP. So far, he thinks he can lead without the consensus of other GOP politicians.

Considering the fact that the proceeds of this event with these 2K people are going to the Sarasota County GOP, it seems to me he is getting along with local grassroots GOPers just fine.  It's only the Washington Republicans like McCain who hold him in disdain, which the rest of us consider a badge of honor.