Author Topic: Ben Affleck to testify befodre congress as an Africa expert  (Read 657 times)

rangerrebew

Ben Affleck to testify befodre congress as an Africa expert
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:11:21 pm »
Exclusive: Ben Affleck to Testify Before Congress as an Africa Expert
BY John Hudson   
FEBRUARY 20, 2014 - 09:22 AM

With a vicious spate of mass killings plaguing the Democratic Republic of the Congo, a Senate panel is calling on experts to appear before U.S. lawmakers next week. One of them is Hollywood actor and serial activist Ben Affleck, The Cable has learned.

Affleck is slated to appear before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee next Wednesday to discuss the troubled central African country of 75 million people. The Argo director has shown a keen interest in Congo in recent years through his philanthropic organization, the Eastern Congo Initiative. But not everyone thinks Affleck's resume qualifies him to testify on Capitol Hill. When the Seattle-based advisory firm working for Affleck, WilliamsWorks, tried to set up a similar event in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives, Republicans did not accept, according to a Congressional aide familiar with the matter. "It was floated and turned down," said the aide.

It's unclear if Republicans declined due to scheduling issues or philosophical differences. One GOP aide at the House Foreign Affairs Committee said the meeting would be inappropriate given the wide offering of other experts available to speak on the issue. "People serious about resolving problems - especially problems related to life and death - want to have serious conversations with experts and leaders in the field; not celebrities," the aide said. Defending Affleck's presence, a separate aide said it doesn't have to be an "either-or decision," noting that experts could speak alongside the actor during a hearing. "I think there's value in having someone like Ben there," said the aide. "He's pretty invested in the issue."

Other experts who will be appearing before the Senate panel on Wednesday include Russell Feingold, the U.S. special envoy for the Great Lakes region and Congo; Roger Meece, former U.S. ambassador to Congo; and Raymond Gilpin, the National Defense University's academic dean.* 

Since 1996, the former Belgian colony has been beset with disease, violence and malnourishment in a conflict involving ethnic rivalries and a battle for the region's resources of copper, gold and diamonds. Just last week, the United Nations mission in Congo, MONUSCO, said more than 70 people had been hacked to death by armed groups in the resource-rich northeastern North Kivu province.

ECI, Affleck's philanthropic organization, emphasizes direct giving by connecting donors with Congolese nonprofits rather than channeling money into large international NGOs. Affleck has also testified on Congo before the House Armed Services Committee in 2012. At the time, he called for the U.S. to play a greater role in influencing the United Nation's role in the country. "Without persistent, high-level leadership by the United States, the key players will not come to the table and do their part," he said. "They deserve better than this cycle of violence and upheaval."

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Ben Affleck to testify befodre congress as an Africa expert
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:16:09 pm »
oh, brother... film a movie in Africa and that makes you an expert?  Why don't they call someone who has done something there - like GWBush.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »
I guess Meryl Streep was busy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01:21 am »
Ben Affleck is an expert at nothing not even his profession.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:03:59 am »
I am so sick of politicians (on both sides) holding hearings just so they can rub shoulders with actors and sports stars. Here is a clue- they are not an expert on anything outside their profession. If you want to learn about acting, call Affleck. If you want to learn about baseball, call Nolan Ryan. If you want to learn about anything else, don't call an actor or sports star.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, QUIT DOING IT WITH MY MONEY!!!!!

(can you tell I just finished my taxes this year and realized I could employ a small village with what I pay in taxes).

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:06:57 am »
X = Quality or quantity unknown

Spurt = Drip under pressure
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:14 am »
I am so sick of politicians (on both sides) holding hearings just so they can rub shoulders with actors and sports stars. Here is a clue- they are not an expert on anything outside their profession. If you want to learn about acting, call Affleck. If you want to learn about baseball, call Nolan Ryan. If you want to learn about anything else, don't call an actor or sports star.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, QUIT DOING IT WITH MY MONEY!!!!!

(can you tell I just finished my taxes this year and realized I could employ a small village with what I pay in taxes).

Agree..........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:09 am »
oh, brother... film a movie in Africa and that makes you an expert?  Why don't they call someone who has done something there - like GWBush.

Max Baucus was just named US ambassador to China, and he admitted in his confirmation hearing he's not an expert on China.

Who cares if Ben Affleck is speaking the words of an idiot to a committee.  Calling George W. Bush there is a foolish pipedream.  LOL
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------