Author Topic: [WATCH] Awkward silence falls upon Dem lawmakers when constituents ask about Obamacare  (Read 1193 times)

Offline happyg

Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz must have forgotten to share her talking points with a trio of Minnesota Democrats asked about the Obamacare train wreck, as their only response to constituents about the failing law was awkward silence.

Members of Minnesota’s delegation, including Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D) and Reps. Tim Walz (D) and Collin Peterson (D), gathered for an agricultural symposium at South Central College in North Mankato, Minn. Though the trio addressed issues surrounding the recently passed farm bill, they also fielded questions about the Affordable Care Act. And one left the Democrats speechless, a video from Minnesota’s KEYC shows.

“I thought the Affordable Healthcare Act would save $2,500 per family,” an attendee asked. “What happened?”

A silence quickly fell over the room as Klobuchar and Walz exchanged nervous glances. The audience then burst out laughing.

Peterson quickly stepped in, saying he voted “no” on the bill in the first place and passed the buck to his colleagues.

“I’ll let these guys handle that,” he said as the crowd applauded.

In response, Klobuchar and Walz recognized the issues surrounding the law, including an increase in premiums and cancelled policies, and affirmed that they were working to fix it.

“This healthcare discussion has got to be broader, it has got to point out where there are weaknesses and failures, it’s got to make sure we’re not leaving people behind or distorting the system,” Walz said in response. “But, don’t pretend there was some sort of safe harbor before this where everything was just peachy keen.”

Many Democrats are finding themselves faced with angry constituents over the implementation of the healthcare law. And the party’s unwavering support of Obamacare is proving to present some challenges as the 2014 midterm elections inch closer and closer. Several Democrats committed to running on the Affordable Care Act, though it seems they have taken to blaming the White House for the law’s failures, instead.

Both Walz and Peterson are up for reelection in November.
By Melissa Quinn

Video at link: http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/02/20/watch-awkward-silence-falls-upon-dem-lawmakers-when-constituents-ask-about-obamacare/#.UwZRZv4bNZU.twitter

Offline Relic

The guy seated at the end of the table has it right. He said something about no safe harbor before. Republicans, and their lack of vision, and inability to act paved the way for Obamacare.

Hillarycare was the warning shot. They ignored it.

Offline Rapunzel

The guy seated at the end of the table has it right. He said something about no safe harbor before. Republicans, and their lack of vision, and inability to act paved the way for Obamacare.

They not only ignored it, Newt's fingers are all over much of this - I work in healthcare and I've seen the changes since 1992... massive.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline xfreeper

Agreed they paved the way but that still doesn't justify passing a clusterf*** like zero care. A choice between something that is 20% screwed up and something that is 80% screwed up should still be an easy choice. In other words don't take something that is less than perfect and destroy it to replace it with something that is a clear mess

Offline Relic

Agreed they paved the way but that still doesn't justify passing a clusterf*** like zero care. A choice between something that is 20% screwed up and something that is 80% screwed up should still be an easy choice. In other words don't take something that is less than perfect and destroy it to replace it with something that is a clear mess

I would say the public wanted something done. Healthcare was an issue that touched most everyone. I also consider the public to be generally stupid, with low expectations. Those low expectations were cultivated by the everyone gets a trophy culture we live in. So, effort is as good as success to many Americans. The Democrats didn't hurt themselves as badly as you might imagine with this mess they created. I think people expected it, but are glad they did something.

Offline xfreeper

doing 'something' is not always better than doing 'nothing'. I think even people frustrated with doing 'nothing' get that sconcept.

Offline Rapunzel

I would say the public wanted something done. Healthcare was an issue that touched most everyone. I also consider the public to be generally stupid, with low expectations. Those low expectations were cultivated by the everyone gets a trophy culture we live in. So, effort is as good as success to many Americans. The Democrats didn't hurt themselves as badly as you might imagine with this mess they created. I think people expected it, but are glad they did something.

This problem people perceived is exactly because of government doing something ... starting with Hillary are.  If either party wanted to lower healthcare costs they would get out of the way of the private sector and congress would pass tort reform.  Tort reform would go a long way in lowering healthcare costs in this country.  The government can't fix what the problem is since the problem is themselves and their meddling. 

K think Rick Perry was right about congress.. They should work a couple of months a year and then have to go home and live among their constituents the remainder of the year.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:51:39 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
This will be the equivalent of tea party people at town halls but the GOP will mess it up. They will try to stick in Joe leftist moderate.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?