Author Topic: The Void Ted Cruz Fills  (Read 1936 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Void Ted Cruz Fills
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:25 pm »
 February 20, 2014 12:00 AM
The Void Ted Cruz Fills

Someone must communicate GOP ideas, and party leadership can't be bothered.

By Thomas Sowell

Senator Ted Cruz is a hero in some Republican circles — and the opposite among many of his Senate Republican colleagues.

At this crucial juncture in the history of America, internal battles within the only party that can turn things around are the last thing Americans need. Moreover, each side in this political civil war has all too many valid criticisms of the other.

The Republican establishment’s criticisms of Senator Cruz are criticisms of his rule-or-ruin strategy, which can destroy whatever chance Republicans have of taking back the Senate in 2014 and the White House in 2016. And, without political power, there is no real hope of changing things in Washington.

Senator Cruz’s filibuster last year got the Republicans blamed for shutting down the government — and his threatened filibuster this year forced several Republican Senators to jeopardize their own reelection prospects by voting to impose cloture to prevent Cruz from repeating his self-serving grandstand play of last year. The Republicans need every vote they can get in the Senate — plus additional votes by defeating some Democrats who are running for the Senate this fall. It can be a very close call. Jeopardizing the reelection of current Republican senators is an act of utter irresponsibility, a high risk with zero benefits to anyone except Ted Cruz — and the Democrats.

However unjustified Senator Cruz’s actions, the very fact that a freshman Senator can so quickly gain so many supporters with so much enthusiasm ought to be a loud warning to the Republican establishment that they have long been a huge disappointment to a wide range of Republican voters and supporters.

One of the most maddening qualities of establishment Republicans has for decades been their can’t-be-bothered attitude when it comes to explaining their positions to the American people in language people can understand. A classic example was Speaker of the House John Boehner’s performance when he emerged from a meeting at the White House a while back. There, with masses of television news cameras pointed at him and a bank of microphones crowded together, he simply expressed his disgust at the Obama administration, turned, and walked on away.

Here was a golden opportunity to cut through the Obama-administration rhetoric and set the record straight on the issues at hand. But apparently Speaker Boehner couldn’t be bothered to have a prepared and previously thought-out statement to present, conveying something more than his disgust.

Unfortunately, Speaker Boehner is just the latest in a long line of Republican “leaders” with the same disregard of the need to explain their position in plain English.

That takes work. But it is work that any number of conservative commentators on radio and television do every day of the week. And they are very successful in getting across arguments that Republican politicians do not bother to try to get across.

Democrats are constantly articulating their talking points. Less than 24 hours elapsed after the Congressional Budget Office reported that Obamacare was likely to cause many workers to have their hours cut back before Democrats were all talking about the “freedom” this would give workers to pursue other interests, rather than being “locked-in” to long hours on a full-time job.

It was a slick and dishonest argument, but the point here is that Democrats immediately saw the need for articulation — and for all of them to use the same words and phrases — so as to establish their argument by sheer repetition.

Nor was this the first time that Democrats coordinated their words and phrases. A few years ago, Senator Chuck Schumer was secretly recorded giving fellow Democrats the word to use whenever describing Republicans — namely, “extreme.”

When George W. Bush first ran for president in 2000, the word among Democrats was that he lacked “gravitas.” People who had never used that word in years were suddenly saying “gravitas” 24/7.

The Republican establishment has more than a tactical deficiency, however. They seem to have no principle that they offer or follow with any consistency. Their lack of articulation may be just a reflection of that lack of principle. It is hard to get to the point when you have no point to get to.

Ted Cruz filled a void, but the Republican establishment created the void.

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/371501/print
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: The Void Ted Cruz Fills
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
He says what many of us have been trying to say with ease and clarity!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »
Senator Cruz’s filibuster last year got the Republicans blamed for shutting down the government — and his threatened filibuster this year forced several Republican Senators to jeopardize their own reelection prospects by voting to impose cloture to prevent Cruz from repeating his self-serving grandstand play of last year. The Republicans need every vote they can get in the Senate — plus additional votes by defeating some Democrats who are running for the Senate this fall. It can be a very close call. Jeopardizing the reelection of current Republican senators is an act of utter irresponsibility, a high risk with zero benefits to anyone except Ted Cruz — and the Democrats.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:02:44 pm »
He says what many of us have been trying to say with ease and clarity!

Yes, he does.  Thank you for posting this.

The Republican establishment has more than a tactical deficiency, however. They seem to have no principle that they offer or follow with any consistency. Their lack of articulation may be just a reflection of that lack of principle. It is hard to get to the point when you have no point to get to.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »
He says BLAMED FOR Sink! Not did! Can you distinguish the difference?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
So it seems that Constitutional Republic known as the United States of America is going down in ruins because one of the two political parties....all by chance...currently lacks an in-your-face MODERATE leader that appeals to the MAJORITY of American voters.

IOW....a Ronald Reagan type endearing personality.

Soooooooooo......if THAT'S all it is, let's go and get one.  Because Boehner and McConnell are woefully lacking in this regard.

They're a disgrace actually.

But that's what we get when 'seniority' bears the weight it does.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:14:24 pm »

He was blamed for it because Cruz CAUSED it.    Without Cruz it never would have happened.

You're just flat wrong on this Bigun, but you'll never admit it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:25:49 pm »
The run-up to November will be exhausting. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »

A master of understatement emerges!!

:beer:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »

I dread it... 8888crybaby
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »
Not me!!

I wanna kick some A$$!     :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:53 pm »
A master of understatement emerges!!

John Steinbeck

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
Whatever anyone thinks of Cruz, whether he is looking out for himself, or for the country, he is saying and doing what most of us are thinking. He is forcing the republicans' hands, something they are reluctant to do on their own. They need someone to get them moving, rather than relying on seniority or the status quo get them by. It won't work this time, because people are fed up.

If the GOP did their jobs, Obamacare would be a thing of the past. Remember Boehner saying he would get rid of it, then a couple months later, said ACA was the law of the land?

People are asking, and some are demanding the who, what, when, where, and whys, and we don't get that from our leaders. We either get end results or sound bites. That is now how you lead a country.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »
The Void Ted Cruz Fills

Can be found in the GOP's empty cup protector.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
Not me!!

:amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:54 pm »
Not me!!

I was talking about here.....maybe I will kick some ass here too!....hehehe
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:19 pm »

Be my guest!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:09 pm »

LOL!   Wish I could say...."So was I."   :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 08:18:43 pm »
But he was warned that by doing what he did, the GOP would be blamed, and they were.

So how is that a good outcome? And how does that justify him harming his party's prospects?

Many rational people think Cruz risked predictable harm to his party, got no results.

Perception is reality in most areas of life.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 08:41:35 pm »
But he was warned that by doing what he did, the GOP would be blamed, and they were.

So how is that a good outcome? And how does that justify him harming his party's prospects?

Many rational people think Cruz risked predictable harm to his party, got no results.

Come on....only we give a hoot about what effect Cruz' filibuster had on the shutdown. 

And actually, if Biden is correct and "between now and November is three political lifetimes", then what "damage"?

Boehner acknowledging responsibility on the Tonite Show with Leno did more harm, because that's what blankets Facebook timelines.

And let's face it....there's a Democrat commercial contained therein, somewhere.  [/s]

As I said, he certainly fills a void.

Somebody SHOULD let you know when your house is on fire.  The real question is, "why only him"?

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »

He wasn't warned so much as he was threatened. The democrat also had the media to sponsor them. So, should we sit on our asses and allow the government leeway to do things that are the antithesis of our beliefs? Or should we as one, or two, or two million bring our gripes to the forefront? If that is the case, Myst and Rep, might as well close down this site, along with other conservative sites, since we are expected to defend and stand by the status quo. The GOP ignores us, and has for some time. I'm not in it for the lesser of two evils. I want real change, and if we lose a battle or two, but win the war, then that's how it should be.

Offline Olivia

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »

The media, like good little soldiers, blamed Ted Cruz for the shut-down.  Everyone conveniently forgot about Obama saying he wouldn't "give an inch" so what's a guy to do?
Was Cruz supposed to ignore what he knew was right and go along to get along?

I think Obama was responsible for the shut-down but he has the media on his side to tell you differently, and like gullible little soldiers, a large portion of Americans went along with the president like he knew they would.   
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »

I will never forget the shock and depression the night of the elections on here. It was like a nightmare, I was waiting for someone to say SIKE! And they didn't.

Then in real life hit me personally because of Obama's policies.

I wonder if the people that did not have to to play musical chairs moving around the United States for jobs quite get how bad it is.
It is unfathomable to me that Hillary is said to win Ohio. Are they loving the depression?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 09:17:06 pm »
I was talking about here.....

So was I.    **nononono*
John Steinbeck

Offline happyg

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:45 pm »
I will never forget the shock and depression the night of the elections on here. It was like a nightmare, I was waiting for someone to say SIKE! And they didn't.

Then in real life hit me personally because of Obama's policies.

I wonder if the people that did not have to to play musical chairs moving around the United States for jobs quite get how bad it is.
It is unfathomable to me that Hillary is said to win Ohio. Are they loving the depression?

Had not the cheating gone on in Ohio, Romney would have taken it. Besides, Obama got the inner city votes, which are hard to overcome when most blacks and their dead relatives vote. As for Hillary, I can't picture it, either. Not enough blacks will come out and vote for her.