Author Topic: Sarah Palin Endorses Katrina Pierson  (Read 2016 times)

Offline happyg

Sarah Palin Endorses Katrina Pierson
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »
by Tony Lee and Brandon Darby

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed fierce Texas conservative Katrina Pierson in her underdog bid to primary incumbent Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) in Texas's 32nd congressional district. Palin called Pierson a "feisty fighter" who is "an emerging leader and important voice for the future of the grassroots conservative movement."

"Her life’s story is full of hardships she has fought to overcome, which taught her firsthand the importance of self-reliance, hard work, and the blessings of liberty," Palin said. "A feisty fighter for freedom, Katrina is taking on a powerful incumbent who has so lost touch with the people of his district that he’s not even bothering to spend much time in Texas anymore.” Indeed, Pierson is a single mother who overcame tremendous adversity and bettered her life. She worked her way from poverty into becoming a healthcare administrator at a Level 1 trauma hospital in downtown Dallas.

Palin, whose endorsement former South Carolina Senator and Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint said had the most impact in GOP primaries, also mentioned that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called Pierson “an utterly fearless principled conservative.” Pierson traveled across the state for Cruz to get him elected, even when Cruz was at 2% in the polls in his GOP Texas Senate primary in 2012. At least year's CPAC, Cruz also said he would not be in the U.S. Senate were it not for Palin.

Pierson told Breitbart Texas that she was honored to have Palin's first endorsement of the 2014 cycle.

"I am honored and humbled to receive the endorsement of Governor Sarah Palin, to have the team I have, and the fact that Governor Palin heard our calls for battle against the entrenched establishment," Pierson said before saying Palin's endorsement "highlights the importance of Texas in the battle against big government.”

"The national Left has chosen to focus on Texas in their efforts to turn our great state blue. We, as Republicans need to hold our leadership accountable and elect fighters who are up for the struggle— not complacent politicians," Pierson said. "I will work day and night against the unconstitutional efforts of the Democratic Party and their friends in the Republican Party."

Pierson has attacked Sessions for living part of the time in Florida, and Palin agreed that Sessions is "not only his district he’s lost touch with," but also with the "the issues important to the voters there."

"He used his powerful position to oppose the movement to defund Obamacare, has voted to raise the debt ceiling, and has been an advocate for the NSA intrusion into our freedoms," Palin said. "When asked about Katrina’s primary challenge, he said, 'these things happen.' Yes, they do. We all know what happens when we come together to support a good candidate like Katrina – the permanent political class loses and We the People win!"

Pierson has also attacked Sessions for voting to increase raise the debt ceiling, being in favor of amnesty and supporting the Wall Street bailouts. Cruz's father, Rafael, Michelle Malkin, and the Tea Party Express have also endorsed Pierson's upstart candidacy.

"We win by electing a fighter we can depend on like Katrina Pierson," Palin said of the grassroots' fight against the permanent political class in D.C. and Texas.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/02/19/Sarah-Palin-Endorses-Texas-Katrina-Pierson

Offline sinkspur

Re: Sarah Palin Endorses Katrina Pierson
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »
"Her life’s story is full of hardships she has fought to overcome, which taught her firsthand the importance of self-reliance, hard work, and the blessings of liberty," Palin said. "A feisty fighter for freedom, Katrina is taking on a powerful incumbent who has so lost touch with the people of his district that he’s not even bothering to spend much time in Texas anymore.” Indeed, Pierson is a single mother who overcame tremendous adversity and bettered her life. She worked her way from poverty into becoming a healthcare administrator at a Level 1 trauma hospital in downtown Dallas.

Good grief.  Is her only qualification for office her single motherhood?  Like Wendy Davis, did she live in a trailer too?

This woman is not going to come anywhere close to beating Pete Sessions.  She has no legislative experience of any kind, and is counting on her race and her gender to appeal to voters.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »
I don't know her, but I don't consider a person's race or gender when deciding whether to vote for them. It's the Constitution that matters. If the candidate revers the Constitution and promises fidelity to it, truthfully, that's all that matters. Period.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »
 goopo

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »
I don't know her, but I don't consider a person's race or gender when deciding whether to vote for them. It's the Constitution that matters. If the candidate revers the Constitution and promises fidelity to it, truthfully, that's all that matters. Period.

Well, then, why not stay with Sessions?  He upholds the Constitution and has a decade of service in the Congress.  He has an ACU rating of 92, yet the hair-on-fire TPers want to get rid of him.

Makes no sense. 

Ain't gonna happen anyway.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »
ACU (as well as other similar ratings) are based on voting record, which on the surface can appear to be a sensible and reasonable method.  The problem inherent in them is that the substance of the votes is hidden within the aggregate total score.  There are often countless votes recorded on Bills that are destined to be dead as soon as the vote is tallied (e.g., the 30+ House votes to "repeal 0bamacare") and one's ACU rating is certainly buoyed by repeatedly voted "for" a meaningless piece of symbolism.  On the other hand, a single vote or two in the wrong direction can have devastating effects on the nation but often barely cause a downward tick in an ACU rating.  Additionally we all know the process of taking turns at being able to vote the "conservative" or Republican position on votes that are already decided well in advance.  Again pumping up ACU ratings but providing nothing of substance to the overall cause.

So, while they can often provide a reasonable starting point in evaluating a candidate, they certainly should never be used as a reason to throw one's total support for or against a particular politician.  JMO.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:48 pm »
ACU (as well as other similar ratings) are based on voting record, which on the surface can appear to be a sensible and reasonable method.  The problem inherent in them is that the substance of the votes is hidden within the aggregate total score.  There are often countless votes recorded on Bills that are destined to be dead as soon as the vote is tallied (e.g., the 30+ House votes to "repeal 0bamacare") and one's ACU rating is certainly buoyed by repeatedly voted "for" a meaningless piece of symbolism.  On the other hand, a single vote or two in the wrong direction can have devastating effects on the nation but often barely cause a downward tick in an ACU rating.  Additionally we all know the process of taking turns at being able to vote the "conservative" or Republican position on votes that are already decided well in advance.  Again pumping up ACU ratings but providing nothing of substance to the overall cause.

So, while they can often provide a reasonable starting point in evaluating a candidate, they certainly should never be used as a reason to throw one's total support for or against a particular politician.  JMO.

So, if they support your candidate, use the ACU ratings.  If they don't, don't.

Sounds like Obama's approach to the CBO report on the minimum wage.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »

Do you believe that my post suggested something like that??  Sounds like a pretty poor approach to me. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:58:06 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:27 pm »

Sounds like Obama's approach to the CBO report on the minimum wage.

That's not what I got from katz' post. Post made perfect sense; a logically stated argument.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:44 pm »

If you look at the methodology for ACU ratings, you will learn it is based on specific items of legislation, NOT everything piece of legislation.

And it is a means of comparing one representative to another, using the same consistent method, even though the method is not perfect.

So absent a better means, these types of ratings are the best thing available.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »
If you look at the methodology for ACU ratings, you will learn it is based on specific items of legislation, NOT everything piece of legislation.

And it is a means of comparing one representative to another, using the same consistent method, even though the method is not perfect.

So absent a better means, these types of ratings are the best thing available.

Yes, the ACU system actually does appear to be one in which they use a selective sampling of votes in each chamber, it was my mistake to lump them in with the other comprehensive ratings, pardon me.

(By the way, I remember when I was looking for a precise description of their methodology awhile back I was surprised to not find one readily available, even within their website -- do you have a link handy that describes it??  TIA)

It seems to vary over time as to how the selective lists are developed for each year/session/chamber.  For example, I was able to find the Senate methodology for 2012:

The Club for Growth identified 30 votes related to taxes, government spending, and free trade, each weighted for importance. The votes with the highest weights included a bill involving replacing the food stamp program, eliminating sugar import quotas, a farm bill, the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts extensions, and a Russian free trade bill.

The ACU identified 25 bills, all equally weighted, that they considered hallmarks of conservative voting. These included referendums on earmarks, religious freedom, energy subsidies, defense spending, the United Nations and tax cuts.

The National Journal analyzed 251 "meaningful" votes that identified ideological distinctions. After splitting these into social, economic and foreign issues, they developed a score for each member's liberal and conservative cred.

We averaged the final 2012 scores from each rating to get the aggregate score.

described in a news article here.

Now if you look at the other side of the coin, this other article presents a description of the bill selection that is less than favorable. In part:

I guess if ACU wants to ignore that Mitch McConnell

• voted to keep the Essential Air Service program that conservatives annually ridicule as a waste;
  • voted to continue federal student loan subsidization at a ridiculously low rate;
  • voted for a massive highway increase;
  • voted several times in favor of parliamentary changes in the Senate that undermine conservatives' abilities to stop bad legislation;
  • voted for the debt ceiling increase;
  • voted to keep market distorting energy tax credits and subsidies;
  • voted to let a $41 billion bailout of the post office go to the floor of the Senate; and
  • voted for a host of temporary spending measures designed to kick the can down the road to no end
then I guess you might could possibly consider Mitch McConnell more of a conservative than either Jim DeMint or even Tom Coburn.But you have to ignore all the ways Mitch McConnell collaborated with Harry Reid to change Senate parliamentary procedure to work against conservatives; ignore a significant portion of fiscal bills in the Senate; and ignore a host of bills designed to keep subsidizing failing enterprises with tax dollars.

Of course, like anything, one can choose to either accept or reject these ratings like any other depending on how you view the methodology used.  While they do avoid some of the perils of the comprehensive systems, the subjective (by its nature) selectivity is fraught for shaping the results.

That is why my original point is that they are useful as a starting point, but I (personally) wouldn't hang my hat on them for either supporting or rejecting a candidate.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:37 am »
[[ I don't know her, but I don't consider a person's race or gender when deciding whether to vote for them. ]]

I -used to- think that way, too. Even backed it up with my vote. I twice voted for Gary Franks (a black) for U.S. Representative here. The despicable treatment Clarence Thomas received during his confirmation process was one of the deciding factors in my "conservative conversion".

But I don't think that way no mo'.
I'm no longer "color blind", no longer gender-blind.

It's gonna take a LOT of convincin' to get me to vote for a black candidate again, even so-called "conservative" ones.

And for the most part, I don't trust women to be [literally] "hard-minded" enough to make sound conservative political decisions.
There ARE exceptions. That gal from Alaska could be one. And who can deny what Mrs. Thatcher did for England?

You can call me racis' if you wish. I will not respond.
These days, it's as much about "realism" as it is about race...or gender.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:46:54 am by Fishrrman »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:51 am »
[[ I don't know her, but I don't consider a person's race or gender when deciding whether to vote for them. ]]

I -used to- think that way, too. Even backed it up with my vote. I twice voted for Gary Franks (a black) for U.S. Representative here. The despicable treatment Clarence Thomas received during his confirmation process was one of the deciding factors in my "conservative conversion".

But I don't think that way no mo'.
I'm no longer "color blind", no longer gender-blind.

It's gonna take a LOT of convincin' to get me to vote for a black candidate again, even so-called "conservative" ones.

And for the most part, I don't trust women to be [literally] "hard-minded" enough to make sound conservative political decisions.
There ARE exceptions. That gal from Alaska could be one. And who can deny what Mrs. Thatcher did for England?

You can call me racis' if you wish. I will not respond.
These days, it's as much about "realism" as it is about race...or gender.

So no blacks and no women?

Are you proud of that?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:15 am »
Too much of this sort of thing, Bigun.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 02:55:19 am »
Too much of this sort of thing, Bigun.

The sad part is that there is no requirement that he live in the district in order to represent that district in congress but the fact that he has repeatedly made the claim that he does puts him in REAL jeopardy if he's lying!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien