Author Topic: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz  (Read 5044 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2014, 03:58:42 am »
I hope so, because his future in the Senate, in terms of being an agent of change, is basically nil at this point.   Neither the Dems nor any of the other GOP senators can ever trust the guy again.  It's probably best if he does run for President.  It's what flame-throwing opportunists like Cruz do best.

Hate to burst your idea of reality, but we're only one event away from a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

I want a flame-throwing opportunist....if that's the vessel in which to get our message out there.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 04:05:02 am »
Hate to burst your idea of reality, but we're only one event away from a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

I want a flame-throwing opportunist....if that's the vessel in which to get our message out there.
:thumbsup2:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 04:09:26 am »
He may be abrasive.  But he's already been proven correct regarding the pitfalls and expense of Obamacare.  It's how leaders are born, Sink.  It's how respect is earned....whether it's the Senate or an internet forum.

That 'disastrous'  filibuster speech is going to catapult him right into the White House.  That's his strategy.  So what?

To call those motives phony and suspect is ridiculous.

All he has to do continue to correctly prognosticate.  And with this bunch, it's like picking money off the floor.  Sooner or later even the LIV is going to know it's time to run away from Communism.

Cultural icon Howard Stern used the word Communists today.   All it takes is one........

I love you like a brother, DC, but you couldn't be more wrong about Ted Cruz.  "Green Eggs and Ham" is not going to catapult anybody into the White House.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2014, 04:24:57 am »
I love you like a brother, DC, but you couldn't be more wrong about Ted Cruz.  "Green Eggs and Ham" is not going to catapult anybody into the White House.

Thanks, buddy!   I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see anybody else stepping up and publicly crying "foul"....and that bugs the hell out of me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 07:15:33 am »
Thanks, buddy!   I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see anybody else stepping up and publicly crying "foul"....and that bugs the hell out of me.

Plenty of others are standing up and crying "foul." 

They aren't begging for the media spotlight as a "maverick," though. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:10 am »
If Ted Cruz ends up as more than a footnote in presidential history, I will literally eat a Tea Party hat.  As it is, he already has made more of an impact on another footnote in history, Sarah Palin. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2014, 08:36:14 am »
I liken Ted Cruz to Paul Revere.  Where would my ancestors be today were it not for people like Revere to sound the warning.  Cruz is trying to wake people up and some are determined to slumber along withthe same-ole same-ole rather than consider it is time for new leadership..... if McConnell was CEO of a major company he would have already received a golden handshake - Boehner, too.

Sen Cruz has not woken anyone up.  Do you think the 25% of America that agrees with him are new converts?  He is telling them what they want to hear.  That somehow an ideologically pure, fight for the sake of fighting, GOP will so enthrall the masses that they will wake from their booze, drugs, and television that they will vote GOP?  At the same time he is pushing away voters and pushing our minority party away from a majority.  That is the wrong direction to be leading.

Sen Cruz thought the American people would rise up and demand an end to Obamacare when he shutdown the government.  The proof that he is responsible can be heard in the call for clarification of the end game by Charles Krauthammer on the Laura Ingraham show on Oct 10th.

Krauthammer says "These are the generals (Lee and Cruz) who lead people into the Battle of [the] Little Bighorn and then go home and have lunch and leave the troops out there? Where are they? Where are the generals? What’s their strategy to get abolition of Obamacare?”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZjtKiZhcc

This was Cruz's strategy.  Force Obama to sign a CR that doesn't fund Obamacare.  Knowing he wouldn't.  We all knew he wouldn't because he told us that many times.   The SCF announced in bold letters the battle would begin on Oct 1st when they put up their silly website showing how few Republicans were with Cruz and Lee.  Cruz argued it had to be Oct 1 because it was the last chance to keep Obamacare from becoming a fixture of the American economy.  We all knew it wouldn't work...even Cruz knew it wouldn't work on Aug 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlx99nSWdg#t=127
In an interview with the Heritage Foundation Cruz says they don't have the votes to pass it in the House or Senate.  He says it's because GOP representatives feared they would be blamed for a shutdown.  Looks like they were right, but all the conservatives on all the blogs, and discussion groups said finally someone was speaking for conservative values and protecting our liberty and constitutional freedoms.  Most of the representatives who won reelection once said this is a bad idea.

But on Oct 1 Boehner and McConnell let Cruz take charge and he lead us down the tubes with 75% of the public.  He didn't win over squat.  He's just lucky more people don't know it was him.  They blame the GOP for listening to him.  He is hated by the rats, distrusted by his colleagues, and becoming less favored by conservatives like Thomas Sowell, Ann Coulter, and Grover Norquist.

Cruz thought there would be protests and marches to back him up.  16 days later he had no strategy but wait it out.  Are you kidding me?

Cruz wanted to lead the people before they were ready to go there, and the GOP should never let him lead again.  I liken Ted Cruz to the senator from my state of WI Senator Joseph McCarthy.  History proved he was correct about soviet infiltration but you can't deny the damage to his cause.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:56:41 am by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
In 1976 George Will wrote a scathing editorial denouncing a primary challenger to then sitting president, Gerald Ford. He wasn't the only one. It seemed everyone in the Republican Party from those in media to those in leadership piled on this challenger. The Challenger lost his bid for the nomination. Gerald Ford, however, lost to Jimmy Carter that year.

In 1980 the Challenger ran for president again. It was his third attempt. Again George Will and nearly everyone in the media, the Establishment, and the Republican party attacked this man mercilessly. Called him everything imaginable from extreme and dangerous, to unintellectual and just plain stupid.

This time he won the nomination.  Republican leaders hated Ronald Reagan in the beginning because he was threatening the balance of power. Just like Ted Cruz is threatening the balance of power now. And elitist don't like it. Thank God we don't have elitists posting here at TBR.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
Will and Krauthammer are nothing more than puppets of the GOP-E.  Their jobs are to toss enough red meat to excite the unwashed but at the end of the day get back to dine on grilled quail and arugala.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 12:33:13 pm »
Will and Krauthammer are nothing more than puppets of the GOP-E.  Their jobs are to toss enough red meat to excite the unwashed but at the end of the day get back to dine on grilled quail and arugala.
Damn glad they're on my team.  They are both brilliant, as is Sowell.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:33:36 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »
Was George Will brilliant in 1976 or 1980 when he, along with the rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan?

I suppose he could plead temporary insanity since he's written many an editorial since then praising Ronald Reagan's brilliant leadership.

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »
Was George Will brilliant in 1976 or 1980 when he, along with the rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan?

I suppose he could plead temporary insanity since he's written many an editorial since then praising Ronald Reagan's brilliant leadership.

I don't know aligncare.  I didn't read it.  do you have a link?

Eric Hoffer — 'Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.'

Offline aligncare

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 02:34:35 pm »
I don't know aligncare.  I didn't read it.  do you have a link?

Eric Hoffer — 'Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.'

I don't have a link to the citation (it was actually written in 1974 just before Reagan announced his candidacy and after Reagan had formed the group Americans for the Republic).  Will's editorial can be purchased at the Washington Post. November 12, 1974, titled: Ronald Reagan, the GOP and '76.

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 03:15:24 pm »
I don't have a link to the citation (it was actually written in 1974 just before Reagan announced his candidacy and after Reagan had formed the group Americans for the Republic).  Will's editorial can be purchased at the Washington Post. November 12, 1974, titled: Ronald Reagan, the GOP and '76.

You make a very sharp accusation about Will with nothing to back it up.  So not conceding that Will was insane, and not having read nor any interest in paying money to the WaPo, I may never know what Will wrote in 1976.  Maybe you want to purchase it read it again and see if your recollection from 1976 is accurate and post it here.  But by your meager description I'll suggest maybe he had some reason for not liking Reagan at first but was impressed with how he handled himself as President.

I have no clue "what rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan."  Who are you referring to?  What are referring to?  Give me something specific to work with here.

The GOP establishment wasn't wrong about Reagan in 1976.  He couldn't attract enough voters in the primaries.  The GOPe didn't think he could and they were right. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 03:29:40 pm »
Fortunately, Mark Levin has a couple of researchers who pulled dozens of citations. Levin read a number of quotes from establishment Republicans last night, from speaker of the house in 1976 to Nelson Rockefeller to various and sundry congressional Republicans, all of them trashing Reagan. If you go to Mark Levin show.com you can listen to the first 15 minutes of his show on podcast. It's all there and it's free.

The attacks on Reagan coming from republican leaders in 1976 and 1980 are well documented. Do you really need to challenge that fact to make your point about Cruz?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »
Sen Cruz has not woken anyone up.  Do you think the 25% of America that agrees with him are new converts?  He is telling them what they want to hear.  That somehow an ideologically pure, fight for the sake of fighting, GOP will so enthrall the masses that they will wake from their booze, drugs, and television that they will vote GOP?  At the same time he is pushing away voters and pushing our minority party away from a majority.  That is the wrong direction to be leading.

Sen Cruz thought the American people would rise up and demand an end to Obamacare when he shutdown the government.  The proof that he is responsible can be heard in the call for clarification of the end game by Charles Krauthammer on the Laura Ingraham show on Oct 10th.

Krauthammer says "These are the generals (Lee and Cruz) who lead people into the Battle of [the] Little Bighorn and then go home and have lunch and leave the troops out there? Where are they? Where are the generals? What’s their strategy to get abolition of Obamacare?”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZjtKiZhcc

This was Cruz's strategy.  Force Obama to sign a CR that doesn't fund Obamacare.  Knowing he wouldn't.  We all knew he wouldn't because he told us that many times.   The SCF announced in bold letters the battle would begin on Oct 1st when they put up their silly website showing how few Republicans were with Cruz and Lee.  Cruz argued it had to be Oct 1 because it was the last chance to keep Obamacare from becoming a fixture of the American economy.  We all knew it wouldn't work...even Cruz knew it wouldn't work on Aug 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIlx99nSWdg#t=127
In an interview with the Heritage Foundation Cruz says they don't have the votes to pass it in the House or Senate.  He says it's because GOP representatives feared they would be blamed for a shutdown.  Looks like they were right, but all the conservatives on all the blogs, and discussion groups said finally someone was speaking for conservative values and protecting our liberty and constitutional freedoms.  Most of the representatives who won reelection once said this is a bad idea.

But on Oct 1 Boehner and McConnell let Cruz take charge and he lead us down the tubes with 75% of the public.  He didn't win over squat.  He's just lucky more people don't know it was him.  They blame the GOP for listening to him.  He is hated by the rats, distrusted by his colleagues, and becoming less favored by conservatives like Thomas Sowell, Ann Coulter, and Grover Norquist.

Cruz thought there would be protests and marches to back him up.  16 days later he had no strategy but wait it out.  Are you kidding me?

Cruz wanted to lead the people before they were ready to go there, and the GOP should never let him lead again.  I liken Ted Cruz to the senator from my state of WI Senator Joseph McCarthy.  History proved he was correct about soviet infiltration but you can't deny the damage to his cause.

Very good summary.  Perhaps America will be ready for Cruz's approach in a few years.  It's clear he's recruiting few advocates now.  The good news is the opportunities for him to lead the GOP to the brink are almost nil now that the budget and the debt ceiling are off the table.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »
Fortunately, Mark Levin has a couple of researchers who pulled dozens of citations. Levin read a number of quotes from establishment Republicans last night, from speaker of the house in 1976 to Nelson Rockefeller to various and sundry congressional Republicans, all of them trashing Reagan. If you go to Mark Levin show.com you can listen to the first 15 minutes of his show on podcast. It's all there and it's free.

The attacks on Reagan coming from republican leaders in 1976 and 1980 are well documented. Do you really need to challenge that fact to make your point about Cruz?

It's a false equivalency to compare Cruz to Reagan.  Ronald Reagan had a well-developed, well-articulated vision, even in 1976.  Cruz has confrontation and bluster. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »
November 3, 1984 - The Nation

Smiling racism

by Roger Wilkins

Southern politicians used to promise their redneck constituents that they would “keep the n*****s in their place,” and when elected, they proceeded to do just that. It has been reported that after losing an early election to just such a politician, George Wallace vowed never to be “outn*****ed” again. Well, it is clear that Ronald Reagan is not going to be “outcolored.”

May 24, 1986 - The Nation

The evil of banality. (George Shultz, U.S. bombing of Libya )

by Alex Cockburn

It is curious that George Shultz, whose pin-striped person conveys the very essence of dour banality, should have turned out to be the most rabid, indeed demented, of the entire Reagan gang.

June 14, 1986 - The Nation

Minority report. (Vietnam War, Watergate)

by Christopher Hitchens

Ronald Wilson Reagan knows a thousand ways of being sentimental, hypocritical and cheap.

September 28, 1985 - The Nation

Minority report

by Christopher Hitchens

Over the past few weeks, while the President has been making an idiot of himself yet again on the issue, the Botha lobby has been fighting back. It has been meeting in the White House itself, in the office of Patrick Buchanan. Buchanan, who tried unsuccessfully to become Ambassador to South Africa after the collapse of his boss Richard Nixon, has been hosting and mobilizing the ultraright and making war on Republican waverers. Attenders of his meetings were drawn from the Heritage Foundation, the Conservative Caucus and the usual bunch of big-mouth, God-bothering fund-raisers.

February 22, 1987 - Chicago Sun Times

A dinner party for Reagan bashers

by Andy Rooney

Reagan bashers know no middle ground. They don’t give an inch. Anything wrong with the world is President Reagan’s fault. Anything good that happens in his administration is luck.

“What an idiot!” is their idea of how to start a conversation about politics.

They don’t have a conciliatory bone in their bodies. They feed the birds all winter, cry during sad movies and hold the door open for elderly people, but they wouldn’t give Reagan the time of day if they owned the Timex watch company.

One recent Saturday night I was at a dinner party with nine other people, including the anonymous aforementioned, who didn’t make the bed until half an hour before we went out.

At dinner, the knockers brought the conversation around to the Iran arms sale.

“They say there are millions of dollars missing and no one knows where it went,” one guest said.

“Ha!” said the anti-Reagan person in the green dress. “I bet I know where it went. Have you seen all the new clothes Nancy’s been wearing?”

“Yeah,” said the president hater on her right. “They’re probably setting aside a little nestegg for that dog she’s always dragging around.”

“It’s a good thing we’ve got a Constitution,” someone piped up, “or this guy would declare himself king.”

These people took more pleasure out of hating the president that Saturday night than from their dinner. They often put forth their most creative work devising ways to dislike him.

“I think he’s out of his mind,” one of them said. “I really do.”

“It’s Alzheimer’s. They ought to rename the disease after him.”

“That’s what I want to be when I get old and feeble-minded,” my former boss said, “president.”

“His idea of serious reading is the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated,” my constant companion complained.

“Yeah. He likes to count the pieces in the two-piece bathing suits. That’s as high as he can go.”

Every once in a while I made an attempt to come in with something laudatory.

“You have to admit,” I said, trying to stem the flow of criticism, “that the economy’s been good.”

“Carter did that,” someone said. “Reagan’s benefitting from the things Carter did.”

June 13, 1986 - Albany Times Union

Vet held in threat to ‘senile’ Reagan

by Joe Mahoney

After viewing President Reagan’s news conference on television Wednesday night, a disabled veteran phoned Albany police from a tavern, denounced Reagan as “senile” and threatened to assassinate him, authorities said Thursday.

February 3, 1987 - Chicago Sun Times

Reagan Jokes no laughing matter

by Janes Gerstenzang

But for Reagan, the current round of jokes represents a problem that is potentially no laughing matter. In response to the Iran-contras scandal, Reagan has declared he did not know all that was being done.

That explanation has laid the president open to a kind of lampooning that stirs genuine concern among his supporters because it threatens to erode his ability to govern at a time when Reagan can ill afford such damage. The new crop of jokes raises questions about whether the president is in charge of the nation’s government - or is capable of being in charge - especially in the sensitive realm of national security.

What worries some Republican advisers, said one former Reagan aide who has maintained his ties to the White House, is the possibility, reflected in the satire, that “the president now is being viewed as an amiable old man rather than as a broad-stroke president.”

“If that type of thing becomes very broad-based, that could hurt,” said Richard B. Wirthlin, a Republican pollster who regularly samples the president’s popularity and works closely with the White House.

“Clearly the president is more vulnerable to being the butt of jokes now than he was three or four months ago,” he said.

“It’s important for him to be supported by the grass roots,” said Wirthlin. “There are going to be battles with Congress and he has a better chance of winning these battles if he has that support.”

March 2, 1987 -The Boston Globe

The buck stops with her

by Mike Barnicle

Maybe you noticed that since the whole Iran mess began, Mrs. Reagan’s husband has shown the command decision instincts of a glazed donut. He sat there like a stone for months, acting like someone whose IQ equals the mean temperature of St. Petersburg, Fla., as the entire government came crashing down around his Day-glo orange hair and wax-filled ears.

March 5, 1987 -The Boston Globe

His favorite setting- in front of the cameras

by Jack Thomas

It was the president’s favorite setting — he, himself, alone with a television camera, talking directly to the American people without intrusions by aggressive reporters asking insinuating questions that sometimes confuse him.

For the rest of us, it was a 12-minute episode in what has become the familiar experience of television playing a critical role in the course of the presidency and the nation.

Having heard the president’s awkward words upon release of the Tower Commission report, and having read the columnists who have been making fun of his forgetfulness, and having seen the clips of Nancy Reagan whispering to him when he could not answer simple questions, and having been warned that she may be playing a larger role in governing the nation than perhaps the Constitution intended for the wife of a president, the American people were watching carefully last night for what conservative columnist Ben Wattenberg called “Senile-gate.”

“He has to demonstrate he has all his marbles,” said Wattenberg.

October 25, 1986 - The Nation

Reykjavik and the war economy

by Alexander Cockburn

So much for Reagan’s place in history. It’s been an axiom of those holding a kindly or evolutionary view of the President’s political consciousness that in the end a sense of responsibility to children as yet unborn and history books as yet unwritten would incline him to strike a deal with the Soviet Union on arms control. Along the road to Reykjavik almost all the pundits, editorialists and “news analysts’ had taken the same line: the President was accessible to reason. They were wrong, and those who held the steady-state view of Reagan’s political consciousness—that it was, is and always will be a shriveled affair—were right. The President did the wrong thing as he always will.

October 9, 1987 - Washington Post

`The Civil Rights Thing’

by Richard Cohen

And yet both Reagan and Bork have opposed civil rights legislation. Initially, Reagan opposed every recent civil rights act. As for Bork, he not only criticized a court decision striking down the poll tax, he also found fault with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which barred discrimination in hotels, motels, restaurants and public restrooms. Bork, the intellectual, anguished over the rights of proprietors. Reagan, no intellectual, nevertheless struck the same note: even bigots “have certain constitutional rights.” Not since John Steinbeck teamed George with Lenny have two such intellectually disparate people found such common cause.

Media Research Center has a list of more attacks on Ronald Reagan here going all the way into the early 90’s. Perhaps what liberals are missing here is that Reagan, unlike President Obama, was not thin-skinned or defensive about what critics said about him…at least not publicly; however, he knew which newspaper editorial pages counted and which ones did not. Pat Buchanan, who served as President Reagan’s communications director, put it this way: (H/T Human Events):

Frankly, Reagan was more concerned about what you guys said at HUMAN EVENTS and what they said in the Washington Times, than what they said in the New York Times.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/jan/28/we-remember-what-liberals-said-and-what-they-reall/#ixzz2u4FcfSBA
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »
November 3, 1984 - The Nation

Smiling racism

by Roger Wilkins

Why are you quoting a bunch of liberals?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:33:03 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »
It's a false equivalency to compare Cruz to Reagan.  Ronald Reagan had a well-developed, well-articulated vision, even in 1976.  Cruz has confrontation and bluster. 

I'm not comparing Cruz to Reagan. I am comparing the similar reaction of what each embody to the status quo.

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2014, 05:40:33 pm »

The fact that Levin needed two researchers proves it's not well documented, but after listening to Levin I will concede the similarities of criticism.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,130486.msg530424.html#msg530424  here is a more in depth response.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:42:00 pm by Once-Ler »