Author Topic: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz  (Read 5049 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:51 am »
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/conservative-legend-thomas-sowell-turns-on-ted-cruz/

Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz   5:14 PM 02/19/2014

A leading tea party intellectual has turned against the tea party movement’s favorite senator.

Economist Thomas Sowell, who has long been revered among conservatives, has slammed Sen. Ted Cruz in his last two columns, accusing the Texas Republican of being self-serving and comparing him to President Obama.

“Freshman Senator Ted Cruz says many things that need to be said and says them well,” Sowell wrote in his syndicated column Tuesday, before going on to compare Cruz to President Obama. “Moreover, some of these things are what many, if not most, Americans believe wholeheartedly. Yet we need to remember that the same was true of another freshman Senator, just a relatively few years ago, who parlayed his ability to say things that resonated with the voters into two terms in the White House.”

Sowell continued, suggesting Cruz is only looking out for himself.

“Senator Ted Cruz has not yet reached the point where he can make policy, rather than just make political trouble,” Sowell wrote. “But there are already disquieting signs that he is looking out for Ted Cruz — even if that sets back the causes he claims to be serving.”

Sowell seems to have been most recently irked by Cruz’s actions surrounding the Senate vote to increase the debt ceiling. Cruz threatened to filibuster, forcing several Republicans to either vote for cloture or force a fight over the debt ceiling increase. Republican leaders were seeking to avoid such a politically-risky fight and another possible government shutdown in order to focus on the failures of Obamacare heading in to the 2014 midterm elections.

“Senator Cruz’s filibuster last year got the Republicans blamed for shutting down the government — and his threatened filibuster this year forced several Republican Senators to jeopardize their own reelection prospects by voting to impose cloture, to prevent Cruz from repeating his self-serving grandstand play of last year,” Sowell wrote in his Wednesday column. “The Republicans need every vote they can get in the Senate — plus additional votes by defeating some Democrats who are running for the Senate this fall. It can be a very close call. Jeopardizing the reelection of current Republican Senators is an act of utter irresponsibility, a high risk with zero benefits to anyone except Ted Cruz — and the Democrats.”

In his Wednesday column, Sowell also lashed out against the so-called Republican establishment.

“However unjustified Senator Cruz’s actions, the very fact that a freshman Senator can so quickly gain so many supporters, with so much enthusiasm, ought to be a loud warning to the Republican establishment that they have long been a huge disappointment to a wide range of Republican voters and supporters,” he wrote.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this guys cred and posting history pass the litmus test
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:04 am »
Guess Daily Caller needs to read part II posted here earlier today.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:15 am »
"The Republicans need every vote they can get in the Senate — plus additional votes by defeating some Democrats who are running for the Senate this fall. It can be a very close call. Jeopardizing the reelection of current Republican Senators is an act of utter irresponsibility, a high risk with zero benefits to anyone except Ted Cruz — and the Democrats."

Sowell has Cruz pegged perfectly. 

But, look for him to be labeled a RINO too and smeared as a past-his-prime commentator.

Krauthammer, Will, Sowell.... the list of "traitors" grows and grows.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/conservative-legend-thomas-sowell-turns-on-ted-cruz/

“Senator Cruz’s filibuster last year got the Republicans blamed for shutting down the government — and his threatened filibuster this year forced several Republican Senators to jeopardize their own reelection prospects by voting to impose cloture, to prevent Cruz from repeating his self-serving grandstand play of last year,” Sowell wrote in his Wednesday column.

'There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fo... ... Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” - Dubya

We got your playbook Sen Cruz

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
Also from Sowell:

Cruz, R-Texas, has not yet reached the point where he can make policy, rather than just make political trouble. But there are already disquieting signs that he is looking out for Cruz – even if that sets back the causes he claims to be serving.

Those causes are not being served when Cruz undermines the election chances of the only political party that has any chance of undoing the disasters that Obama has already inflicted on the nation – and forestalling new disasters that are visible on the horizon.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:47:31 pm »
I would never call Sowell RINO. I would simply disagree and point out he's somewhat wrong on Cruz. Like any human – I'm just guessing here – Sowell may fall slightly short of perfection on this particular opinion.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »
I would never call Sowell RINO. I would simply disagree and point out he's somewhat wrong on Cruz. Like any human – I'm just guessing here – Sowell may fall slightly short of perfection on this particular opinion.

Agreed there...

It sure is an indication of the divide.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:54 pm »
I respect Dr. Sowell, totally. Enough that I won't reject anything he says out of hand.

On the one hand, Ted Cruz is pretty brash and impatient.

On the other hand, so is half of the country.

On the gripping hand, two very smart people are disagreeing.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:04:41 pm »
“However unjustified Senator Cruz’s actions, the very fact that a freshman Senator can so quickly gain so many supporters, with so much enthusiasm, ought to be a loud warning to the Republican establishment that they have long been a huge disappointment to a wide range of Republican voters and supporters,” he wrote.

This, is the other side of the story. I don't think the Republican old guard have a clue how unpopular they are. The tradition of both parties is they chose  their party whips, leaders,speaker. It is a pecking order of major ass kissing and money flowing. The,' it's HIS turn,' mantra is as old as they are. They work for us. Just because they found out that serving is a lucrative career ( with insider trading slush funds,- aside from their six-figure salaries- most could live off of AND to boot WE pay their car notes! ) does not mean- they should be allowed- to quit serving the American people. If we returned to government of this stature serving and having in real life outside jobs- without conflict of interest-

Maybe just maybe it is a start of getting the beast calmed that has become government in this role. There is also absolutely no reasoning in why the older ones don't retire. What ever happened to term limits and did they ever vote on no more insider trading that we would go to jail for if we tried?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:06:04 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 02:21:04 pm »
Yes, it would appear some folks don't understand that civil people - whether Mr. Sowell or posters here - can disagree without engaging in name-calling and hyperbole.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:38 pm »
Check out the comments on the DC's post of this article on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/DailyCaller/posts/10152062399463743

This goes to show there is very much a disconnect between those who are in politics (commentators, politicians, reporters, consultants, etc) and the real people out here paying our taxes. I respect Sowell a lot but what he is saying is to continue to play the game it has always been played. He is looking at the game from the game board using the game's rules. We the people are sick of the game, period. The political class wants to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »
I respect Dr. Sowell, totally. Enough that I won't reject anything he says out of hand.

On the one hand, Ted Cruz is pretty brash and impatient.

On the other hand, so is half of the country.

On the gripping hand, two very smart people are disagreeing.

Cruz is doing exactly what he promised to do in his campaign. It should be no surprise to anyone. Your point is interesting though because what Cruz is doing is being a representative of the people who elected him and their voice in Washington.  Isn't that how it is supposed to work?  He is the brash and impatient voice of the people he promised to be.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »
Cruz is doing exactly what he promised to do in his campaign. It should be no surprise to anyone. Your point is interesting though because what Cruz is doing is being a representative of the people who elected him and their voice in Washington.  Isn't that how it is supposed to work?  He is the brash and impatient voice of the people he promised to be.

It is how it is supposed to work but rarely does.

One of the things that bugs me is people complaining that a Rep or Senator is not a "perfect conservative." It really ticks me off - he may be your Senator, but he's also the Senator for the Dem next door.

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »
Dr. Sowell is taking the pragmatic approach and is concerned that shining light on the vampires may hurt their reelection chances.
I believe that in all other respects, he agrees with Cruz.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »
Also from Sowell:
Those causes are not being served when Cruz undermines the election chances of the only political party that has any chance of undoing the disasters that Obama has already inflicted on the nation – and forestalling new disasters that are visible on the horizon.

There's that "rub" again!!  Maybe a great deal of the differences of opinion that we see here of late has to do with each of our views of that "chance."  I agree that there is a "chance" but also personally believe that it is slim to none at this point.  And I don't say that without great contemplation and pain.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »

This goes to show there is very much a disconnect between those who are in politics (commentators, politicians, reporters, consultants, etc) and the real people out here paying our taxes. I respect Sowell a lot but what he is saying is to continue to play the game it has always been played. He is looking at the game from the game board using the game's rules. We the people are sick of the game, period. The political class wants to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Worth repeating
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 02:57:27 pm »
This, is the other side of the story. I don't think the Republican old guard have a clue how unpopular they are. The tradition of both parties is they chose  their party whips, leaders,speaker. It is a pecking order of major ass kissing and money flowing. The,' it's HIS turn,' mantra is as old as they are. They work for us. Just because they found out that serving is a lucrative career ( with insider trading slush funds,- aside from their six-figure salaries- most could live off of AND to boot WE pay their car notes! ) does not mean- they should be allowed- to quit serving the American people. If we returned to government of this stature serving and having in real life outside jobs- without conflict of interest-

Maybe just maybe it is a start of getting the beast calmed that has become government in this role. There is also absolutely no reasoning in why the older ones don't retire. What ever happened to term limits and did they ever vote on no more insider trading that we would go to jail for if we tried?

We have term limits.  They're called "elections." 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »

This.  Very much so!!

:thumbsup3:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Yes...and we are taking advantage of that right now!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 03:03:04 pm »
Yes, it would appear some folks don't understand that civil people - whether Mr. Sowell or posters here - can disagree without engaging in name-calling and hyperbole.

I don't understand why some people seem to tailor their posts to elicit the strongest negative reaction they can get. It's textbook troll behavior.

I like Cruz's direct approach. I have reserved judgement on Cruz because he does have earmarks of someone who is self serving, not necessarily working for the greater good.

Unfortunately for me, I hate Democrats, and hate Republicans just a little less.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:13:17 pm by Relic »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »
It is how it is supposed to work but rarely does.

One of the things that bugs me is people complaining that a Rep or Senator is not a "perfect conservative." It really ticks me off - he may be your Senator, but he's also the Senator for the Dem next door.

Principals and sworn duty are not to be compromised regardless of what any members of your constituency may think, believe, or want.  If I am a House Rep (or Senator) would you expect me to represent the interests of either the avowed anarchist that wishes to destroy the government in total or the intense social conservative that wishes to mold the government into a theocracy, just because they reside in my district?  Certainly not in either case.  We need representatives that uphold their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution and operate within in its clearly described bounds, and show fidelity to the principals that they espoused to earn election.

It may bug you, but that is the it was supposed to work.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 03:20:24 pm »
I like Cruz's direct approach. I have reserved judgement on Cruz because he does have earmarks of someone who is self serving, not necessarily working for the greater good.

Unfortunately for me, I hate Democrats, and hate Republicans just a little less.
I'm a believer in the "80% friend" quote attributed to Ronald Reagan. I don't know of any elected official or candidate with whom I'm 100% in step (except myself, and I'm not running this year!).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 03:27:09 pm »
Principals and sworn duty are not to be compromised regardless of what any members of your constituency may think, believe, or want.  If I am a House Rep (or Senator) would you expect me to represent the interests of either the avowed anarchist that wishes to destroy the government in total or the intense social conservative that wishes to mold the government into a theocracy, just because they reside in my district?  Certainly not in either case.  We need representatives that uphold their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution and operate within in its clearly described bounds, and show fidelity to the principals that they espoused to earn election.

It may bug you, but that is the it was supposed to work.

That is the touchstone. Do they keep their word and guard their duties.

However - I would expect Reps to meet with any constituent and listen to them. And not give them bullshit answers, but give them the respect of being honest. "No, I can't push this, and this is why," or "Thank you for telling me about this. It will be dealt with."

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

Yes...and we are taking advantage of that right now!

And myst, if I may be so bold as to speak for others here, we are desperately trying to change the makeup of "the only other political party that has a chance." (And, darn it, we could use a little help here from those that agree with our principles and goals but disagree with our "tactics")

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 03:33:12 pm »
That is the touchstone. Do they keep their word and guard their duties.

However - I would expect Reps to meet with any constituent and listen to them. And not give them bullshit answers, but give them the respect of being honest. "No, I can't push this, and this is why," or "Thank you for telling me about this. It will be dealt with."

No quibble with that at all.  Respect and honesty, as you point out.