Author Topic: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz  (Read 5046 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 03:34:16 pm »
Principals and sworn duty are not to be compromised regardless of what any members of your constituency may think, believe, or want.  If I am a House Rep (or Senator) would you expect me to represent the interests of either the avowed anarchist that wishes to destroy the government in total or the intense social conservative that wishes to mold the government into a theocracy, just because they reside in my district?  Certainly not in either case.  We need representatives that uphold their sworn duty to uphold the Constitution and operate within in its clearly described bounds, and show fidelity to the principals that they espoused to earn election.

It may bug you, but that is the it was supposed to work.

Hear Here!!!!

There it is in a nutshell! Can't be said any better!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
That is the touchstone. Do they keep their word and guard their duties.

However - I would expect Reps to meet with any constituent and listen to them. And not give them bullshit answers, but give them the respect of being honest. "No, I can't push this, and this is why," or "Thank you for telling me about this. It will be dealt with."

Good luck with that! Most of them are masters at quickly sizing you up and telling you what you want to hear and CALLING that the truth! The sad fact is that is what MOST of their constituents WANT them to do!

It's easy for anyone to see what happens to someone who actually tries to do as you suggest in today's Washington! All you need do pay attention to what they have attempted to do to Ted Cruz, Mike Lee and a very few others!!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:43:47 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »
I don't understand why some people seem to tailor their posts to elicit the strongest negative reaction they can get. It's textbook troll behavior.

I like Cruz's direct approach. I have reserved judgement on Cruz because he does have earmarks of someone who is self serving, not necessarily working for the greater good.

Unfortunately for me, I hate Democrats, and hate Republicans just a little less.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. He can be self-serving and working toward the greater good because he believes the greater good is promoting a system that most benefits the individual, including himself. I am one of those who don't believe true altruism exists. Everything we do is self serving in one form or another whether it is for accolades, acceptance, reward, or creating a society you personally want to live in. I am more wary of someone that completely denies they have a self-interest motivation because they are either lying or deluded.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:05 pm »
I help people with their back pain. I darn well better get paid for it or I won't be doing it much longer!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »
Those two things are not mutually exclusive. He can be self-serving and working toward the greater good because he believes the greater good is promoting a system that most benefits the individual, including himself. I am one of those who don't believe true altruism exists. Everything we do is self serving in one form or another whether it is for accolades, acceptance, reward, or creating a society you personally want to live in. I am more wary of someone that completely denies they have a self-interest motivation because they are either lying or deluded.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity, but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages. Nobody but a beggar chuses to depend chiefly upon the benevolence of his fellow citizens.”

Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations, vol.1, p.16

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »
From the DC comments:
Syrilda Davidson Gallaway I bear witness to what you are saying,LISA MORTON PINNELL. Senator Ted Cruz ,did what he did because 3.2 million people signed a petition,to #RepealObamacare ,and I was one of them ,he kept us informed on what could happen and ask us and kept us informed all the way. 3.2 million people witnessed the lies and who told them,it also allows us to see and discern his enemies .He gave it his all ,which could have led to his Political death.Because we encouraged him to do it.We know those who call him self serving , is not able to see the TRUTH,those who call us Hero Worshipper's ,cannot see the TRUTH .and we know Who the Blind are following "THE BLIND " go ahead on drive off that cliff . listen to those sound bites, and the propaganda ,OR you can get behind him and help him ,get our Country back on track . the future is in your hands too!! What are you going to do about it ???

Unlike · 1 · 10 minutes ago

Jason Kufs His logic is silly. I love Sowell but I disagree with his logic. He is basically saying Cruz is right about the establishment but shouldn't do anything about it or he stands out.

Unlike · Reply · 20 · 14 hours ago

Offline evadR

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »
" I love Sowell but I disagree with his logic. He is basically saying Cruz is right about the establishment but shouldn't do anything about it or he stands out."
DITTO.
That is the cruxt of this entire article in a nutshell.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 11:10:30 pm »
I liken Ted Cruz to Paul Revere.  Where would my ancestors be today were it not for people like Revere to sound the warning.  Cruz is trying to wake people up and some are determined to slumber along withthe same-ole same-ole rather than consider it is time for new leadership..... if McConnell was CEO of a major company he would have already received a golden handshake - Boehner, too.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 12:56:25 am »
I don't understand why some people seem to tailor their posts to elicit the strongest negative reaction they can get. It's textbook troll behavior.

I like Cruz's direct approach. I have reserved judgement on Cruz because he does have earmarks of someone who is self serving, not necessarily working for the greater good.

Unfortunately for me, I hate Democrats, and hate Republicans just a little less.

It's the new "Reality TV" standard for American life.  Affectation and hyperbole abound.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 06:03:13 pm »
" I love Sowell but I disagree with his logic. He is basically saying Cruz is right about the establishment but shouldn't do anything about it or he stands out."
DITTO.
That is the cruxt of this entire article in a nutshell.

Exactly and the person that started this thread changed the title to suit their views.

The correct title is

Republican Party Needs to Master the Message

The subject of the article can be summed up with this...

The Republican establishment has more than a tactical deficiency, however. They seem to have no principle that they offer or follow with any consistency. Their lack of articulation may be just a reflection of that lack of principle. It is hard to get to the point when you have no point to get to.

Ted Cruz filled a void. But the Republican establishment created the void. 
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
Exactly and the person that started this thread changed the title to suit their views.
That is FALSE. The title was NOT changed.

Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/conservative-legend-thomas-sowell-turns-on-ted-cruz/#ixzz2tyuHSKMG

See for your self.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/19/conservative-legend-thomas-sowell-turns-on-ted-cruz/#ixzz2tyuHSKMG

See for your self.

The original article was at NRO.  Daily Caller changed the title to turn what wasn't a hit piece into a hit piece.  The original was posted here a few days earlier and got no comments.. which goes to show why the media uses headlines to manipulate us.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »

See for your self.

My bad. I apologize. It was THE DAILY CALLER that changed the title.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:02 pm »
The original article was at NRO.  Daily Caller changed the title to turn what wasn't a hit piece into a hit piece.  The original was posted here a few days earlier and got no comments.. which goes to show why the media uses headlines to manipulate us.

What Dr. Sowell said is the substance of the matter. Changing the title doesn't alter his words. I did not change the title.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 06:41:46 pm »
Wow, you are hard headed. I apologized. Now don't go reporting me, ya hear?

No one was blaming you anymore and I apologized. The article you posted had that title but there is a distinct difference in...

and

Republican Party Needs to Master the Message

AGAIN No one is blaming you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:43:32 pm by Gazoo »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »
The same articles especially opinion pieces have a tendency to have different titles at different sites...this is one reason we have a lot of duplicate articles.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:50 pm »
I would never call Sowell RINO. I would simply disagree and point out he's somewhat wrong on Cruz. Like any human – I'm just guessing here – Sowell may fall slightly short of perfection on this particular opinion.

:hands: :hands: :hands:

Offline Carling

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 09:23:08 pm »
I liken Ted Cruz to Paul Revere.  Where would my ancestors be today were it not for people like Revere to sound the warning.  Cruz is trying to wake people up and some are determined to slumber along withthe same-ole same-ole rather than consider it is time for new leadership..... if McConnell was CEO of a major company he would have already received a golden handshake - Boehner, too.

:silly:

Move over Sarah Palin, there is a new conservative god in town!

Ted Cruz is a solid conservative.  He's also an excellent self-promoter.  I said it before, if he runs in 2016, everything he's been doing so far in office has been for show.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:25:16 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:50 pm »

Ted Cruz is a solid conservative.  He's also an excellent self-promoter.  I said it before, if he runs in 2016, everything he's been doing so far in office has been for show.

How is any politician not self-promoting?

Offline happyg

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »

And you know this?? How?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:35 am »
Oh, yes. All aspirants to the presidency are insincere. Coveting the job is prima facie evidence of insincerity, don't you know? And anything they do, any action they take on the way to throwing their hat in the ring is done for show and is simply self-serving.

It couldn't possibly be that someone like Cruz surveyed the political landscape, saw no one willing to take the hard stands and fight the good fight, and decided to do something about it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 02:02:07 am »
Still looking for anyone who deemed Palin or Cruz a god. It wasn't anyone here.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2014, 02:18:09 am »
Oh, yes. All aspirants to the presidency are insincere. Coveting the job is prima facie evidence of insincerity, don't you know? And anything they do, any action they take on the way to throwing their hat in the ring is done for show and is simply self-serving.

It couldn't possibly be that someone like Cruz surveyed the political landscape, saw no one willing to take the hard stands and fight the good fight, and decided to do something about it.

You could be right.

On the other hand, those of us who believe Cruz has astutely figured out that he has a pathway to a presidential run by taking hard stands that will draw support and cash.  His is the kind of personality that is immune to working with others or really caring what anyone else thinks of his stance.

That can be courageous.  It can also reflect someone who doesn't evaluate consequences.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2014, 03:42:01 am »
You could be right.

On the other hand, those of us who believe Cruz has astutely figured out that he has a pathway to a presidential run by taking hard stands that will draw support and cash.  His is the kind of personality that is immune to working with others or really caring what anyone else thinks of his stance.

That can be courageous.  It can also reflect someone who doesn't evaluate consequences.

He may be abrasive.  But he's already been proven correct regarding the pitfalls and expense of Obamacare.  It's how leaders are born, Sink.  It's how respect is earned....whether it's the Senate or an internet forum.

That 'disastrous'  filibuster speech is going to catapult him right into the White House.  That's his strategy.  So what?

To call those motives phony and suspect is ridiculous.

All he has to do continue to correctly prognosticate.  And with this bunch, it's like picking money off the floor.  Sooner or later even the LIV is going to know it's time to run away from Communism.

Cultural icon Howard Stern used the word Communists today.   All it takes is one........
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2014, 03:50:07 am »

That 'disastrous'  filibuster speech is going to catapult him right into the White House.  That's his strategy.  So what?

I hope so, because his future in the Senate, in terms of being an agent of change, is basically nil at this point.   Neither the Dems nor any of the other GOP senators can ever trust the guy again.  It's probably best if he does run for President.  It's what flame-throwing opportunists like Cruz do best. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:51:28 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------