Author Topic: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz  (Read 2851 times)

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Conservative legend Thomas Sowell turns on Ted Cruz
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »
I hope so, because his future in the Senate, in terms of being an agent of change, is basically nil at this point.   Neither the Dems nor any of the other GOP senators can ever trust the guy again.  It's probably best if he does run for President.  It's what flame-throwing opportunists like Cruz do best.

Hate to burst your idea of reality, but we're only one event away from a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

I want a flame-throwing opportunist....if that's the vessel in which to get our message out there.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »
Hate to burst your idea of reality, but we're only one event away from a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

I want a flame-throwing opportunist....if that's the vessel in which to get our message out there.
:thumbsup2:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
He may be abrasive.  But he's already been proven correct regarding the pitfalls and expense of Obamacare.  It's how leaders are born, Sink.  It's how respect is earned....whether it's the Senate or an internet forum.

That 'disastrous'  filibuster speech is going to catapult him right into the White House.  That's his strategy.  So what?

To call those motives phony and suspect is ridiculous.

All he has to do continue to correctly prognosticate.  And with this bunch, it's like picking money off the floor.  Sooner or later even the LIV is going to know it's time to run away from Communism.

Cultural icon Howard Stern used the word Communists today.   All it takes is one........

I love you like a brother, DC, but you couldn't be more wrong about Ted Cruz.  "Green Eggs and Ham" is not going to catapult anybody into the White House.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
I love you like a brother, DC, but you couldn't be more wrong about Ted Cruz.  "Green Eggs and Ham" is not going to catapult anybody into the White House.

Thanks, buddy!   I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see anybody else stepping up and publicly crying "foul"....and that bugs the hell out of me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Carling

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »
Thanks, buddy!   I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't see anybody else stepping up and publicly crying "foul"....and that bugs the hell out of me.

Plenty of others are standing up and crying "foul." 

They aren't begging for the media spotlight as a "maverick," though. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:10 AM »
If Ted Cruz ends up as more than a footnote in presidential history, I will literally eat a Tea Party hat.  As it is, he already has made more of an impact on another footnote in history, Sarah Palin. 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Once-Ler

• How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Trump
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:56:41 AM by Once-Ler »
"Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."  -  President Donald J Trump

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....
...They have been in our country for many years through no fault of their own - brought in by parents at young age. Plus BIG border security
       Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump 5:35 AM - Sep 14, 2017

Online aligncare

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:20 AM »
In 1976 George Will wrote a scathing editorial denouncing a primary challenger to then sitting president, Gerald Ford. He wasn't the only one. It seemed everyone in the Republican Party from those in media to those in leadership piled on this challenger. The Challenger lost his bid for the nomination. Gerald Ford, however, lost to Jimmy Carter that year.

In 1980 the Challenger ran for president again. It was his third attempt. Again George Will and nearly everyone in the media, the Establishment, and the Republican party attacked this man mercilessly. Called him everything imaginable from extreme and dangerous, to unintellectual and just plain stupid.

This time he won the nomination.  Republican leaders hated Ronald Reagan in the beginning because he was threatening the balance of power. Just like Ted Cruz is threatening the balance of power now. And elitist don't like it. Thank God we don't have elitists posting here at TBR.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2014, 06:55:26 AM »
Will and Krauthammer are nothing more than puppets of the GOP-E.  Their jobs are to toss enough red meat to excite the unwashed but at the end of the day get back to dine on grilled quail and arugala.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Once-Ler

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2014, 07:33:13 AM »
Will and Krauthammer are nothing more than puppets of the GOP-E.  Their jobs are to toss enough red meat to excite the unwashed but at the end of the day get back to dine on grilled quail and arugala.
Damn glad they're on my team.  They are both brilliant, as is Sowell.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:33:36 AM by Once-Ler »
"Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."  -  President Donald J Trump

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....
...They have been in our country for many years through no fault of their own - brought in by parents at young age. Plus BIG border security

Online aligncare

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »
Was George Will brilliant in 1976 or 1980 when he, along with the rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan?

I suppose he could plead temporary insanity since he's written many an editorial since then praising Ronald Reagan's brilliant leadership.

Offline Once-Ler

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »

Online aligncare

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »

Offline Once-Ler

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
I don't have a link to the citation (it was actually written in 1974 just before Reagan announced his candidacy and after Reagan had formed the group Americans for the Republic).  Will's editorial can be purchased at the Washington Post. November 12, 1974, titled: Ronald Reagan, the GOP and '76.

Was George Will brilliant in 1976 or 1980 when he, along with the rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan?

I suppose he could plead temporary insanity since he's written many an editorial since then praising Ronald Reagan's brilliant leadership.

You make a very sharp accusation about Will with nothing to back it up.  So not conceding that Will was insane, and not having read nor any interest in paying money to the WaPo, I may never know what Will wrote in 1976.  Maybe you want to purchase it read it again and see if your recollection from 1976 is accurate and post it here.  But by your meager description I'll suggest maybe he had some reason for not liking Reagan at first but was impressed with how he handled himself as President.

I have no clue "what rest of the GOP establishment, was dead wrong about Ronald Reagan."  Who are you referring to?  What are referring to?  Give me something specific to work with here.

The GOP establishment wasn't wrong about Reagan in 1976.  He couldn't attract enough voters in the primaries.  The GOPe didn't think he could and they were right. 

Online aligncare

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
Fortunately, Mark Levin has a couple of researchers who pulled dozens of citations. Levin read a number of quotes from establishment Republicans last night, from speaker of the house in 1976 to Nelson Rockefeller to various and sundry congressional Republicans, all of them trashing Reagan. If you go to Mark Levin show.com you can listen to the first 15 minutes of his show on podcast. It's all there and it's free.

The attacks on Reagan coming from republican leaders in 1976 and 1980 are well documented. Do you really need to challenge that fact to make your point about Cruz?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
Fortunately, Mark Levin has a couple of researchers who pulled dozens of citations. Levin read a number of quotes from establishment Republicans last night, from speaker of the house in 1976 to Nelson Rockefeller to various and sundry congressional Republicans, all of them trashing Reagan. If you go to Mark Levin show.com you can listen to the first 15 minutes of his show on podcast. It's all there and it's free.

The attacks on Reagan coming from republican leaders in 1976 and 1980 are well documented. Do you really need to challenge that fact to make your point about Cruz?

It's a false equivalency to compare Cruz to Reagan.  Ronald Reagan had a well-developed, well-articulated vision, even in 1976.  Cruz has confrontation and bluster. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline Once-Ler

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
November 3, 1984 - The Nation

Smiling racism

by Roger Wilkins

Why are you quoting a bunch of liberals?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:33:03 PM by Once-Ler »

Online aligncare

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
It's a false equivalency to compare Cruz to Reagan.  Ronald Reagan had a well-developed, well-articulated vision, even in 1976.  Cruz has confrontation and bluster. 

I'm not comparing Cruz to Reagan. I am comparing the similar reaction of what each embody to the status quo.

Offline Once-Ler

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

The fact that Levin needed two researchers proves it's not well documented, but after listening to Levin I will concede the similarities of criticism.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,130486.msg530424.html#msg530424  here is a more in depth response.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:42:00 PM by Once-Ler »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf