Author Topic: Some 'American Idol' contestants lean on NASCAR's spiritual advisor  (Read 792 times)

Offline happyg

When American Idol needed a spiritual advisor for its contestants this season, the show turned to an unexpected place: NASCAR.

Billy Mauldin, president and CEO of the Motor Racing Outreach ministry, was brought in to help Idol hopefuls manage the ups and downs of competition – much like he's been doing for NASCAR drivers since 1999.

Along with wife Julie, Mauldin has been on hand in Los Angeles to be a resource if contestants want someone to talk with them during a critical point in the competition. This week, a series of three live shows that begin tonight will whittle the field from 31 singers to the final 13.

"The expectations here are the same for what we do for NASCAR: To be there for the people, be present, help with the spiritual side of life and some of the struggles they may deal with as they're going through the competition," Mauldin told USA TODAY Sports.

The idea was the brainchild of David Hill, the former Fox Sports chairman who was tapped to oversee an Idol overhaul this year in the face of a ratings decline. Hill had been watching tapes of past seasons when it struck him how many contestants grew up in a faith-based environment and began singing in church.

"I thought to myself, 'Wow, it must be really tough to go to this intense competition – and this show does change lives – and if you're used to being in a church-based organization, that would be a huge adjustment," Hill told USA TODAY Sports. "Especially for kids who are 16, 17, 18 years old and away from home for the first time."

Hill wanted to find someone who contestants could sit and talk to, but also someone who understood competition because "this is the biggest talent show in the world."

Then it hit him: Through his experience working with NASCAR, he'd seen Mauldin in action.

"I couldn't think of anyone better to advise these kids than Billy," Hill said. "In my mind, NASCAR is the most intense athletic competition in the country because if you make a mistake, you're risking serious injury and death."

MORE: 'Idol' singer's goal: 'To make my dad proud'

The stakes might not be as high in Idol, but it sure might feel that way at times for the contestants.

Mauldin and his family were driving home to Charlotte from the beach in June when Hill called and pitched the idea. It caught Mauldin by surprise.

"I'll be honest with you: When he said it, I was kind of like, 'Do what?' " Mauldin said with a laugh.

Hill brought the Mauldins to Idol's boot camp in Palos Verdes, Calif., earlier this month. Former judge Randy Jackson led the contestants through a workshop with voice coaches and star coaches. The hopefuls met former Idol stars Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry, who talked to them about song choice and how to perform on stage, and also were introduced to the Mauldins.

"I told the contestants that Billy and Julie were people who understand competition and would be available to talk," Hill said. "The response was incredible. A large percentage made appointments to sit down to talk to him -- and not only the contestants, but even some of the producers. It is working beyond my wildest dreams

NASCAR driver Michael McDowell said Mauldin would be the "perfect person" to help Idol contestants deal with the roller coaster of emotions that come with any competition – whether it's a talent show or NASCAR race.

"He treats everybody exactly the same," McDowell said. "He's there to lean on and support you if you need it, but he's not a fan. He's not star-struck; he doesn't care who it is. He's just there to help people's needs."

Mauldin, who will split time between Idol's live shows and NASCAR's traveling circus (he'll be back in Florida for Sunday's Daytona 500), said the singers are much like the young drivers who reach NASCAR's top level for the first time.

"It's similar to NASCAR in that for a lot of them, this is their moment," he said. "This is their break. You're dealing with a lot of new things. There are expectations, your performance is being closely watched, you're figuring out how to deal with being in the public eye for the first time."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/02/18/american-idol-gets-spiritual-advisor-from-nascar/5583365/

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Some 'American Idol' contestants lean on NASCAR's spiritual advisor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:21:03 pm »
Interesting... most interesting Is some one on a network actually did some critical thinking and realized faith is still a big part of ice in America.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:56:39 pm »
Interesting... most interesting Is some one on a network actually did some critical thinking and realized faith is still a big part of ice in America.

I can't imagine NBC doing the same. Of course, American Idol is on a Fox station. The Voice starts Monday. I really like them. They tutor the contenders throughout, so aren't left hanging.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:23:05 pm »
I can't imagine NBC doing the same. Of course, American Idol is on a Fox station. The Voice starts Monday. I really like them. They tutor the contenders throughout, so aren't left hanging.

I love the Voice - so does massadjv. He has a secret crust on Shakira (I have one on Blake Shelton).......  Miranda Lambert is the assistant coach to Shakira this season... should be a lot of fun to watch.  BTW Idol is 1000% improved this year. Last year with Mariah and Minaj it was a trainwreck.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:53 pm »
I love the Voice - so does massadjv. He has a secret crust on Shakira (I have one on Blake Shelton).......  Miranda Lambert is the assistant coach to Shakira this season... should be a lot of fun to watch.  BTW Idol is 1000% improved this year. Last year with Mariah and Minaj it was a trainwreck.

I like Idol a lot more this year. And, back to the Voice, my grandson (Pat's) looks like Adam Levine. Maybe that's why I like him, even though he's a lib. LOL~

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
I like Idol a lot more this year. And, back to the Voice, my grandson (Pat's) looks like Adam Levine. Maybe that's why I like him, even though he's a lib. LOL~

~LOL~ now all we need is someone who likes Usher (actully I grew to like him a lot last season) and we'll have our own TBR Voice team...

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:58 pm »
~LOL~ now all we need is someone who likes Usher (actully I grew to like him a lot last season) and we'll have our own TBR Voice team...

I like Usher! He has a lot of common sense, except when he helped Bieber get started. But back then, Bieber was a Christian, or so he claimed.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »
I like Usher! He has a lot of common sense, except when he helped Bieber get started. But back then, Bieber was a Christian, or so he claimed.

For some reason I had mentally equated Usher to people like Kanye. He is nothing like Kanye... like you said, very serious and very level-headed.  I remember in one of the rehearsal segments last year one of the contestants was not taking it seriously and goofing around and Usher nailed him telling him this was not a time to joke around and if he wanted to get into this business he better get his act together - IIRC he cut the guy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:15:11 pm by Rapunzel »