Author Topic: The Arctic Ocean is warming  (Read 969 times)

rangerrebew

The Arctic Ocean is warming
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:38 pm »

The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90+ years ago.

Received via e-mail, author unknown

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Arctic Ocean is warming
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:45:03 pm »
I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90+ years ago.
:silly:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »
yah...climate change?  Certainly.  Cyclic? Positively. Man made?? In some cases but not all.

Here we are in the middle of one of the most intense winters in decades and we are getting ever more twisted links to man made causes.  I am certain that there are things man can do to make aspects of the climate untenable.  The Dust Bowl in the United States is an excellent example.  It was created by destroying the prairie grass that formerly held the soil in place with annual crops of wheat in amounts that finally crashed the markets and left all that soil exposed to blow up in the wind in massive dust storms across the country.

Conversely, there have been massive reductions of atmospheric pollution during my lifetime without a doubt.  Industry simply cannot dump into the air, water and soil anything near what they used to.  I'm not claiming perfection, but significant progress has been made in many areas of society that used to pollute in more ways than one can count.  With all of that reduction of pollution over the last 50 years or so, those who formerly believed in man-made global warming ought to be celebrating the proof of their progress by the presence of this incredibly cold winter and other proof that warming has reversed, which is why there is this sudden change of terms from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change".

Gotta wonder which way they want it. 

:smokin:

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »
"Alf" Gore says global warming is going to bring aliens to the earth, too.  I know of one, "Alf" Gore" who is already here. :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »
The Earth has been warming up since roughly the end of the Ice Age.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
Wow, so that "weapon of mass destruction" has been looming over us since THEN?   

Offline rustynail

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »
Try swimming in it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:24 pm »
in some places the seals are finding the water too hot,

Even in 1922 when the average American adult had an 8th grade education the readers would find that claim ridiculous – unless the seals had a hot springs vacation rental.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:41:21 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »
The Earth has been warming up since roughly the end of the Ice Age.

Yep! And gonna keep right on doing so until the next ice age begins (maybe happening now)!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »
Even in 1922 when the average American adult had an 8th grade education the readers would find that claim ridiculous – unless the seals had a hot springs vacation rental.

An 8th grade education was better than a H.S. diploma today.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »

Yep.   My Dad and Mom were both of that generation where primary school ended after the 8th grade. Most did not go beyond that, nore needed to.   And they had a better education than a 12th grader today
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:14 pm »

Most college graduates could not pass a 8th grade test from the 1800's.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »
The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

Received via e-mail, author unknown

Great job!  I love the old doom and gloom news reports.  This one will rank right along the 75sih 'we're all going to freeze' article.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:52 pm »
I'm sure if they discovered it was because of unusually high number of underwater crevices and volcanoes .....they'd hurry and tell us.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald