Author Topic: The Interesting Detail Obama Perhaps Didn’t Notice About Where He Gave His Latest Speech  (Read 703 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/18/the-interesting-detail-obama-perhaps-didnt-notice-about-where-he-gave-his-latest-speech/

The Interesting Detail Obama Perhaps Didn’t Notice About Where He Gave His Latest Speech
Feb. 18, 2014 1:55pm Fred Lucas   

President Barack Obama hit a Safeway distribution center in Upper Marlboro, Md., on Tuesday, where he reminisced about the grocery chain at an event to announce fuel efficiency standards.

“I have a little soft spot for Safeway in my heart because, some of you know, I went to high school in Hawaii and I was living with my grandparents, and our main grocery store was Safeway,” Obama said. “It was right down the way. And so my grandmother would send me out to go shopping at Safeway, and everybody there always treated me very well. So I very much appreciate the good work you guys do.”

But more recently, the workers of Safeway rejected the Obamacare exchanges in their contract negotiations.

“The contract allows current employees and some future employees to keep their current health benefits rather than being shifted onto health care exchanges — an outcome that union leaders said resulted from member activism during bargaining that was complicated by additional costs imposed by the Affordable Care Act,” the Baltimore Sun reported on Dec. 17, 2013.

The contract was agreed to by two grocery chains, Giant and Safeway, with the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 27 and Local 400 covering about 28,000 employees in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia.

The Republican National Committee pounced on the irony, issuing a press release declaring: “Obamacare wasn’t the safe choice for Safeway workers.”

Speaking in Maryland against a background of trucks, Obama pledged to direct the Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department to double fuel efficiency standards by 2025.

He noted that big commercial delivery trucks make up just 4 percent of vehicles on the road, but account for 20 percent of pollution from vehicles.

“So that’s why we’re investing in research to get more fuel economy gains,” Obama said. “Thanks to a partnership between industry and my administration, the truck behind me was able to achieve a 75 percent improvement in fuel economy over the last year — 75 percent. That’s why we call this super truck. It’s impressive, this one right here, as well. I mean, these are — first of all, they’re really big. But you can see how they’ve redesigned the truck in order for us to save fuel economy.”

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Isn't Safeway a Mormon-owned company? I may be mistaken, but if it is, shouldn't he have lambasted them on their Prop. 8 homophobia or something?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

Isn't Safeway a Mormon-owned company? I may be mistaken, but if it is, shouldn't he have lambasted them on their Prop. 8 homophobia or something?  :pondering:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaggs_family‎
M.B. Skaggs, first President of Safeway, plus an early and a modern Safeway store .... In Ogden, Utah L.J. meets and marries Mary Dee, daughter of a Mormon ...

Does a Mormon own Safeway Stores - WikiAnswers
Currently, Safeway is a publically traded company and is therefore owned by stockholders, not an individual. The Mormon Church does not have stock in ...

Does Mormon church own safeway - WikiAnswers
No. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the "Mormon" church) has absolutely nothing to do with Safeway or any other grocery store. The church ...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

OK, I just remembered something about that back when I lived in a state where one could find a Safeway.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

OK, I just remembered something about that back when I lived in a state where one could find a Safeway.  ^-^

Good memory, the founders were. I guess the church got out of the grocery store business, used to be a chain (not Safeway) in SoCal that was owned by the Mormon Church.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Good memory, the founders were. I guess the church got out of the grocery store business, used to be a chain (not Safeway) in SoCal that was owned by the Mormon Church.

That was quite a while ago and I do believe it was intended to help support Mormon families to obtain food to set aside for time of need.