Author Topic: Lamar Alexander crushing Tea Party foe, leads 7-1 among key conservatives  (Read 8517 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
http://washingtonexaminer.com/lamar-alexander-crushing-tea-party-foe-leads-7-1-among-key-conservatives/article/2543902

Lamar Alexander crushing Tea Party foe, leads 7-1 among key conservatives

By Paul Bedard  | FEBRUARY 12, 2014 AT 3:49 PM

They did it in Utah, Texas, Kentucky, Delaware, and Indiana but the Tea Party isn't taking over the Republican Party in Tennessee, and it isn't going to beat longtime Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander, no matter how much anti-establishment bravado it gins up.

And his lead over primary opponent and Tea Party fave Joe Carr isn't by an “edge,” as Politico reported. It's huge and likely insurmountable.

According to a memo from established polling expert Whit Ayres, president of North Star Opinion Research, the folksy Alexander holds a 70-percent-to-11-percent lead in conservative East Tennessee, where half the GOP primary vote comes from. Among “very conservatives,” he leads Carr 53 percent to 23 percent. In a head-to-head matchup, he leads three to one. Among Republicans he leads 69 percent to 14 percent.

And his favorability in the state he once governed? Among primary voters, it is 67 percent approve, 26 percent disapprove.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, in a challenging re-election race in neighboring Kentucky, should be so lucky as to have Alexander's “edge.”

“This campaign looks essentially the same today as it did last August,” wrote Ayres. “Given Senator Alexander’s universal name recognition, it will be very difficult for his opponents to move these numbers. Alexander remains in a very strong position to win the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate.”

Tea Party groups believe they still have a chance, but it doesn't look good. Carr, for example, hasn't raised in his Senate race what he did in his recent House race.

But they have time. Hillary Pate, Carr's communication's director, said it's "laughable" to believe polling long before the primary election.

“In his 2002 primary, he consistently released polling showing a 40 percent point lead and the final results showed those assertions to be so far off base, they were laughable. Now he’s doing it again, claiming to be a conservative when he’s not, and claiming high levels of support while every other recent non-partisan poll shows plummeting approval ratings," she said in a statement to Secrets.

"In contrast, our authentically conservative campaign is building momentum and the solid support that will help us achieve victory on election day," added Pate.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Lamar Alexander crushing Tea Party foe, leads 7-1 among key conservatives
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:24 pm »
You're not even a conservative, by your own admission, so why are you here except to try and stir up sh*t?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:32:50 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:31 pm »
You're not even a conservative, by your own admission, so why are you here except to try and stir up sh*t?

TS is a solid conservative.  All over the country, all the TP hopes and dreams are going up in smoke.  Alexander winning, Cornyn winning (and will win without a runoff), McConnell winning.

And they are doing it with the votes of CONSERVATIVES.  Most conservatives, in fact, are not TPers, and apparently prefer to stay with proven leadership.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:24:21 am »

Why is TS not a Conservative??? I'm seeing a lot people here acting like people at the site that shall not be mentioned.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:45 am »
TS is a solid conservative.  All over the country, all the TP hopes and dreams are going up in smoke.  Alexander winning, Cornyn winning (and will win without a runoff), McConnell winning.

And they are doing it with the votes of CONSERVATIVES.  Most conservatives, in fact, are not TPers, and apparently prefer to stay with proven leadership.
What have they proven? How to cave? How to let the Democrats run over them like they're the Lincoln Highway?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:40 am »

I've been a conservative longer than you have been alive, "moderator."

Voted for Ford, Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, Romney. Never never voted democrat, once, and don't plan to.

If Cruz or Christie or anybody in between is the candidate next time, I'll vote for them.

Seriously do you see your job as a moderator to harass posters, challenge they are not conservative, etc.?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:37 am »

Voted for Ford, Reagan, Bush, Dole, Bush, Romney. Never never voted democrat, once, and don't plan to.

If Cruz or Christie or anybody in between is the candidate next time, I'll vote for them.

Seriously do you see your job as a moderator to harass posters, challenge they are not conservative, etc.?

ACow... what the hell has got into you?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:53:21 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:47:30 am »
Politics. It makes madmen of us all. I get the vapors just thinking about the run-up to November.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:52 am »

Don't be intimidated.  If Myst stands by her principles, these gnats are no more than other posters.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:09 am »
Why is TS not a Conservative??? I'm seeing a lot people here acting like people at the site that shall not be mentioned.

Read his posts.  He openly mocks conservatives and conservative forums.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:57:09 am »
It's funny how each side likes to think it's a matter of broad principle beating broad principle when their guy is winning, and just a matter of strictly local, parochial politics when their guy is losing.

Nobody - not truth_seeker, not Atomic Cow, nor anybody else - can have their cake and eat it, too.  All (well, most) politics is local, so this is more likely a matter of local political personalities and frustrations than it is the broad philosophical beatdown truth_seeker seems to think it is.

The same goes, in reverse, for those who crow over a tea partier getting the best of an e-GOP'er.

Beyond that, this insane in-fighting is getting out of control - I mean between various republican factions, not the folks on the forum - when are you - all of you - going to wake up and smell the coffee?  The enemy ain't us, it's them, the democrats/liberals.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 04:00:23 am »
For such a young whippersnapper with so much power, you sure lack a sense of humor and ability to take things in stride.

I have seen enough politicians and politics to hold them all in contempt and mock them.

Look up John Schmitz, a model true conservative if ever there was one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Schmitz

Randy Duke Cunningham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Cunningham

People who idolize politicians seem gullible to me.

I was treasurer of a local PAC. We supported conservatives. Two won, but failed to complete their terms, for one resigned over inappropriate conduct, and the other was convicted of fraud and served time in a federal prison.

Want more names, dates?

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:58 am »
For such a young whippersnapper with so much power, you sure lack a sense of humor and ability to take things in stride.

I have seen enough politicians and politics to hold them all in contempt and mock them.

Look up John Schmitz, a model true conservative if ever there was one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Schmitz

Randy Duke Cunningham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Cunningham

People who idolize politicians seem gullible to me.

I was treasurer of a local PAC. We supported conservatives. Two won, but failed to complete their terms, for one resigned over inappropriate conduct, and the other was convicted of fraud and served time in a federal prison.

Want more names, dates?

I'd ask for more dates, but my wife would kill me!  :silly:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:27 am »

Are zot-fests next?  Gotta cull the herd.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 04:44:40 am »
Preparing my opus now.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

Preparing my opus now.

Puh-leeze.

You, in particular, Once-ler.  You're just as good at throwing around invective and rhetoric when it suits your purposes.  There are only two people who could - if they were so inclined - "zot" someone, and they're Myst and R4S, and I very, very seriously doubt if they would ever, in a million years, do anything more than ask someone to lighten up and be a bit nicer.

Zots are for fanatics, not for the likes of Myst and R4S.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:01 am »
Puh-leeze.

You, in particular, Once-ler.  You're just as good at throwing around invective and rhetoric when it suits your purposes. 

In my best Elvis voice.

Thank ya...thank ya very much.

I was joking.  I'm not writing an opus.  If I wasn't having a blast here I'd just leave.

I learned my invective and rhetoric throwing from the best.  I've been married for many years.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 06:05:06 am »
In my best Elvis voice.

I was joking.  I'm not writing an opus.  If I wasn't having a blast here I'd just leave.

I learned my invective and rhetoric throwing from the best.  I've been married for many years.

:thumbsup:

rangerrebew

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »
If you will remember, Alexander is such an astute observer of the world that when he ran for POTUS and was asked how much a gallon of milk cost, he didn't know.  He, like all entrenched politicians, sees only what he wants to see. :tongue2:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:08 pm »
In my best Elvis voice.

Do you merely take notes, or are you allowed to get a word in from time to time?  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »

Don't be intimidated.  If Myst stands by her principles, these gnats are no more than other posters.

I am going to address this one more time:

When Mods post on the forum they are posting as a member not a Mod..they have opinions too and should be respected like every other member here....They volunteer to help run this forum and without them there would be no TBR...I don't appreciate them being referred to as *gnats*....

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »

Oh lawd I see I missed this last night.  :silly:

How do you know TS is a conservative? Posting history from here and a few old timers of politics on the net would say differently.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:15:32 pm by mystery-ak »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »

I stand with you on this. From two or three forums ago I can attest. But let's move on to the subject of this thread.

I know it is wrong but the obsession perfume cracks me up. Sorry.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline olde north church

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »
Suicide is painless.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members