Author Topic: Like that skim milk? You're essentially drinking pig slop  (Read 1638 times)

Offline happyg

Like that skim milk? You're essentially drinking pig slop
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:50 pm »
Americans have been conditioned to believe a great many things, especially when it comes to our diet, so suffice it to say that, when tidbits of truth seep out about some of our most common foods, especially on sites like Natural News, it can be a bit of a jolt to the psyche.

Take "skim" milk. Please.

I know, old joke. But seriously, at one time it was anything but the wholesome, lower-calorie food that it is sold as today, as excerpted from the book, Pure and Modern Milk: An Environmental History Since 1900, by Kendra Smith-Howard (hat tip Slate):

Do you prefer the lighter flavor of skim milk to 1 percent, 2 percent, or whole? Before World War II, skim milk - a byproduct of butter processing - was not sold in stores, but either discarded or fed to chickens, hogs, and calves as a protein-rich replacement for costlier animal feed. The development of skim milk as an attractive product for sale only came about because dairy producers, emboldened by their success selling milk to Uncle Sam during World War II, seized on postwar marketing opportunities to sell what once had been hog slop to housewives and families.

The stench - and tourism - drove changes in the industry

During the 1920s, Howard writes, and before environmental regulations were put in place, rural areas with cheese factories and creameries dumped tons of dairy discharge into local streams, which tended to accumulate and rot, as you might expect.

Excess buttermilk also spilled out of creamery spouts and into adjacent fields, as well as directly into waterways.

"Ditches brimmed with whey, attracting flies and creating a stinky mess. Many creameries had no access to a city sewer. In 1930, only 17 percent of waste released by Wisconsin milk plants was treated, leaving 42,513 pounds of untreated whey, skim milk, and other byproducts to be drained into the state's waterways," writes Howard.

Now the release of skim milk and whey into streams wasn't new; however, changes in the makeup of rural economies in the 1920s and '30s, coupled with the advent of automobile-driven tourism and the Great Depression that struck rural farms especially hard, altered the manner in which industrialists came to grips with, and reacted to, pollution from milk plants.

"The increase in rural tourism during the interwar period made it more difficult for dairy plants to hide the deleterious effects of dairy manufacturing from the public eye," Howard wrote. "As the number of Americans with automobiles increased and rural roads improved, motorists sought to take invigorating outdoor adventures in the countryside. When tourists who ventured to the countryside to be energized by fresh breezes found themselves breathing the foul vapors of 'dairy air' instead, disappointment ensued."

Other uses for skim milk - airplane wings

As one manager elaborated in the 1920s:

The automobile has brought the cheese factory odor and conditions to the attention of countless thousands of people, and no amount of argument or favorable advertising is going to convince the casual traveler that our cheese is of a high quality, when the attending conditions are such as to produce a feeling bordering on nausea.

Who knew that cars would ultimately drive - pardon the pun - changes to milk industry production?

Other uses for skim milk were developed as well. For instance, thanks to the introduction of chemurgy - the transformation of agricultural products into industrial resources - so-called chemurgists in the dairy industry were able to find many uses for casein, the protein of milk.

"Extracted from skim milk, the byproduct of butter processing, casein could be integrated into a wide variety of household goods," writes Howard. "As early as 1900, Henry E. Alvord reported that casein could substitute for eggs, replace glue in paper sizing, and be hardened into plastic to make buttons, combs, or electrical insulators. During World War I, casein coated airplane wings."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/043942_skim_milk_hog_slop_dairy_industry.html#ixzz2tcbOCFJ8

Offline rustynail

Re: Like that skim milk? You're essentially drinking pig slop
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »
Better Things for Better Living...Through Chemistry

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:34 pm »
When she was in her eighties, someone asked Julia Child what she attributed her long life to. 

Her answer? "Red meat and Gin."

Bon appetit.....

:beer:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 11:27:59 pm »
When she was in her eighties, someone asked Julia Child what she attributed her long life to. 

Her answer? "Red meat and Gin."

Bon appetit.....
I would have thought her answer would be "Red wine and butter," but whatever works!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:27 am »
I would have thought her answer would be "Red wine and butter," but whatever works!

A famous model in the 90s, Laeticia Casta who was, shall we say, voluptuous, was once asked if she had 'enhancements' she had. She responded it was all butter and cream of a French diet.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:20:57 am »
I like beef cheeks.

Nothing bothers me.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:03 am »
Know your source.

Michael Allen "Mike" Adams (born 1967 in Lawrence, Kansas),[5] the self-described "Health Ranger", is the founder and owner of NaturalNews. He is a raw foods enthusiast and "holistic nutritionist". Adams is an AIDS denialist, a 9/11 truther, a birther and endorses conspiracy theories surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. He has endorsed Burzynski: Cancer Is Serious Business, a movie about Stanislaw Burzynski. Steven Novella characterises Adams as "a dangerous conspiracy-mongering crank".[6] He has also written a favorable review of the pseudoscientific film House of Numbers on NaturalNews,[7] and has reprinted the review on the film's website.[8]

David Gorski of ScienceBlogs called the site "one of the most wretched hives of scum and quackery on the Internet," and the most "blatant purveyor of the worst kind of quackery and paranoid anti-physician and anti-medicine conspiracy theories anywhere on the Internet".[11] Peter Bowditch of the website Ratbags,[12] and Jeff McMahon writing for Forbes commented about the site.[13] Steven Novella of NeuroLogica Blog called NaturalNews "a crank alt med site that promotes every sort of medical nonsense imaginable. If it is unscientific, antiscientific, conspiracy-mongering, or downright silly, Mike Adams appears to be all for it – whatever sells the "natural" products he hawks on his site."[14]

Individuals who commented about Adams' website include astronomer and blogger Phil Plait,[15] PZ Myers,[16] and Mark Hoofnagle.[17] Brian Dunning listed it as #1 on his "Top 10 Worst Anti-Science Websites" list.[18] Adams is listed as a "promoter of questionable methods" by Quackwatch.[19] Robert T. Carroll at The Skeptic's Dictionary said, "Natural News is not a very good source for information. If you don't trust me on this, go to Respectful Insolence or any of the other bloggers on ScienceBlogs and do a search for "Natural News" or "Mike Adams" (who is NaturalNews). Hundreds of entries will be found and not one of them will have a good word to say about Mike Adams as a source."[20]

After Patrick Swayze's death in 2009, Adams posted an article in which he remarked that Swayze, in dying, "joins many other celebrities who have been recently killed by pharmaceuticals or chemotherapy."[21] Commentators of Adams' article on Patrick Swayze included bloggers such as David Gorski[22] and Phil Plait, the latter of whom called Adams' commentary "obnoxious and loathsome."[23] When Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy in May 2013 because she had the BRCA1 gene, Adams stated that "Countless millions of women carry the BRCA1 gene and never express breast cancer because they lead healthy, anti-cancer lifestyles based on smart nutrition, exercise, sensible sunlight exposure and avoidance of cancer-causing chemicals."[24] Gorski called the article "vile" and noted that Adams had written similarly themed articles about the death of Michael Jackson, Tony Snow, and Tim Russert.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaturalNews
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:50 am »
I like beef cheeks.

Nothing bothers me.

Beef cheeks are one of those delicacies chefs usually don't tell people about but keep for themselves. I love to braise them. They get so tender you can eat them with a spoon.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:04 am »
Know your source.
Thanks for digging that up. He sounds like the "Center for Science in the Public Interest" - two loony guys with a fax machine.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:39 am »
Know your source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaturalNews

Didn't even notice that. Thanks. Natural News is about as reliable as Prison Planet. They are hard-core scare mongers. Their latest has been the 'Subway uses yoga mat chemicals' (a bleaching agent for flour used for 150 years).

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:51:16 am »
Know your source.

I have seen Natural News around for some time.

Title: Natural health news
Description: Natural health news
Type: Beauty

Domain Age: 8 Years, 364 Days
Website Speed: Very Fast

Owner: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Owner Address: DomainsByProxy.com, 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309, Scottsdale, Arizona 85260, United States
Owner Country: United States
Website Location: United States
Notes:-
The owner of the website is using a service to hide their identity
This site is popular and has a high page rank
This website is deemed to be popular by Alexa with a ranking of 2214
This website has a good online trust rating.
This website has a good online reliability.

Analysis Details:-

This site is using an anonymous service - which prevents us from identifying the site owner. This can sometimes be just so that the owner does not receive spam, but be aware that many scam sites use this as a method to hide their identify. If this is an ecommerce site - we would suggest you confirm the business address with the website owners.
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/naturalnews.com

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:30 am »
Beef cheeks are one of those delicacies chefs usually don't tell people about but keep for themselves. I love to braise them. They get so tender you can eat them with a spoon.

yup....long slow moist heat....beef cheeks are an excellent candidate for simmering on the woodstove in a good cast iron dutch oven.....

:beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:07:03 am »
The did, indeed, feed it to the pigs.  In ice cream season my grandmother would churn the cream out of the milk and then clabber the milk to feed to the pigs.  I drink whole, non GMO milk with the cream on top.  I actually lost weight when I switched to this from 2% milk.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:39 am »

Sprinkle a bit of cocoa powder over them before you braise them.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:57 am »
cocoa powder?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:51 am »
cocoa powder?

Yep.

Braise them, out them in the fridge overnight, reheat them the next day.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 04:45:21 am »
cocoa powder?

P.S. About a half a tsp of UNSWEETENED cocoa powder to @3 lbs cheeks.

Sear the cheeks in very hot EVOO for about 20 minutes and set them aside. Drain most of the fat from the pot, make a nice miropoix, and sweat it in the pot with some fresh EVOO, sprinkle the cocoa powder in and stir, then deglaze the pot with a nice Lambrusco or Chianti (always use wine that you will drink yourself), boil until reduced by half. Return the cheeks to the pot, chop up a 32 oz can of whole pomodori pelati in juice (always use San Marzano region if you can find them) and drop them into the pot, salt and pepper to taste, bring to a simmer, cover and cook at 325F in the center of the oven for about 3 hours.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:21:07 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 05:13:11 am »
Sounds good.  You can come to Arizona and cook for me....  I almost never cook these days. George and I used to cook all the time and in the early days it wasn't unusual for us to cook a huge from scratch Chinese dinner for up to 20 people...... not so much fun to cook just for one person.