Author Topic: Augusta ice storm puts an end to the famed Eisenhower pine  (Read 611 times)

Online mountaineer

Augusta ice storm puts an end to the famed Eisenhower pine
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:20 pm »
Eisenhower's tree finally meets its match: Famous pine on Augusta that was bane of president's life on the golf course is removed thanks to winter storm

Over the years it has defied presidents and the world's best golfers time and time again. But now, after being badly damaged in a winter storm, Augusta National's famous Eisenhower Tree has been felled.

Augusta's golf club confirmed the iconic loblolly pine, affectionately named after it infuriated former member and U.S. President Dwight D., will not be seen at the next Masters competition in two months.

The tree sat about 210 yards off the left of the 17th fairway and was the only part of the course which was damaged in the recent storms that have ravaged Georgia.

'The loss of the Eisenhower Tree is difficult news to accept,' club chairman Billy Payne said. 'We obtained opinions from the best arborists available and, unfortunately, were advised that no recovery was possible.'  ...

Read more at DailyMail

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Augusta ice storm puts an end to the famed Eisenhower pine
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:15 pm »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »
Interesting.  Will this change the rating of the 17th?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »
It certainly will remove some of the stress one experiences on the 17th tee.
... "The Eisenhower Tree is such an iconic fixture and symbol of tradition at Augusta National," said Jack Nicklaus, an Augusta National member and six-time Masters winner. "It was such an integral part of the game and one that will be sorely missed.

"Over the years, it's come into play many, many times on the 17th hole. When I stood on the 17th tee, my first thought, always, was to stay away from Ike's Tree. Period. ... I hit it so many times over the years that I don't care to comment on the names I called myself and the names I might have called the tree. Ike's Tree was a kind choice. But looking back, Ike's Tree will be greatly missed." ...
More at ESPN

Rumor has it the golf club will have a replacement tree of some sort in time for the Masters. We'll see.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »
Isn't that the tree that foiled Woods on more than one occasion?  I'd think they really will have to replace it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
Most pros on most days can blow shots over that tree, no problem.  It's a "visual impairment" but usually does not come into play for the pros, unless it is a pressure situation.  Then it can get into the competitor's head, and he might hit it a little low or pull his drive, and then the tree comes into play.  But that's fairly rare these days when most pros can get over it with a three wood.

It will be interesting to see if the people at Augusta National plant a new one about 50 yards up the fairway.