Author Topic: Romney: Will take a long time to gauge impact of same-sex marriage  (Read 609 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/16/romney-will-take-long-time-gauge-impact-same-sex-m/

Romney: Will take a long time to gauge impact of same-sex marriage

By Tom Howell Jr.

The Washington Times

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Former Gov. Mitt Romney said Sunday if gay couples want to live together, then “that’s their right,” but he still feels marriage should be defined as a relationship between a man and woman.

“And I think the ideal setting for raising a child is in a setting where there’s a father and a mother,” Mr. Romney, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, told NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “Now, there are many other different settings that children are raised in, and people have the right to live their life as they want to. But I think marriage should be defined in the way that it’s been defined for several thousand years.”

NBC’s David Gregory noted that Massachusetts paved the way for same-sex marriage in earnest while Mr. Romney was governor, despite his objections. Now, 17 states and the District of Columbia allow it.

At the time, Mr. Romney said the change would have “a lasting impact” on society. On Sunday, he acknowledged it will take a long time to see what happens.

“It’s something which happens over generations, in fact,” he said. “And again, I think the ideal setting is where there’s a mom and a dad that can invest their time and their resources in supporting the development of a child.”

He said the issue is important to many Americans, but shouldn’t be framed in terms of political winners and losers.

“I think you stand for various principles. You communicate those to the American people, and they either support those or not,” he said. “Sometimes, if something is lost, well, you move on to the next issue. You wish you’d have won that one, but you move on.”

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Romney: Will take a long time to gauge impact of same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:08:47 pm »
Romney had the chance to put the brakes on the perverts when he was Governor and he didn't even try.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:15 pm »
What the impact is going to be isn't good. I know a gay guy (won't call him a friend - an acquaintance) what he posts on FB grosses me out... he lives in California and was one of those who fought for gay marriage there - well he and his partner of 30 years did marry and in less than a year they broke up (after 30 years) and are now "getting a divorce"........  oh and I know at one point they were actually advertising on Yahoo personals for another gay couple to do foursomes with them.......  in many cases it isn't just a matter of being gay - they really get into some of the most debauched things imaginable.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »
What the impact is going to be isn't good. I know a gay guy (won't call him a friend - an acquaintance) what he posts on FB grosses me out... he lives in California and was one of those who fought for gay marriage there - well he and his partner of 30 years did marry and in less than a year they broke up (after 30 years) and are now "getting a divorce"........  oh and I know at one point they were actually advertising on Yahoo personals for another gay couple to do foursomes with them.......  in many cases it isn't just a matter of being gay - they really get into some of the most debauched things imaginable.

When one defines their entire existence based solely on who they have sex with, nothing good can ever come of it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »
When one defines their entire existence based solely on who they have sex with, nothing good can ever come of it.
That's the sad thing about people who mistake what they do for who they are.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:39:22 pm »

Yep.........

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »

And it's why one cannot explain to them that moral disapproval is not hate.  Because we do not give them approval of their actions, it means we hate them.  They cannot grasp the "love the sinner, hate the sin" concept.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:37:47 pm »
And it's why one cannot explain to them that moral disapproval is not hate.  Because we do not give them approval of their actions, it means we hate them.  They cannot grasp the "love the sinner, hate the sin" concept.
Exactly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 03:54:11 pm »

Good point.

They define themselves by what they do (the sin), so it is impossible for them to understand how we can disapprove of what they do and still love them.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.