Author Topic: Does 1979 newspaper column shed light on 2008 campaign story?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Does 1979 newspaper column shed light on 2008 campaign story?
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
 FRANK MIELE/Daily Inter Lake | Updated Sep 28, 2012

Searching old newspapers is one of my favorite pastimes, and I have tried to use them many times to shed light on current events — or to inform readers about how the past is prologue to our very interesting present-day quandaries.

Recently, I came across a syndicated column from November 1979 that seemed to point 30 years into the future toward an obscure campaign issue that arose briefly in the 2008 presidential campaign.

Though by no means definitive, it provides an interesting insight, at least, into how Chicago politics intersected with the black power movement and Middle Eastern money at a certain point in time. Whether it has any greater relevance to the 2012 presidential campaign, I will allow the reader to decide. In order to accomplish that, I will also take the unusual step of providing footnotes and the end of this column so that each of you can do the investigative work for yourself.

The column itself had appeared in the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Evening Independent of Nov. 6, but it was the work of a veteran newspaperman who at the time was working for the prestigious Chicago Tribune and whose work was syndicated nationally. (1) 

So far as I know, this 1979 column has not previously been brought to light, but it certainly should be because it broke some very interesting news about the “rumored billions of dollars the oil-rich Arab nations are supposed to unload on American black leaders and minority institutions.” The columnist quoted a black San Francisco lawyer who said, “It’s not just a rumor. Aid will come from some of the Arab states.”

FRANK MIELE/Daily Inter Lake | Updated Sep 28, 2012

Searching old newspapers is one of my favorite pastimes, and I have tried to use them many times to shed light on current events — or to inform readers about how the past is prologue to our very interesting present-day quandaries.

Recently, I came across a syndicated column from November 1979 that seemed to point 30 years into the future toward an obscure campaign issue that arose briefly in the 2008 presidential campaign.

Though by no means definitive, it provides an interesting insight, at least, into how Chicago politics intersected with the black power movement and Middle Eastern money at a certain point in time. Whether it has any greater relevance to the 2012 presidential campaign, I will allow the reader to decide. In order to accomplish that, I will also take the unusual step of providing footnotes and the end of this column so that each of you can do the investigative work for yourself.

The column itself had appeared in the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Evening Independent of Nov. 6, but it was the work of a veteran newspaperman who at the time was working for the prestigious Chicago Tribune and whose work was syndicated nationally. (1) 

So far as I know, this 1979 column has not previously been brought to light, but it certainly should be because it broke some very interesting news about the “rumored billions of dollars the oil-rich Arab nations are supposed to unload on American black leaders and minority institutions.” The columnist quoted a black San Francisco lawyer who said, “It’s not just a rumor. Aid will come from some of the Arab states.”

Well, if anyone would know, it would have been this lawyer — Donald Warden, who had helped defend OPEC in an antitrust suit that year and had developed significant ties with the Saudi royal family since becoming a Muslim and taking the name Khalid Abdullah Tariq al-Mansour.

Al-Mansour told Jarrett that he had presented the “proposed special aid program to OPEC Secretary-General Rene Ortiz” in September 1979, and that “the first indications of Arab help to American blacks may be announced in December.” Maybe so, but I looked high and wide in newspapers in 1979 and 1980 for any other stories about this aid package funded by OPEC and never found it verified.

You would think that a program to spend “$20 million per year for 10 years to aid 10,000 minority students each year, including blacks, Arabs, Hispanics, Asians and native Americans” would be referred to somewhere other than one obscure 1979 column, but I haven’t found any other word of it.

Maybe the funding materialized, maybe it didn't, but what’s particularly noteworthy is that this black Islamic lawyer who “for several years [had] urged the rich Arab kingdoms to cultivate stronger ties to America’s blacks by supporting black businesses and black colleges and giving financial help to disadvantaged students” was also the same lawyer who allegedly helped arrange for the entrance of Barack Obama into Harvard Law School in 1988.

That tale had surfaced in 2008 when Barack Obama was a candidate for president and one of the leading black politicians in the country — Percy Sutton of New York — told an interviewer on a Manhattan TV news show that he had been introduced to Obama “by a friend who was raising money for him. The friend’s name is Dr. Khalid al-Mansour, from Texas. He is the principal adviser to one of the world’s richest men. He told me about Obama.”

Continue reading...http://m.dailyinterlake.com/opinion/columns/frank/article_7924e4f0-0468-11e2-8da2-0019bb2963f4.html

Original article here: http://m.dailyinterlake.com/opinion/columns/frank/article_7924e4f0-0468-11e2-8da2-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm_gal
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Does 1979 newspaper column shed light on 2008 campaign story?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
This is the same publication that published the old news article about Valerie Jarretts Muslim Brotherhood parents . Also from the same time period as this article.  BTW I remember discussing some if this in 2008, people were just so mesmerized by the thought of Obama the didn't want to hear the truth about him or demand background info on him... including McCain.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »
This is the same publication that published the old news article about Valerie Jarretts Muslim Brotherhood parents . Also from the same time period as this article.  BTW I remember discussing some if this in 2008, people were just so mesmerized by the thought of Obama the didn't want to hear the truth about him or demand background info on him... including McCain.

Being Roy Neary, pt 3 - Neary Rises
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »
Being Roy Neary, pt 3 - Neary Rises

Yes... that's it.  The info has been there for any respectable reporter to find and report.. if we had any respectable journalists left.  Is there one person here who thinks the loudest voice at Fox would touch this?  I haven't even heard Beck go here.  They should have, all of them.  They won't.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:05:55 pm »

Rap, you posted two lengthy articles the other day concerning how the Muslim Brotherhood had infiltrated the Republican party - in the second article it told how the MB had a 5 Step Plan and referred to documents from the 1990's on the methods they were using - really - to infiltrate America and take her over from within with the ultimate goal of instituting Sharia Law throughout the entire world.  This article does not deal with the Chicago connection - but it does explain their tactics as to installing "moles" in positions to where they are eventually able to take over.  I've excerpted part of that article below with a link to that thread:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,129717.msg526451.html#msg526451

"In the book that Andy did with a number of us, we looked at this question of the nonviolent stealthy techniques — I did mention you can buy it tonight, didn’t I?  Okay, just checking.  Government circles, law enforcement, intelligence, military and penal institutions — remember that for a moment, because I’m going to come back to it — but also these civil societies, groups and institutions have also been targeted by the Muslim Brotherhood for its civilization jihad.  Again, remember — same ultimate objective as al-Qaeda, just using a different tactical approach for the moment.  That’s the scene that I wanted to set for you.

And going to segue to the problem that you’ve been kind enough to stay here to listen about.  This is Tradecraft 101 in intelligence.  If you want to do what we just talked about on that slide — to destroy, or at least subvert, targeted institutions in a free society like ours — this is the kind of thing you do.  And again, this is right out of the Soviet playbook.  This is exactly what they did.

They often started, actually, with bringing in useful idiots, as they called them, or agents of influence.  But inevitably, they also were insinuating individuals that they would create a legend for.  They would promote a sort of new story about them, and they would try to discourage anybody from paying attention to the parts that were unhelpful.  They’d burl them in, they’d credential them as a member — ideally, as a prominent member — of the community.  And then these cats would start doing a wrecking operation, so as to destroy it from within by their own hands — by promoting ideas or policy initiatives or positions that were antithetical to what that community actually stood for or believed in."

Along with what Luis has posted above - I think we can plainly see where Obama has come from and how he got to where he is now.  Interesting article Luis! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:15:26 pm »
You're right, Alice.  Unfortunately we have too many among us with blinders in, calling people like us kooks and blindly supporting party over country... I think it's past time for party politics and time to save the country is short.. if not already past.  I fear for the country our generation is leaving the next, but so many of this younger generation seem to be okay with the idea of a Muslim world.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:59:42 pm »
You're right, Alice.  Unfortunately we have too many among us with blinders in, calling people like us kooks and blindly supporting party over country... I think it's past time for party politics and time to save the country is short.. if not already past. I fear for the country our generation is leaving the next, but so many of this younger generation seem to be okay with the idea of a Muslim world.

They've been so thoroughly indoctrinated to believe that any criticism of Islam is bigotry!  By the time they wake up and look around to see their civilization in ruins, it will be too late, and the only way they will get it back will be to have to build it again from scratch at the cost of massive amounts of blood.  Will they be willing to pay the price?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
  Will they be willing to pay the price?

I doubt it. Look at the before and after pictures of both Afghanistan and Iran - before they became radicalized women looked just like American women, today they are required to be covered head to toe... and that is only a small example.