Author Topic: The woodstove police strike again...  (Read 305 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
The woodstove police strike again...
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:13:33 PM by Chieftain »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: The woodstove police strike again...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
Well, you certainly are not going to move - too much invested financially and emotionally in the property and the nasty neighbors seem to have nothing better to do than harass you.  I think if you can afford to do so, I'd file a lawsuit to shut them all up once and for all.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
I know your home is your castle but - phone the agency. Invite an inspector around to see with his own eyes that you are in total compliance as far as your wood stove goes. Make him a cup of tea or coffee and have a chat while he's there, including mentions of your neighbor. A site inspection report on file will squelch the letters for good, especially with the additional notes a good inspector will add.

It's a PITA having to do that, but it pays dividends in the long term. Had a similar problem with our neighbor, over one of our trees. Their insurance is claiming the tree is causing subsidence. I got our borough surveyor out and got a subsidence report on our house. Costs nothing but a day waiting at home, they do that as part of their job, and the fact there is zero subsidence in our property is powerful evidence that the tree is not the problem.

As far as your neighbor goes - well, two can play the anonymous report game.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
I know your home is your castle but - phone the agency. Invite an inspector around to see with his own eyes that you are in total compliance as far as your wood stove goes. Make him a cup of tea or coffee and have a chat while he's there, including mentions of your neighbor. A site inspection report on file will squelch the letters for good, especially with the additional notes a good inspector will add.

It's a PITA having to do that, but it pays dividends in the long term. Had a similar problem with our neighbor, over one of our trees. Their insurance is claiming the tree is causing subsidence. I got our borough surveyor out and got a subsidence report on our house. Costs nothing but a day waiting at home, they do that as part of their job, and the fact there is zero subsidence in our property is powerful evidence that the tree is not the problem.

As far as your neighbor goes - well, two can play the anonymous report game.  :laugh:

That's the sticky wicket EC...they already inspected it when it was installed because it was an upgrade from the old one we had.  I have already provided make, model, serial number, and a picture of the installed stove for their files.  I keep up all the maintenance on it, and just had the front door window gasket installed down at the stove shop.

I have already done everything they require and then some, but it is never enough to placate some people, and in particular a politically correct public agency who thinks nothing of bullying private citizens.

yah Rap...I'm leaning heavily toward hiring a lawyer and letting him do my talking for me.  If I sue for enough money then maybe someone will reign in all of these harassers once and for all.

:smokin:

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
Re: an "anonymous 'citizen complaint' that on February 6, someone saw smoke coming out of my chimney"...

When, exactly did we all wake up to find ourselves having been transported back to Soviet Russia in 1937?

Your neighbor may be an environmentalist whack-job or a State-loving supplicant, or simply fearful of authority. It doesn't matter.

There's an old Russian proverb: Do not call a wolf to help you against the dogs.

Today it's your stove. Tomorrow, it will be your guns. And his, too.
Liberalism isn't really about making the world a better place. It's about reassuring the elites that they are good people for wanting to rule over it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:55 PM »
Chief, can you sue your neighbors for harassment?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf