Author Topic: California auto buyers favor Toyota Prius; rest of U.S. prefers trucks  (Read 236 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Re: California auto buyers favor Toyota Prius; rest of U.S. prefers trucks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »
Reading that article makes my head spin. Nothing about the fact 2 of the 3 major American auto builders failed.

Californians saw the crap Detroit foisted on an undiscriminating nation, and opted for better quality and economy starting in the 70s.

For people that know vehicles, hybrid is an excellent technology to improve mileage. The technology is tested, thanks to a big investment by Toyota--a business management decision completely opposed to the short term views which bankrupted the American former "big 3."

California has led the way to where American auto buyer tastes will go in the future. While GM killed off their Oldsmobile, then Pontiac, Saturn, Toyota was introducing Lexus then Scion, and of course the Prius.

So the theme of the article could very well be that California embraces the future. BMW has a fairly secret design development center near Ventura California. Almost all auto manufacturers have major design facilities in SoCal. Toyota has operated Calty Research, their North American design studio, since 1973 in Newport Beach CA.

My wife and I had a Chevrolet pickup for nearly 10 years and it was great. However our last Chevrolet sedan was crap. We are on our 3rd BMW, dating to about 1986. Own and drive each about 10 years and over 100,000 miles.

A really big seller in California is the Mini--a British legend which BMW bought, redesigned the body and engines, and sells like hotcakes. Young style, economy minded younger people love them.

Clue: America's auto headquarters is and remains Detroit. If I was President considering assistance to US auto makers, the first thing I'd say is for them to vacate Detroit, leave. Go to California.

There are winners, and losers. Fisker was a loser. Tesla is a winner. Last week I saw the new BMW I-3, their first volume electric vehicle.

Hybrid uses the best attributes of BOTH liquid hydrocarbon fuels, and electric power. And hybrid auto technology is now a mature technology.

In the last 15 years, GM has not been in the largest firms list, by market capitalization, but Toyota has.

Staying locked to a past killed GM. Big gas hogs, poor quality, lack of innovation, crooked unions, etc.

What the article says is that California embraces a different future, while the rest of the nation is locked tight to a failed past model.

Conservatism should embrace a free, high tech, innovative future, not cling to a rusty failed, corrupt past.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: California auto buyers favor Toyota Prius; rest of U.S. prefers trucks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
In my experience here, if there is someone on the road obstructing traffic by being either unable or unwilling to drive the speed limit, inevitably they are driving a Prius.

:smokin:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf