Author Topic: United Auto Workers Union Stunned by Devastating Defeat in Tennessee  (Read 616 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/14/united-auto-workers-union-stunned-by-devastating-defeat-in-tennessee/

United Auto Workers Union Stunned by Devastating Defeat in Tennessee
Feb. 14, 2014 11:05pm Jason Howerton   

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation, a devastating loss that derails the United Auto Workers union’s effort to organize Southern factories.

The 712-626 vote released late Friday stunned many labor experts who expected a UAW win because Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches.

The UAW for decades has tried without success to organize a foreign-owned plant in a region that’s wary of organized labor. The loss now makes it even harder for the union to recruit members at another Southern factory.

“If they can’t win this one, what can they win?” asked Art Schwartz, a former General Motors labor negotiator who now is a consultant in Ann Arbor, Mich.

UAW President Bob King, in a 2011 speech to workers, said the union has no long-term future if it can’t organize the Southern plants.

King, however, stuck to statements he made earlier that the union would seek a vote and respect any decision made by workers.

“While we certainly would have liked a victory for workers here, we deeply respect the Volkswagen Global Group Works Council, Volkswagen management and IG Metall for doing their best to create a free and open atmosphere for workers to exercise their basic human right to form a union,” King said in a statement.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: United Auto Workers Union Stunned by Devastating Defeat in Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:29:20 am »
712-626 .......  too close. How many of the yes votes moved south when Detroit went bust?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
712-626 .......  too close. How many of the yes votes moved south when Detroit went bust?

Considering the company was "neutral" in this debate, this is a terrific outcome.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:11 pm »

far enough apart to be statistically meaningful.  It matters, and it counts.  Congratulations to the stalwarts in Tenn. who refused to be duped by the UAW and their liberal fellow-travelers.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »
Hallelujah!!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:40:07 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
far enough apart to be statistically meaningful.  It matters, and it counts.  Congratulations to the stalwarts in Tenn. who refused to be duped by the UAW and their liberal fellow-travelers.

:amen:  :amen:  :amen: and  :amen: again!

This is a HUGE defeat for the forces of evil!

And you can bet your A$$ that O is getting an ear full over it about now!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:59:17 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:00 pm »
Considering the company was "neutral" in this debate, this is a terrific outcome.

Completely agree.

This is AWESOME!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »
United Auto Workers Union Stunned by Devastating Defeat in Tennessee

And the USA beat Russia in hockey this morning.

1980 revisited? (Enter Twilight Zone music)  Ronald Reagan lives!!!