Author Topic: Ted Cruz isn't planning to be in the Senate very long  (Read 11505 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Ted Cruz isn't planning to be in the Senate very long
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:36 am »
From the time Nixon was elected Senator, it was 18 years until he was elected President. (1950-1968)

From the time Reagan was elected Governor it was 13 years until he was elected President. (1967-1980)

Cruz comes up way short, when looked at in an historic light. Plenty of others have put in their training time. Governors Perry, Walker, Bush, Huckabee, Martinez, Kasich, Brewer, Sandoval, Christie, would be a list of examples.

Back during my corporate career, we discovered an interesting phenomena - why management went outside for supervisory positions, instead of promote from within.

It was because they knew all the weakness for current employees, but outsiders had no known weaknesses to them.

Cruz reminds me of that situation. In his short time he's made a few speeches, a couple of filibusters. He has no record of accomplishments whatsoever, yet he's a legend in no time.

I've said it before...if Cruz didn't exist, we'd have to invent one (him)

We should expect the celebrity culture and MSM to build up Ted Cruz as some rookie phenom.   "Build the target...identify....etc."  It doesn't mean we have to get caught up in it.

In the meantime.....I'll keep praying every night that Sarah Palin wakes up one morning with a voice like Susan Sarandan.   :bolt:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:18 am »
Reagan was an amiable human being who made an effort to work with everybody.  And he did work with everybody.

Reagan was a president. Cruz is only a Senator. Reagan got cooperation; Obama is dictatorial. The democrats don't want to cooperate, and they are the instigators. They hammer away, and guess who is allowing themselves to be hammered? The days of mediation between parties is over, unless we get someone in who is intelligent with common sense, and the guts to stand by his beliefs. That is what Reagan did, and like it or not, the democrats were in no position to defy him any more than they already had. They found that the MSM and themselves did not intimidate Reagan, and Reagan went on to be one of our best presidents.

Obviously this is pure speculation on my part.....  but lately, upon seeing his name, "11th commandment," and statements on "compromise" constantly being trotted out in support of the GOPe style tactics and politicians, I wonder if he would say in response, something along the lines of: "Well, those were different times....  we are fighting a different kind of evil now, the kind of compromise that I was able to broker back then really isn't possible with this crew.....  Oh, and as far as my 11th Commandment, you need to understand, when I said that, being a "Republican" actually meant something....."

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:43 am »
Obviously this is pure speculation on my part.....  but lately, upon seeing his name, "11th commandment," and statements on "compromise" constantly being trotted out in support of the GOPe style tactics and politicians, I wonder if he would say in response, something along the lines of: "Well, those were different times....  we are fighting a different kind of evil now, the kind of compromise that I was able to broker back then really isn't possible with this crew.....  Oh, and as far as my 11th Commandment, you need to understand, when I said that, being a "Republican" actually meant something....."

Wow!   Something to ponder indeed!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2014, 01:59:42 am »
We both live in Oregon, right?  What are the odds of removing Wyden or Merkely with even a moderate GOP
such as Gordon Smith, let alone somebody like Ted Cruz?  You're hoping for some massive shift that defies reality.  I'm sure it feels nice ideolgically to hold firm on your view, but reality makes it a completely unreasonable expectation.

There are 14 states with two Republican Senators.
There are 17 states with one Republican Senator.

Subtotal 31 states with one+ Republican Senators, or 62%.

There are 19 states which have no Republican Senators, or 38%. Of those 16 have a democrat Governor as well (exceptions New Mexico, Michigan, New Jersey). And of the 19 states, 17 voted for Obama in 2014. Of those 19 states, 15 have democrat domination of state legislatures.

I therefore  conclude that 30-40% of the states are out of reach for Republicans at this time.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:23 am »
From the time Nixon was elected Senator, it was 18 years until he was elected President. (1950-1968)

From the time Reagan was elected Governor it was 13 years until he was elected President. (1967-1980)

Cruz comes up way short, when looked at in an historic light. Plenty of others have put in their training time. Governors Perry, Walker, Bush, Huckabee, Martinez, Kasich, Brewer, Sandoval, Christie, would be a list of examples.

Back during my corporate career, we discovered an interesting phenomena - why management went outside for supervisory positions, instead of promote from within.

It was because they knew all the weakness for current employees, but outsiders had no known weaknesses to them.

Cruz reminds me of that situation. In his short time he's made a few speeches, a couple of filibusters. He has no record of accomplishments whatsoever, yet he's a legend in no time.

Good post.  Reagan honed his message - and delivery - for decades. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline olde north church

« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:40 am »
There are 14 states with two Republican Senators.
There are 17 states with one Republican Senator.

Subtotal 31 states with one+ Republican Senators, or 62%.

There are 19 states which have no Republican Senators, or 38%. Of those 16 have a democrat Governor as well (exceptions New Mexico, Michigan, New Jersey). And of the 19 states, 17 voted for Obama in 2014. Of those 19 states, 15 have democrat domination of state legislatures.

I therefore  conclude that 30-40% of the states are out of reach for Republicans at this time.

I respectfully disagree.  Nothing is out of reach with the proper message and correct messenger.  Not all at them concurrently but nothing is out of reach.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2014, 02:08:06 am »

I said something similar elsewhere. This is a different landscape and these are different Democrats. Radical, kooky, dismissive of the free market. And while Obama brazenly ignores the Constitution, Democrats – oops, I meant to say Republicans – run for the tall grass.

It'll take new leadership in Congress to fight this fight. At least Cruz, Lee and Rand are making a good start in the Senate.