Author Topic: Piers Morgan questioned 'under caution' by Scotland Yard's hacking squad  (Read 847 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I know it's technically World News, but he's your problem now and everyone should get a smile out of it.

Via the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/feb/14/piers-morgan-questioned-scotland-yard-hacking-squad

Piers Morgan, the CNN presenter who used to edit the Daily Mirror, has been interviewed under caution by Scotland Yard detectives investigating phone-hacking.

In a statement to The Guardian through his spokesperson, Morgan said: "In early November I was asked to attend an interview by officers from Operation Weeting when I was next in the UK.

"This was further to a full witness statement I had already freely provided. I attended that interview as requested on 6 December 2013."

Morgan was editor of the Mirror from 1995 until he was fired in 2004 over the publication of hoax pictures that were claimed to show Iraqi prisoners being abused by British soldiers.

In 2006, Morgan wrote an article in the Daily Mail in which he claimed to have been played the tape of a message that Paul McCartney had left for his wife, Heather Mills, on her mobile phone.

While giving evidence to the Leveson inquiry, he reiterated that he had heard the tape but refused to say who had played it to him. He told the inquiry that he did not believe that phone hacking had occurred at the Mirror.

But he downplayed an interview he had given to Press Gazette in 2007 in which he said that phone hacking was an "investigative practice that everyone knows was going on at almost every paper in Fleet Street for years".

Another witness to the inquiry, the BBC2 Newsnight presenter, Jeremy Paxman recalled a lunch at the Mirror headquarters in 2002 at which he said Morgan described to him how to hack into a mobile phone.

More at link.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Piers Morgan questioned 'under caution' by Scotland Yard's hacking squad
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »
I know it's technically World News, but he's your problem now and everyone should get a smile out of it.

Via the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/feb/14/piers-morgan-questioned-scotland-yard-hacking-squad

More at link.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Please - can we "return" him? 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »
Please - can we "return" him?

Sorry - All sales are final.  :nono:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »
Sorry - All sales are final.  :nono:

Thanks alot!

Maybe we can sell him on ebay really cheap!

:dammit: 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:12 pm »
Morgan was editor of the Mirror from 1995 until he was fired in 2004 over the publication of hoax pictures that were claimed to show Iraqi prisoners being abused by British soldiers.

That wouldn't cost him his current job.

It would probably get him a raise.....     **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:11:17 pm »

That wouldn't cost him his current job.

It would probably get him a raise.....     **nononono*

That was a massive scandal over here. Not that the Mirror was ever a bastion of integrity, but there are certain things just not done. So glad Piers Moron is no longer on our shores.