Author Topic: Michael Sam: Studying the Game Tape [Gay Potential Draftee NFL]  (Read 1169 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Michael Sam: Studying the Game Tape [Gay Potential Draftee NFL]
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »
Michael Sam: Studying the Game Tape

We’re learning about Michael Sam the man. But what about Michael Sam the player? We watched every snap he played in 12 games for Missouri last fall to get an unfiltered look at the 2014 draft prospect. Here's what we found

Greg A. Bedard

I knew very little about Michael Sam until Sunday night, when the draft-bound Missouri defensive end announced he is gay. (I don’t have time to watch much college football during the NFL season aside from a few big games here and there.) I read a few of the stories about his announcement, but that was the extent of my knowledge about Sam.

On Monday morning, my boss, Peter King, called with an edict: “Don’t talk to any scouts or general managers. Just find as much tape as you can on Michael Sam, watch it and write what you think.”

Several hours, 12 games and 922 Missouri defensive snaps later (I couldn’t get my hands on the Indiana and Kentucky games), I feel I have a firm grasp on the 6-1 ½, 260-pound Michael Sam, NFL draft prospect. Film doesn’t care whether you’re gay or straight, black or magenta: You are what you show on the field.

Here’s what I learned:

He plays hard. When Sam is on the field, he’s always engaged and plays to the whistle. Even though that aspect of his game isn’t extraordinary (other players have higher motors), it’s a solid NFL foundation. However, there is one important aspect to consider: Missouri plays with a strict defensive line rotation. Sam played 58 percent of the snaps in the 12 games I watched. That’s a bit of a double-edged sword, depending on your point of view. On one hand you could say that Sam could have put up even better stats than his 11.5 sacks and 7.5 additional tackles for a loss if the rotation weren’t so strict. On the other hand you could say, “Well, he should put up those kinds of stats and play to the whistle since he plays less than NFL starters. He received more than enough rest during a game.” I lean towards the latter because …

Missouri’s defense has better players than Sam. If Sam was a standout, you would see the Missouri coaches break from the rotation late in the game to get the best players on the field. That didn’t happen, and it stood out in the must-win finale against Texas A&M. On the Aggies’ final three possessions in a 21-21 game, Sam played five of nine snaps. It could be argued that Sam is the fourth-best pass rush prospect on the Tigers. Right end Kony Ealy, who could be a top-10 pick this year, drew much more attention from offenses and had to face the opponent’s best tackle, on the left side of the offensive line. Markus Golden, Sam’s backup on the left side, will be drafted higher than Sam when he enters the draft a year from now. Golden could be a star. He is more athletic and faster than Sam, and watching the Tigers play, I thought Golden was better. There could be other factors as to why he played behind Sam, including Sam’s leadership and smarts. Or perhaps the Missouri coaches didn’t want Golden, a junior-college transfer, to start, in order to increase his chances of staying another season. Sophomore Shane Ray is also more athletic than Sam, a quality valued on special teams at the next level. Same goes for senior end/outside linebacker Brayden Burnett.

In his final five games plus 40 snaps against Oklahoma State—the best competition Sam faced all season—he had no splash plays. The right tackles he faced in that stretch were more of what he will see in the pros.

much more at:   http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/13/michael-sam-film-study-nfl-draft/?eref=sihp
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online rustynail

Re: Michael Sam: Studying the Game Tape [Gay Potential Draftee NFL]
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:34:58 pm »
Is he HIV+?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:45:17 pm »
Is he HIV+?

Why would that be pertinent?

He hopefully will be judged/evaluated on his on-field prowess, and not on his cultural uniqueness.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online rustynail

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »
HIV status is not a "cultural uniqueness".  The team owners and their insurance company might  want  to know.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:05:55 pm »
HIV status is not a "cultural uniqueness".  The team owners and their insurance company might  want  to know.

Are you in either of those categories?  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:15:24 pm »
Are you in either of those categories?  :whistle:

Oh, I understand him now....he was thinking of his blood/body fluids as dangerous and the legal exposure may even trump the locker room exposure.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:31:46 pm »
I remember when Magic Johnson sought to play again, but players were worried about blood.

So Johnson backed down, didn't play.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:40:30 pm »
I remember when Magic Johnson sought to play again, but players were worried about blood.

So Johnson backed down, didn't play.

Okay...so the jist of the article suggests that Sam is at best, mediocre.

My cynicism knows no bounds...he's figured that by making himself a victim, that he figures, "There's a pony in there somewhere!"

He's looking for a chance at a discrimination lawsuit.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »

My cynicism knows no bounds...he's figured that by making himself a victim, that he figures, "There's a pony in there somewhere!"

JMHO, but coming out may actually work against him being picked on many levels.  Like someone said on a program I listened to this week - a lot of college players wash out in the majors and if this is the case then he would cry discrimination if he is a terrible player and a team tries to get rid of him... and the other thing is a lot of men are not thrilled with having someone in the locker room they think may be checking them out in the shower.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:49:34 pm »

and the other thing is a lot of men are not thrilled with having someone in the locker room they think may be checking them out in the shower.

LOL~  Probably the opposite.

The football players I know would install a pole....maybe a disco light.   

Just dare them to step out of the norm....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:32 pm »

I suspect Jason Collins "came out" because he knew, as a mediocre NBA player, his career was nearing an end and perhaps glomming onto the victim status of homosexuals would guilt some team into signing him. Didn't work, but at least he got to sit with the Wookie at a State of the Union address, so there's that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org