Author Topic: Tea party groups are making and spending millions, but not on candidates  (Read 1417 times)

Offline happyg

Alexis Levinson

Two well-known tea party groups spent more than 80 percent of the money they raised in 2013 not on the causes and candidates that they say it is their mission to support, but on operating expenditures, like paying consultants, companies who produce mailing materials and renting mailing lists.

The new Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund and the independent expenditure arm of Tea Party Express — the Our Country Deserves Better PAC — spent a majority of the money they raised on things other than political expenditures.

The Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund has been raising money since early last year. The goal of the super PAC, said Tea Party Patriots co-founder Jenny Beth Martin in a statement posted to the website, is to be a “community organizing for conservatives,” that will help “provide activists with resources… to organize friends, neighbors, and communities around a freedom agenda in an effort to put people in office who will be true representatives of the people.”

“The mission of the PAC will be to support good citizen-candidates to run for public office and represent the views of the majority of Americans in all levels of government,” Martin added.

So far, no money has been spent to support those candidates. According to the year-end spending report filed with the Federal Election Commission, of the $6,405,087 that the group has raised since early last year, $5,335,162 has been spent, and all of it has been put toward operating expenditures.

A vast majority of the donations came from donors who gave under $200 — the committee reported $4,702,716 in unitemized donations under the $200 mark.

The sums that were paid out by the group were much larger.

More of article at link:
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/13/tea-party-groups-are-making-and-spending-millions-but-not-on-candidates/#ixzz2tE9Rpbhi

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Tea party groups are making and spending millions, but not on candidates
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »
Hey, I'm a community organizer... but for the right, which makes me better.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:25:20 pm »
Social breakdown.

It explains where we are, and where we're going as a nation.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »
How much is Jenny Beth stuffing in her Spanx? 

No wonder she stays in such high dudgeon.  Anger is good for business.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:17 pm »
Spanx, really? Let's try to think about something other than women's underwear here. The future of our nation is at risk.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:20 pm »
How much is Jenny Beth stuffing in her Spanx? 

No wonder she stays in such high dudgeon.  Anger is good for business.

I was wrong about you Sink! You are NOT Karl Rove!

Your are Dave Carney!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

Your are Dave Carney!

:beer:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
Thoughtful TP movement members would demand the same fiscal accountability of their leaders, that they rightfully want from the US government.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
Thoughtful TP movement members would demand the same fiscal accountability of their leaders, that they rightfully want from the US government.

Pay attention from about 1:40 seconds into the video, and see if you can see relevance to your statement in what Friedman is saying.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »
Good post, Luis. Frankly I wish the current people at NRO would review more of their founders words.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »
Pay attention from about 1:40 seconds into the video, and see if you can see relevance to your statement in what Friedman is saying.

If I could I would ensure that everyone in this country saw that video again and again until what Dr Friedman says soaked in!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:45:09 pm »
Good post, Luis. Frankly I wish the current people at NRO would review more of their founders words.

NRO was founded by William F. Buckley, Jr.

Friedman was an early contributor to NRO, but not a founder.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:52 pm »
NRO was founded by William F. Buckley, Jr.

Friedman was an early contributor to NRO, but not a founder.

Sorry, yes you are correct.  But NRO is still a mere shadow of the founding days.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:55 pm »
If I could I would ensure that everyone in this country saw that video again and again until what Dr Friedman says soaked in!

The point I was trying to make here, is that we should never forget that (as Friedman points out) irrespective of the ideological foundations that all politicians from far right to far left of the political spectrum claim to stand on, the real driving force behind their actions is a desire to garner power that can be wielded by force of government.

Believing that any political organization is up and running out of sheer noble intentions, because they spout out the things that we want to hear is simply silly. They KNOW that the way to power is paved via the support they get by parroting the very things that a group of people say and/or think, right back at them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:52:51 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »

Your are Dave Carney!

I'll take that as a compliment.

Dave Carney was behind Rick Perry's rise and successful campaigns and is on track to make Greg Abbott then next Texas governor.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 01:39:56 am »
The point I was trying top make here, is that we should never forget that (as Friedman points out) irrespective of the ideological foundations that all politicians from far right to far left of the political spectrum claim to stand on, the real driving force behind their actions is a desire to garner power that can be wielded by force of government.

Believing that any political organization is up and running out of sheer noble intentions, because they spout out the things that we want to hear is simply silly. They KNOW that the way to power is paved via the support they get by parroting the very things that a group of people say and/or think, right back at them.

Bingo...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 01:54:53 am »
I'll take that as a compliment.

Dave Carney was behind Rick Perry's rise and successful campaigns and is on track to make Greg Abbott then next Texas governor.

He was also very much behind the Rick Perry debacle of a presidential run!

Nuff said!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 02:53:16 am »
He was also very much behind the Rick Perry debacle of a presidential run!

Nuff said!

Rick Perry's the one who screwed that up with his "oops." 

You don't like Rick Perry?  He's been one of the best governors Texas has ever had.

You don't like anybody.  Hope you don't have a dog.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:01 am »
I knew if I read long enough I find something we could agree on.  Milton Friedman is all that and a bag of chips.  He totally decimated Donahue.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:32 am »
Rick Perry's the one who screwed that up with his "oops." 

You don't like Rick Perry?  He's been one of the best governors Texas has ever had.

You don't like anybody.  Hope you don't have a dog.

Never said I don't like Rick Perry!  I think he has served Texas well but if he wants to move beyond being the governor of Texas he had better learn to talk about the things he really believes instead of listening to idiots like Dave Carney!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »

Friedman was a remarkable communicator. Donahue could only fidget and smile in response to self evident truth. Choke on it Donahue.