Author Topic: Ted Cruz's debt ceiling filibuster puts heat on Cornyn, other GOP senators  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Ted Cruz's debt ceiling filibuster puts heat on Cornyn, other GOP senators
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »
Gen. Lee thought Pickett was a fighter too.

Yeas, well... history settled this argument.

BTW, I'm actually paraphrasing Lincoln on Grant when I say that.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/ulyssessgrant

He is incredibly lacking in self-awareness.  Often assuming to speak for the American people.

I don't know of a single politician in the Federal government who doesn't assume the mantle of spokesman for the American people.

That being said if the primary voters picked him in 2014 I'd vote for him.  He'd be worlds better than any rat.  But the GOP primary voters will never nominate him for President.  He doesn't unify the party.

I won't.

He does not qualify for the office under Article II, Section 1, Clause iv of the Constitution.

The GOPe, or what I like to call the grown ups.

That's funny!

We all have our nicknames for them I guess.

I like to call them either The Other Democratic Party, or the "Los Lost Cojones Gang".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:57:27 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2014, 03:01:54 pm »
He does not qualify for the office under Article II, Section 1, Clause iv of the Constitution.

I happen to agree with you on that point but it mystifies me that the founders laid out special qualifications for the office of President yet identified no method of vetting candidates for that office to ensure compliance! At least none that I am aware of.

Who will do that and HOW will they do it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:21:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09:34 pm »
The only thing the "grown-ups" are is complicit in federal government expansion.

Other than protect and defend the Constitution (and all amendments), national defense (covers NASA and sciences related to defense), and regulating interstate commerce I can't think of a single thing that is constitutionally required of the federal government – yet, their hand is in everything. They're spending money like there's no tomorrow!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »
The only thing the "grown-ups" are is complicit in federal government expansion.

Other than protect and defend the Constitution (and all amendments), national defense (covers NASA and sciences related to defense), and regulating interstate commerce I can't think of a single thing that is constitutionally required of the federal government – yet, their hand is in everything. They're spending money like there's no tomorrow!

I'd add one thing - and not a popular thing in conservative circles. Art grants.

Now before you haul out p*ss Jesus or paintings done with the artists own fecal matter, hear me out. Art is not what some snobs drinking inferior wine in a loft in New York says it is. It's a way of looking at the world and actually thinking about the world. Making others think about the world too. You know it when you see it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 04:11:29 pm »
I'd add one thing - and not a popular thing in conservative circles. Art grants.

Now before you haul out p*ss Jesus or paintings done with the artists own fecal matter, hear me out. Art is not what some snobs drinking inferior wine in a loft in New York says it is. It's a way of looking at the world and actually thinking about the world. Making others think about the world too. You know it when you see it.

I agree in this sense. State schools in New York City when I attended included the arts in addition to academics. They engaged us in music, song, learning instruments, theater and dance, drawing, painting, sculpture. I mean, it was full bore, every student involved. School was well-rounded – physical fitness was also on our plates.

I don't think that's happening today.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 04:35:02 pm »
I agree in this sense. State schools in New York City when I attended included the arts in addition to academics. They engaged us in music, song, learning instruments, theater and dance, drawing, painting, sculpture. I mean, it was full bore, every student involved. School was well-rounded – physical fitness was also on our plates.

I don't think that's happening today.

I know the physical fitness aspect is not - at least not here, and not from the people I know well with children in the US. One of my grand daughters has an inhaler. Asthma, anxiety triggered. She is not permitted to do PE at school. So she comes home and we do a little training together before she goes off to her karate class.

The art aspect though .... it horrifies me. I am all in favor of kids being creative. You can't stop them, so use it! But they get little exposure to the arts.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 05:29:25 pm »
I know the physical fitness aspect is not - at least not here, and not from the people I know well with children in the US. One of my grand daughters has an inhaler. Asthma, anxiety triggered. She is not permitted to do PE at school. So she comes home and we do a little training together before she goes off to her karate class.

The art aspect though .... it horrifies me. I am all in favor of kids being creative. You can't stop them, so use it! But they get little exposure to the arts.

Do it in school not through grants...a. the grant system is overly abused and b. Not the federal government's job... schools and what is taught in schools should be returned to the states and only the states.  Jimmy Carter's Federal take over of schools here is ad big a disaster as every other Federal program.. They use it to push their progressive agenda on our children.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »

Do it in school not through grants...a. the grant system is overly abused and b. Not the federal government's job... schools and what is taught in schools should be returned to the states and only the states.  Jimmy Carter's Federal take over of schools here is ad big a disaster as every other Federal program.. They use it to push their progressive agenda on our children.

Teaching wise - yes. It should be as much a part of the core as reading and math. But in terms of creating art - I don't mind shaking the moths out of the wallet to support it. May not LIKE it, but that means very little. There were a lot of people hated the Sistine chapel, too.

Don't support the arts? You wind up with America's Got Talent and Honey Boo Boo. Art rarely pays.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 06:02:15 pm »
Teaching wise - yes. It should be as much a part of the core as reading and math. But in terms of creating art - I don't mind shaking the moths out of the wallet to support it. May not LIKE it, but that means very little. There were a lot of people hated the Sistine chapel, too.

Don't support the arts? You wind up with America's Got Talent and Honey Boo Boo. Art rarely pays.

Then use private grants... not public tax money.  This is where our societies differ, EC... over here we think these things are not our governments business yo pick and choose funding social programs...even charities.. it  should come from the individuals and private sector.  Frankly our schools need yo return yo the state and teaching the three Rd, science art or music and mandatory phys ed... but again under the states not the Feds.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776