Author Topic: EPA's Wood-Burning Stove Ban Has Chilling Consequences For Many Rural People  (Read 623 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Rapunzel

What are the going to do? come knock on your door and inspect your stove!!!!!!  How much more are people going to take.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I have a feeling it is like Uncle Obama's cash for clunkers. Many of his cronies will get rich somehow, off of this.

I remember years go saying, what is next they tax kids lemon aid stands..and they did.
Surreal times.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:22:43 PM by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline Rapunzel

Another missed opportunity by SCOTUS pre-Obama.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
EPA,IRS,DOEduc all need dismantled down.

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
What are the going to do? come knock on your door and inspect your stove!!!!!!  How much more are people going to take.

No, and once again, let me introduce a few facts, please, since none of you bothered to find out what the real story is.

What EPA is doing is updating the standards for new wood stoves and in particular new pellet stoves.  Old stoves are extremely inefficient with the majority of the energy going up the chimney as smoke.  Modern woodstoves preheat the incoming combustion air so that the smoke burns inside the stove and never makes it to the chimney.  Old wood stoves are less than 10% efficient, where new stoves are 70-80% efficient.  They emit almost no particulate matter and they don't smoke when operating.

Washington State has the highest standards for the production of woodstoves and pellet stoves, and this new EPA standard will bring the rest of the country up to Washington's standards.  This means news stoves will have to meet the new standards, and these standards have absolutely no effect on existing stoves.  Nobody is going to come and take your stove.  Nobody is going to come and demand to inspect your stove.  These standards will ONLY apply to newly manufactured stoves at some point after the standards are approved.

Our new stove uses half of the wood the old one did and we use it for primary heat in our house.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:33:51 PM by Chieftain »

Offline Rapunzel

I'm fortunate I seldom ever need supplemental heat.  The last two days I had the sliding doors open all day and in the winter, unless it's a cloudy day, I get full afternoon sun in the windows on the front of the house and solar heating. I can't remember the last time my fireplace was used.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I'm fortunate I seldom ever need supplemental heat.  The last two days I had the sliding doors open all day and in the winter, unless it's a cloudy day, I get full afternoon sun in the windows on the front of the house and solar heating. I can't remember the last time my fireplace was used.

We are talking Apples and Dinosaurs here.....there is a tremendous difference between a fireplace and a woodstove.....

:smokin:

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
We are talking Apples and Dinosaurs here.....there is a tremendous difference between a fireplace and a woodstove.....

That is mostly true but not entirely. I happen to have a very highly efficient fireplace made by Heatilator. Not inexpensive by any means but well worth the money especially if you live in a place where wood is there for the taking as I do.

Offline Rapunzel

True, just saying where I live I really don't need either. 

We used to visit friends who lived up the coast of California in Eureka, they had a heatilator - like Bigun describes - though I'm sure now as modern as what they build today. We had another friend who had a cabin up on the coast above San Francisco, she had a wood stove. I still remember how cold it was until someone got up and fed wood into the stove to warm the place up in the morning.  My husband normally "volunteered" when we were visiting her place.  I imagine there is a lot of these old stoves out there.

Offline PzLdr

I has "chilling consequences" only if the stove owners/ users obey it. They shouldn't. I've become a good progressive. I won't obey any law, court decision, executive order, administrative reg. I disagree with. F*ck 'em!.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf